The Chronicles FILMED!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

If the rape goes, the movies will be terrible. Lena's rape is one of the most pivotal things in the story.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

If they cut the rape, they'll have no movie. I'm not saying I want to see it, but the audience HAS to know it happened, or there are no Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Simple as that.

Doc Oc-- Alfred Molina. He also played Indiana Jones' sidekick at the very beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark--you remember, the guy who tried to double-cross Indy and escape with the Golden Idol? Also played Diego Rivera in Frida, and was somebody's husband in Enchanted April.

I like Tom Hanks, he seems like a nice guy, Big was the best thing ever, but I'm so sick of "Tom Hanks movies" I could die. Did you see his monstrous destruction of The Ladykillers? AUGH!

I'll buy either Ed Norton or Christian Bale as tc. Mhoram will be played by someone rather older than the guy who plays TC, even though in the books they're pretty much the same age (if I remember aright). I'm guessing someone English; I'd buy Branagh if I had to.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I hadn't thought of Ed Norton. He's definately got the range, and the age is right.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Bana's got far too much meat on his upper body.

Jude Law could actually work out lookswise as Covenant, he's always seemed to me to look haggard and have sunken eyes, and he's got a sleight body size. Can he do a non-accent?

Norton and Christian Bale could also work out well, but, Christian Bale beefed up for his Batman Role, can he lose enough weight to look right?

Awhile back, someone suggested Hugo Weaving, and I think he would do great, although not sure if he might be too old to play 1st book Covenant.

Branagh would be an excellent Morham.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Oh, and what about Jim Cavaziel (I think that's the right spelling) who played Jesus in Passion of the Christ could have the right look as well. I've never seen him in anything though, could his acting skills allow him to pull off the persona?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Jim Cavaziel was fantastic in Frequency. I dunno, maybe, but I'd still put him behind Downey and Norton.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

I would think that if the usual Hollywood trend of marketing Fantasy as "family fare" continues, they would have to leave out the rape. And lets face it, the whole project will be driven by potential profit.
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Kymbierlee
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kymbierlee »

Jude Law might work. I agree with what I saw someone post on another board- the person who looks the most like I have always pictured Thomas Covenant is SRD himself....... Now, can he act? Hmmm.............

I can't believe this is happeneing. I have been waiting for this since I was 12 years old. I never thought it would even be attempted. I hope it works. So much of what takes place is TC's internal struggle. If they don't do it just right, the movie will make him out to be nothing but a rude nasty rapist. I really hope they can pull this off. :cross: I love the name Revelstone Entertainment by the way.........gave me chills when I read it. :letsparty:
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Yeah, and they have a past too!
Was it really named after the books? That'd be purty funny and give me a lot more faith in the project.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Jude Law is a good idea. I never thought of him. But Daniel Day-Lewis remains my favorite pick.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

A couple of good actors that could be used in the movie.

Orlando Bloom - maybe as Thomas Covenant...remember TC is a fairly young person
Nick Cage - Trell
Sandra Bullock -Aterian(sp?)
Mat McConaughey - One of the Lords of Revelstone
Ben Affleck - again one of the Lords of Revelstone
Kris Christopherson - maybe as one of the unfettered
Keira Knightley - One of the Ramen
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Ben Affleck as a lord of revelstone?!
Dear lord, save me from such a fate.

I have a better idea. Thomas Covenant as Ben Affleck, and Saltheart Foamfollower as Matt Damon.

And let's get Kevin Smith to direct it.

hehehe...
J/c, no offense SoulBiter
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
King Elessar 8
Woodhelvennin

Post by King Elessar 8 »

Horrible idea, making a movie out of the Chronicles. It will never work - Im going to be surprised if the film ever ends up seeing the light of day.

Anyway, my picks for casting are Billy Bob Thornton as Covenant, and Viggo Mortenson as Mhoram. My wife agrees with the first, but not the second. The rest of the cast should be selected via the "LOTR" method - dont stock it with reams of famous faces, pick unknowns (or relative unknowns) who seem right for the parts.

And the rape has to stay in, or they might as well shelve the whole project right now.

Post by Guest »

Here's the dialog I see in the PG-13 version:

Lena: Welcome to the Land...we have been waiting for you Berek for the 18 years I have been alive!
TC: I'm not Berek! <to himself> Hellfire, since I'm not a leper anymore, I'm going to kiss her!
<They kiss>
Lena: You shouldn't have kissed me, I am in love with someone else.
TC: I feel so bad...I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me later...
<foreshadowing music>

Later...

Atarian: You kissed my daughter...in the Land, woman can get pregnant from kissing. I am mad at you, now off to see giants, gnomes (Wayhnm renamed for draw), elfs (Woodhelvin people renamed), Orcs (Ur-viles), Fairies (wraiths). and High Wizard Mhorham.
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

if this doesnt become the epic it so deserves to be, im gonna be more pissed off than when i saw LOTR's changes

and i agreed with the majority of the changes in the movies...otherwise each movie would have to be like 6 hours long
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Xar
Lord

Re: FILMED FOR REAL???

Post by Xar »

tcovfan wrote:From COMING SOON: (clearly there is a mistake in the last sentence!!)

www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7654

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Coming

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

December 17, 2004

Revelstone Entertainment and the Mark Gordon Co. are teaming up to produce a feature film version of Stephen Donaldson's epic fantasy The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Revelstone has optioned the rights to the first six books in the series, which Band of Brothers writer John Orloff will adapt.

The books revolve around a shunned author (Covenant) who is magically transported to the Land, a mystical world where he discovers he is the incarnation of a great hero. Covenant thinks it's all a dream. But he's the bearer of a magical talisman, and is enlisted to help save the Land from Saturn and his representatives.
The same source (The Hollywood Reporter) was also mentioned in this link:

www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_i ... j_id=43187

Where, apparently, they didn't talk about "mighty lord Saturn" :P
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I have hopes, but honestly this gives me a bad feeling.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
francois60
Servant of the Land

Post by francois60 »

Or they could just throw out the books entirely and make Covenant the Rock, who throws wild magic everywhere and kicks everyone's butt. He also scores with Lena, Atiaran,and several Ramen including a Manethrall. The Ranyhyn all choose him because he's the biggest stud ever and he'd lay the smack down on them if they didn't recognize his awesomeness. The finale would feature Covenant vs. Drool, except Drool knows Kung Fu and manages to make Covenant lose his ring. So Covenant kicks Drool's butt, gets the ring just in time as Lord Foul's about to strike him, and kills Lord Foul.

And then you don't need any more movies.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

But considering the name of the company is Revelstone Pictures this suggests fans of the books are making the movie; therefore, they may be true to the books.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

francois60 wrote:Or they could just throw out the books entirely and make Covenant the Rock, who throws wild magic everywhere and kicks everyone's butt. He also scores with Lena, Atiaran,and several Ramen including a Manethrall. The Ranyhyn all choose him because he's the biggest stud ever and he'd lay the smack down on them if they didn't recognize his awesomeness. The finale would feature Covenant vs. Drool, except Drool knows Kung Fu and manages to make Covenant lose his ring. So Covenant kicks Drool's butt, gets the ring just in time as Lord Foul's about to strike him, and kills Lord Foul.

And then you don't need any more movies.
:lol:

The horrible thing is, I wouldn't be that surprised...

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”