Concerts

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Got my ticket in the mail over the weekend to see Paul McCartney in DC next month. :biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

aliantha wrote:Got my ticket in the mail over the weekend to see Paul McCartney in DC next month. :biggrin:
Lucky you! I'm not a huge fan, but I saw him 3 or 4 years ago and he puts on a great show! the crowd's 'na na na na, na na na na , hey hey hey' went on for about half an hour after he'd left the stage!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Stonemaybe wrote:
aliantha wrote:Got my ticket in the mail over the weekend to see Paul McCartney in DC next month. :biggrin:
Lucky you! I'm not a huge fan, but I saw him 3 or 4 years ago and he puts on a great show! the crowd's 'na na na na, na na na na , hey hey hey' went on for about half an hour after he'd left the stage!
Good to know! Maybe I'll have a chance at getting on the Metro before the stadium empties out, then! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I will be seeing the Pogues in Denver Oct. 23rd. Yippee yow!
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Cagliostro wrote:I will be seeing the Pogues in Denver Oct. 23rd. Yippee yow!
My condolences. :wink:
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Cagliostro wrote:I will be seeing the Pogues in Denver Oct. 23rd. Yippee yow!
My envious congratulations! I'd love to see them. :)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Saw Cheap trick, Poison, and Def Leppard last night.

I've only seen Cheap Trick once before, back in 1988 or '89. I said the same thing last night that I said then; I forget how many great songs they have, and I need to get more of their stuff. Robin Zander has to be pushing 60, and his voice sounds as good as it ever did.

I've seen Poison 5 or 6 times, and I have to say, they get better every time I see them. Two things that make them great......They're phenomenal entertainers. They play to the crowd as well as any band I've ever seen. The other, absolutely shocking thing, is that they have a rock-solid rhythm section in Bobby Dall and Rikki Rockett. Their backbone lets CC go batshit insane with his leads and fills.

I think I've missed one Def Leppard tour since 1983, so I'm real familiar with their shows. They're still a great act, though sadly Joe Elliot's voice isn't what it once was. Still, they had a great setlist and an awesome stage show. They act and perform as though they're still in their Hysteria prime.

Which, one could argue, they are. Nissan Pavilion holds 25,000 people. I didn't do a head count, but the lawn was packed, and other than two sections of pavilion seats that obviously weren't released for sale, it was packed (I'd guess 22,000 give or take). And from start to finish, everyone was on their feet, singing along and dancing. Def Leppard only played one song from their new album, but the crowd knew it and sang along. Ironically, the crowd (which was younger than I expected) new more of the lyrics to "C'mon, C'mon" than it did to "Bringin' on the Heartache".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....If you have the opportunity to see either Poison or Def Leppard (or Cheap Trick) in concert, go see them. You won't be disappointed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

I will be taking my daughter and her friend to Warped Tour this Thursday. It could be a long day for me...
... nobody I know.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

AjK wrote:I will be taking my daughter and her friend to Warped Tour this Thursday. It could be a long day for me...
Oh, an old classmate of mine just posted to her FB Wall that her nephew is in a band in that tour. Meant nothing to me.

If Escape the Fate has a set, let me know what they're like. Her nephew is named Craig Mabbitt. No idea what he does in the band though, since I don't know them...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

wikipedia wrote:Band members

* Craig Mabbitt – lead vocals (since 2008)
* Max Green - bass, backing vocals (since 2004)
* Bryan "Monte" Money – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, backing vocals (since 2004)
* Robert Ortiz – drums, percussion (since 2004)
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thanks dAN.
Considering I know his aunt Brenda through chorus, that comes as no surprise...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Jeez, Cail, you were at Nissan Pavilion and you didn't stop to see me? I'm hurt. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Like it's a long ride regardless..........Here in the wilds of Bethesda.... :lol:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cail wrote:Like it's a long ride regardless..........Here in the wilds of Bethesda.... :lol:
I dunno, I have a friend in Alexandria who talks about making it an overnight trip when she comes out to visit. I have to keep reminding her that she's only 45 minutes away. :roll: :lol:

Anyway, so, Paul McCartney last night. I assumed (silly me!) that if the ticket said 7:30, the show would start by 8 or shortly thereafter. Oh haha -- it was after 9pm before he took the stage. Doesn't he know us old people have early bedtimes? :lol: I'd long since eaten my overpriced Papa John's pizza, and gotten bored with the DJs and pulled out the book I brought for the Metro ride, and gotten bored with *that*. :roll: Side note: My ticket was in the cheap seats, waaaay up top at FedEx Field. It wasn't until after I climbed all the ramps to that top level that I found out that the tour t-shirts were only on sale on the *bottom* level. So anyhow, after sitting in my seat for an hour and a half, waiting for the show to start and going "should I/shouldn't I," I finally said, "That's it, dammit, I'm going back down to get a t-shirt." I was just completing my purchase when the cheering erupted. And then I had to get back upstairs to my seat. So I missed the first two songs. But I got the t-shirt! :lol:

That said: great concert, great back-up band. But jeez, I couldn't help but be melancholy at a couple of points. He sang "My Love" and said that he'd written it for Linda (which I knew, of course), and I thought, sh*t, Linda's gone. Then he did "Paperback Writer" and I thought, wait, didn't John sing that? Sh*t, John's gone. And then he did "Lady Madonna" and I thought, sh*t, George is gone, too. It just brought it back to me, how much he's gone through -- how many people he's lost.

Oh, and they did "A Day in the Life" and he got to "I'd love to turn you on," and I remembered how the Beatles hung out with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (who is also gone) and started all the psychedelic stuff in the '60s. And they did "Helter Skelter" and I couldn't help but remember the book of the same name about the Sharon Tate murders. He also mentioned knowing Jimi Hendrix (another one gone) and how Hendrix had Sgt's Pepper's memorized three days after it came out, but couldn't tune his own guitar. :lol: And he played "Back in the USSR" and I thought about how he and John wrote it in response to the Beach Boys' "California Girls" (and two of *them* are gone, too).

There's just so much he's been through. A remarkable survivor. And even at 67, he can still rock. :)

The rest of the night's story involves how I got turned around leaving the stadium and ended up having a *really* long walk back to the Metro station and didn't get home 'til almost 3am. :Z: I had to change trains at one point and had to keep pacing on the platform so I wouldn't fall asleep...

EZ Board Survivor

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Just ordered our tickets to see T-SO in Orlando December 5th.
Third show/third different venue for Hyperception and me, first time Beorn is seeing them.

The fan club presale was frustrating. I was signed in, inline at 9:30 for a 10:00 launch. We were told we would have to sign in again, once our show was selected, using our username and password for trans-siberianexpress.com. I entered it. Not recognized.

*sigh*

I had to create a new account, and then was put back into the que to select different seats. Still, we're on the floor about half way back now, so the view of the light show should be better than when we were in the 5th row in Jacksonville. But being that close in Jacksonville was so...energizing.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Pogues. Tonight. Can't wait!

But it seems some recent houseguests gave me some illness. I have a scratchy throat, and while I don't feel like I have a fever, I just feel a little more run down than usual. But it is definitely not keeping me from going.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Have fun, Cag!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

You won't be able to talk tomorrow then!!! (From all the singing along, I mean)

Ash are playing this Tuesday at a venue close to me - I was gutted because by the time I found out about it, tickets were sold out.

But :biggrin: the brother-in-law came up trumps and me+gf are on the guest list. Can't wait.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Man, I envy you your connections, Stone.

...but, having benefited from them myself,
I won't complain about them.
:grinlove:
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Stonemaybe wrote:You won't be able to talk tomorrow then!!! (From all the singing along, I mean)
Well, if there is Guinness and someone to supply smokes...yeah, I won't be able to talk.

But tomorrow is a long day of celebrating the wife's birthday, so I'll need to be able to stand, or at least sit in a theater and watch a movie, then eat.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Return to “Vespers”