What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Finally watched Syriana. I thought it was outstanding. I sat thinking for a long while afterwards. Not the kind of movie I would want to put on every week, that's for sure. Very gripping, but also very depressing. Sorta like Munich.

I could've sworn Jay started a thread for Syriana around here. I recall he mentioned how confusing the story was. I would agree, in that the niggly details (of which there are many) lost me too. But I think I got the gist of the plot.

And the fingernail torture scene...OUCH. Now I'm going to be thinking of that scene every time I clip my nails. Ranks up there with the dental cruelty in Marathon Man, IMO.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Watched The Guardian last night-not bad, the beginning looked corny, but the "training" scenes and the ending were pretty impressive.
Spoiler
and the way Costner's character took out the sailor at the bar was not only "badass" but pretty damm funny: "What did you just do back there?"..."I have no idea..."
fall far and well Pilots!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I watched the original Cape Fear (DVD) last night. Great movie. Outstanding.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Mitchum is God!!! 8O
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

danlo wrote:Mitchum is God!!! 8O
You speak truth.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

My Dad looked pretty damm close to Mitchum in his prime! :D
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

danlo wrote:My Dad looked pretty damm close to Mitchum in his prime! :D
I envy your dad.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I watched Pan's Labyrinth yesterday. I liked it, but found it more violent than I expected. I was also surprised by the turn of the story--it was hardly predictable (with the exception of a few elements that I guessed--literary analysis and all!). Definitely worth watching if it comes your way. :)

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Loremaster wrote:I just watched Das Boot - The Director's Cut again. Without a doubt the greatest movie ever made. An absolute classic.
I gotta give that movie another chance sometime.
Watched Das Boot this weekend, the 4 hour version. It's really good but I wouldn't go so far to say it's the greatest movie ever.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Some people. :roll: ;) :lol:
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just finished watching Oldboy--a great film. I think I still like Lady Vengeance more, but this one is very close. A little more violent, but something of a similar atmosphere to them. Now I just have to get Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, the earliest of the vengeance "trilogy". If it's anywhere near as good as these two, I'll definately look for more of Park Chan-Wook's films in future.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm 3/4ths through Hollywoodland an pretty darned impressed! Even (don't pass out) Affleck does a decent job as George Reeves. Very interesting for old kids like me who started watching the original Superman TV series in '65. You can learn alot about Reeves and those times (and at least 8 years before) from this flick like; contrary to the urban legend he did not commit suicide by thinking he could fly out a window, and yes confirms the urban legend that the original Lois Lane, Phyliss Coates was gay. Great supporting cast; Adrien Brody, Diane Lane and Bob Hoskins.

Sunday morning edit: I think this movie just broke me of the habit of reviewing a film before it is actually over. Last 20 minutes was over the top and much of it unnecessary (the music didn't match either). Tried to be too cute, wrapped itself up too quick-Brody's character being bloated into a Marlowe icon really didn't work. Pity the director let all this good acting talent go to waste. I will say one good thing-the superimposing of Affleck talking to Burt Lancaster in From Here to Eternity was rather nifty. Pity-very good start.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I watched The Day After, last night. Good movie. Damn disturbing,
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Loremaster wrote:I watched The Day After, last night. Good movie. Damn disturbing,
I remember that from when it first aired on ABC, it's a great movie!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I just saw Hellboy, Super Troopers, Crank and Clerks Two for the first time a few days ago. They are all AWSOME!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Just watched Outlaw, with Sean Bean. Average.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I just watched Jurassic Park for the first time in years. I'd forgotten how enjoyable it can be, and particularly how well-written most of the dialogue is.
danlo
Lord

The Good, The Bad (as in nasty) & The Ugly

Post by danlo »

What I've been watching in New York:
Mrs. Henderson Presents Interesting story, Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins are excellent, good WWII period piece-lots of naked and semi naked babes. :twisted:

The Libertine Depp is superb as usual and Malkovitch is underused but good. Unfortunately the movie is too damm depressing and sexually nasty. Interesting idea, great costumes, great recreation of William II's time... :(

Dark Water Despite Jennifer Connelly's incredible bod this film is a disaster: boring, bleak, preditable and the ending is downright stupid. :evil:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I watched War of the Worlds (Spielberg) last night again. 5/5 - the movie is outstanding.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Watching Conqueror of Shambala, the full length movie in the series of Fullmetal Alchemist anime.

I was watching it on my portable DVD player while my client was in surgery Friday morning (nice to get paid for watching a movie, eh?). She was taken to recovery about 1/3 of the way through the movie, and I had to turn it off to go work. I'll give a final report about it when I'm finished, but so far, great. :)

Return to “Flicks”