The Chronicles FILMED!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

saadro
Servant of the Land

Post by saadro »

Thanks matrixman.

I suggested Hugh Jackman for exactly the same reason. IMO, his performance as Wolverine was perfect - exactly what the character would be like as a real person. If he could do that with a comic book character...

Yep, Daniel Day-Lewis would have to be up there in the list, possibly Sean Penn?

Just listened to Duel of the Fates again and because I'm reading Runes atm, while I'm listening I get a chill when imagining the pinnacle of wild magic unleashed...

I strongly reccomend you guys check it out!

disclaimer: no offence to any hardcore Star Wars fans.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

From today's GI:
Darrin Cole: I noticed the comment about russel crowe turning down the role of Thomas Covenant(not sure if it was serious) and Just wondered whether you or the people who might make the movie have considered asking viggo mortenson for the role, when I saw him as aragorn in Lord of the rings My first thought was they should make a thomas covenant movie with viggo as covenant he could be perfectly made up to resemble the character I and I imagine many others visualised as Thomas Covenant.

I'm not posting this information under "News" because, well, it doesn't qualify. But one plus of my current book tour is that I had a chance to meet with the movie people who bought the "Covenant" option. They turned out to be both very serious movie people and very serious "Covenant" fans: people who could easily be doing other things to make money, but who want to make "Covenant" films because they love the books, and because they see a window of opportunity which didn't exist before the success of the LOTR films. We had a rather wide-ranging discussion, during which they said that they feel they need an "A-list" director but not "A-list" actors. In other words, they want to use much the same approach to casting that Peter Jackson used for LOTR: good actors, but not necessarily "bankable" ones (because "stars" are too expensive). Well, thanks to LOTR, Viggo has probably become too expensive. But I can't see him as Covenant anyway: he doesn't seem to have the emotional range--or the emotional extremes--to play Covenant.

(10/28/2004)
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I wonder what A list director they have in mind. And I like the idea of having a 'no stars' cast.
At least in theory. It's funny to talk about cast lists, but we don't really want the Chronicles to be a Hollywood movie - do you?????

Hi Saadro - I think Sean Penn is a very good suggestion for Covenant. He played a similar character (or at least a similarly difficult and controversial character) in "Dead Man Walking" and he was brilliant.

As much as I adore Kevin Spacey, I can't see him as Covenant. Maybe he's not 'brooding' enough? Anyway, he can't play TC because he is already going to play Eremis... 8)
Thunderhead
Servant of the Land

Post by Thunderhead »

I think Christian Bale could be a really good candidate for the role of TC especially after seeing how he transformed himself for his part in The Machinist, he seems to have all of the elements that would be required to play such a complex character, not to mention the look. all that aside I also wonder if it might be best to render the whole thing in CGI, I'm not talking about making it "cartoonish", I mean something groundbreaking even by todays standards, though IMHO the tough part would still be trying to convey a sense of what is going on in the minds of the characters, especially TC and Linden.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thunderhead wrote:I also wonder if it might be best to render the whole thing in CGI, I'm not talking about making it "cartoonish", I mean something groundbreaking even by todays standards, though IMHO the tough part would still be trying to convey a sense of what is going on in the minds of the characters, especially TC and Linden.
Hello and welcome to the Watch, Thunderhead.

I must disagree about rendering the whole movie in CGI. I think that would be a horrible mistake, when you consider that the last attempt at a "serious" and un-cartoonish CGI movie was the lifeless, cliche-driven Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. One of the most excruciating movies I ever sat through. Yes, it was technically brilliant, but also completely soulless. Granted, CGI that is "groundbreaking even by today's standards" would be most welcome in a future Covenant movie--but as a complement to live action, not a replacement for it. I'm not convinced that any kind of CG actor, no matter how advanced, can ever replace a human actor. Using CGI to create believable andscapes and alien creatures is one thing; using it to create a believable human being is something else entirely, in my view. Any close-up shot of a computer-generated human face would instantly reveal the digital fakery at work.
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

I adore Daniel Day-Lewis...I still maintain that Maggie Smith would have to be one of the old female Lords...

CGI...nyeh...I've never liked it much myself...and since the books focus so much on things that are human (reactions, emotions, etc. etc. etc.) I think you would absolutely NEED real humans acting it out.

I was kinda disappointed that Donaldson didn't like the idea of Viggo playing Covenant...he says "hellfire!" so well,and pulls off gaunt pretty well, too (watch "Hidalgo" to see those)...oh well...my view of the man is probably a little biased since I'm SO in love with Aragorn ;)

I think Johnny Depp can pull off ANYTHING...Covenant might be pushing it, but the man is brilliant, so he'd make it work somehow.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Thunderhead
Servant of the Land

Post by Thunderhead »

Matrixman, thanks for the warm welcome and the reply.

the idea of doing a Chronicles movie in CGI was just something that crossed my mind as I was trying to think of a way to give the movie something different, ultimately I think you are right about the soullessness factor, which would be exactly the opposite of what this story would require, so I stand by my choice of actor for the lead role. but I wonder how a movie could best express everything that is needed for an audience to truly understand, not just 'what' was going on, but 'why'. this is definatly a story where the "why" is more important than the "how". good special effects definatly help with the latter, but only great acting could really express the former. too bad movies with a narrative never really seem to work.
francois60
Servant of the Land

Post by francois60 »

My cast list will probably elicit belly laughs, but here's who I want:

Covenant: Jon Bon Jovi
Linden: Kari Wuhrer
Mhoram: Michael Gross
Hile Troy: Michael Ironside

The good thing about this cast list is that you could actually get it without bankrupting the project.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

francois60 wrote:My cast list will probably elicit belly laughs, but here's who I want:

Covenant: Jon Bon Jovi
Linden: Kari Wuhrer
Mhoram: Michael Gross
Hile Troy: Michael Ironside

The good thing about this cast list is that you could actually get it without bankrupting the project.
LMAO!

I guess Kari Wuhrer as Linden would mean that Jerry O'Connell would need to be in there as well.

Michael Gross? I had a hard enough time with him as daddy in Family Ties. He was really ruined for me in Tremors, and I think he is best suited for Lifetime movies.

Ironside is not a bad choice, except I think he's a bit old for Troy.

Bon Jovi as Covenant? :Help:
I guess then the theme song for the film would be "You Give the Land a Bad Name."

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I've always liked Michael Ironside, but I agree that he may not be the best choice for Hile Troy. I think of Troy as a cocky, young braggart, and Ironside seems too smart and wise a man to play anybody's fool.

Bon Jovi? Well, it's been argued that Covenant shouldn't be an "unattractive" man, but I think Bon Jovi is still too handsome. I can't picture him as a lonely, embittered, impotent leper.

Thinking further on this, how about simply switching the roles: Ironside as Covenant, and Bon Jovi as Troy? Ironside has that dangerous edge to him that would suit Covenant, and I can definitely imagine Bon Jovi/Hile Troy having the hots for Elena. "Slippery When Wet" indeed, especially at Glimmermere... :twisted:
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Ironside is 20 years older than Covenant, otherwise I would like to see him try it.

(Not to say that I'm sure he could, just that I would like to see him try. :grinlove: )
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Possibles for Covenant:

Mel Gibson
Liam Neeson
Kevin Bacon
Denis Leary
Dylan McDermott
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
francois60
Servant of the Land

Post by francois60 »

Michael Gross? I had a hard enough time with him as daddy in Family Ties. He was really ruined for me in Tremors, and I think he is best suited for Lifetime movies.

Gross has that kindly, friendly aspect that really fits Mhoram.

When I was thinking of this cast list it was around 1990 though, so everyone's aged a bit. Ironside probably is to old now, you're right.

Mel Gibson would probably be the best Covenant today, but he's to big name at this point. You figure that even if the Chronicles of the Unbeliever had the same kind of studio support as Lord of the Rings they'd shy away from really big names so they don't overshadow the movie itself.

To further comment on the Rock, he doesn't seem jolly enough to be a good Foamfollower. He does have arrogance down pat though, so he could make a wicked cool Fleshharrower.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

Denis Leary as Covenant? Strangely enough, I could see it. I don't think much of him, or his acting abilities, but I think he looks the part.
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

I adore Liam Neeson...and I think he would have the depth to play it....but I dunno if he could do gaunt. He would have to lose a LOT of weight (not that he's fat, he's just built...have you seen Rob Roy? *grin*
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Johnny Depp. Yeah, he is the ultimate ninja of acting.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Sorry for the double post, but I think it would be -totally- hilarious to see the Thomas Covenant Anime. And maybe really great too :)
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Jem,

You have just put in my mind a gawdawful Bakshi Treatment of Covenant a'la LOTR.

To return the "favor", I have only one thing to say/sing:

"Now this is the Tale of Thomas of the Ei-i--ght fingers, Ei-i-ght Fingers..."
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I have long stood by Johnny Depp as TC but Dennis Leary is a good suggestion. I can see it.
The King has one more move.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Dennis Leary could just possibly work. I have always Liam Neesam as more of a Mhoram type though. IMO, he would be perfect as Mhoram.

Duck
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”