Latest SF/Fantasy Acquisitions

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

All the first edition, hardcover versions of the First and Second Chronicles. Nice and broken in, too!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

My copy of Deadhouse Gates finally arrived (yay!). Can't wait to start it (gotta finish another book I'm reading first though).
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

The Judging Eye by R Scott Bakker
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Wait, what? It's out? :!!!:

I'm far too out of touch these days.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Brinn wrote:The Judging Eye by R Scott Bakker
It's out!?! I've got to get my hands on this! How is it so far?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I ordered it from Amazon Canada and had it shipped overnight. $36 and worth every cent.

It's amazing so far. His prose is better and the new characters are quite interesting. There is a very early scene where Saubon (now the Exalt-General and commander of Kelhus's armies) parlays with a northern king with the King's young son in attendance. This scene has been done so many times in many other books but it felt like I was reading something new and fresh and vital. The bastard can just flat-out write!

I'm probably not the best judge as I absolutely love Bakker's work and I'm really not that far into it...but I'm relishing every paragraph, sentence and word.
Last edited by Brinn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Brinn wrote:I ordered it from Amazon Canada and had it shipped overnight. $36 and worth every cent.

It's amazing so far. His prose is better and the new characters are quite interesting. There is a very early scene where Saubon (now the Exalt-General and commander of Kelhus's armies) parlays with a northern king with the King's young son in attendance. This scene has been done so many times in many other books but it felt like I was reading something new and fresh and vital. The bastard can just flat our write!

I'm probably not the best judge as I absolutely love Bakker's work and I really not that far into it...but I'm relishing every paragraph, sentence and word.
Outstanding! I'm going to purchase every single one of these in hardback. Once I find an exceptional writer, I like to support them with my wallet. Hopefully, people will return the favor once I publish my own. :cross:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

A few months back I bought The Black Jewels trilogy (omnibus form) by Anne Bishop. I just started reading it last weekend, and it is amazing. I'm so glad I took a chance on a $4 clearance book! :biggrin:

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Before heading home from work today, I walked over into town and went to Waterstone's, and got myself a copy of The Judging Eye. I'll have to set some time aside to get some reading done, I haven't read a book in months.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

A very, very kind Watcher has lent me his copy of "Return of the Crimson Guard." :biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:A very, very kind Watcher has lent me his copy of "Return of the Crimson Guard." :biggrin:
That particular copy has done a lot of traveling.
*covered grin*
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yeah we know it's probably Xar... :lol:

Just bought Ilium by Dan Simmons-love his style and this book looks highly promising. 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

danlo wrote:Yeah we know it's probably Xar... :lol:

Nope. ;)
...although the originating Watcher who sent it to the generous Watcher that sent it to ali...

As I said, that particular copy has done a lot of traveling. ;)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Picked up 2 Gemmel books on Friday, Ghost King and Dark Moon. Read them both before, but didn't own them.

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well, I thought I had finally completed my Donaldson collection by finding The Man Who Fought Alone in paperback today, unfortunately I must have given someone The Man Who Risked His Partner, or threw it out. I will try to find another copy. Sorry, as much as I love SRD somewhere between pages 10 and 20 of TMWRHP you don't find the best writing he's ever produced. I will still try to find a copy, again, and try to slug through and finish the series so I can actually say I've read everything he ever wrote (except for his essay in Senoir's book..).

Also bought Event Horizon. I'm not familiar with Stephen E. McDonald by I'm interested to see how he attempts to flesh out Eisner's screenplay...
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Today I bought The City & The City, by China Miéville.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Avatar wrote:Picked up 2 Gemmel books on Friday, Ghost King and Dark Moon. Read them both before, but didn't own them.

--A
I think I've read Ghost King but I don't remember it. Dark Moon's not one of Gemmell's best, IMO, but I'm fond of the Tarantio/Dace thing.

As an aside, does anyone else think David Gemmell looked evil?
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

danlo wrote:Just bought Ilium by Dan Simmons-love his style and this book looks highly promising. 8)
*three months later*

How was it?

I've read the whole of his Hyperion series and loved it, but not Illium or Olympos.

Any good? If so, I'll check them out of my local library, which has them both in BAP (Big-Assed-Paperback).

*flees the Shrike*
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

CovenantJr wrote: I think I've read Ghost King but I don't remember it. Dark Moon's not one of Gemmell's best, IMO, but I'm fond of the Tarantio/Dace thing.
Ghost King is the first of his Arthurian Romano-British series, followed IIRC, by Last Sword of Power.

Can't say i'm a huge fan of Darkmoon either, but I didn't have it... :lol:

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

[quote="CovenantJr]
As an aside, does anyone else think David Gemmell looked evil?[/quote]

He looks very scary!

A good friend with an eclectic taste in fantasy (ie he's pointed me to some super books, but a lot of dross as well!) lent me China Meiville's The City and The City (omg can't wait, considering bringing to Glastonbury but worried it might keep me in my tent too long!), Peter Brett's The Painted Man, Mike Carey's The Devil You Know, and Jack Vance's City of The Chasch.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”