How do you feel today?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Don't you mean Italian?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Italian works.
But the two I know are both Roman as well.
And as far as I am aware, proud of it.
Even if one is currently employed somewhere else.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

My great-aunt injured her knee yesterday, and we were supposed to go out together tomorrow. :(
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I'd a little too much wine yesterday for a weekday, so getting up this morning was less easy than it should be.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Menolly wrote:Italian works.
But the two I know are both Roman as well.
And as far as I am aware, proud of it.
Even if one is currently employed somewhere else.
That is the first time I have heard someone use that term.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

My own understanding about Italian history is that they think of themselves by region, as the country of Italy, if I am not mistaken, has been unified for a shorter time than the US has been. Hence my use of Roman instead of Italian. I know Sicilians in real life who call themselves Sicilian, not Italian usually. I assume it would be the same with Venetians, Firenzi, Romans, etc. But I may be jumping to conclusions.

In any case, I am sure most know who all I mean.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Menolly wrote:My own understanding about Italian history is that they think of themselves by region, as the country of Italy, if I am not mistaken, has been unified for a shorter time than the US has been. Hence my use of Roman instead of Italian. I know Sicilians in real life who call themselves Sicilian, not Italian usually. I assume it would be the same with Venetians, Firenzi, Romans, etc. But I may be jumping to conclusions.

I think they go by regions and not cities, hence Sicilian and not Messinian. Also northerners (rich snobs) and southerners
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Menolly wrote:My own understanding about Italian history is that they think of themselves by region, as the country of Italy, if I am not mistaken, has been unified for a shorter time than the US has been. Hence my use of Roman instead of Italian. I know Sicilians in real life who call themselves Sicilian, not Italian usually. I assume it would be the same with Venetians, Firenzi, Romans, etc. But I may be jumping to conclusions.

But Rome is a city. In Australia, people in my state call themselves Queenslanders - Seareach would call herself a Victorian - not a 'Brisbaner' if they come from Brisbane. In that regard, the term 'Roman' would not work.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I think Roman is an exception though, as they have their own slang, accent, history...

But again, I may be wrong.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Menolly wrote:I think Roman is an exception though, as they have their own slang, accent, history...

But again, I may be wrong.
I'm curious; have you heard anyone using it? I did a search an hour ago just to check, because it is interesting, and I found nothing apart from Roman Citizens being members of the Roman empire.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*nodding*

But only in conversation, as in "I'm Roman," when asked to say where one is from. Never in written form.

Well...
unless messenger conversations are considered written form...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

We group people by cities here in the UK. In addition to people referring to themselves as Londoners or Nottinghamians, we have actual words for some of them: a Geordie is from Newcastle; a Mancunian is from Manchester; a Scouser is from Liverpool; a Brummie is from Birmingham. All of these are cities.

I can imagine 'Roman' might be even more likely to be employed, since Rome itself has such a strong history. Nonetheless, technically correct or not, describing anyone living now as 'Roman' sounds odd to me, because of the immediate connection to the empire.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

People from Indiana call themselves Hoosiers. No one knows why.

Moving on (quickly! Don't throw that rotten egg at me!):

I am happy it's finally spring (as I told someone earlier today, "Our long national nightmare is over" :lol: ), but bummed because it looks like our Weight Watchers group here at work is going to fold. We don't have enough people to continue -- or people are interested but don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money, or etc. I could join online and/or go to a site near to my house. But this is so convenient. Bah. We're going to give it a couple of weeks and see if things look up, but I'm honestly not hopeful.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I'm cleaning like a mad pregnant woman today in preparation for friends crashing at our place for the weekend. The snow is almost completely melted and I can walk outside again!

Also, I'm showing off my awesome sig.

STROBE LIGHT
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'm suffering from hayfever, inflamed rib/cartilage something, have completely lost my voice (good job it's not needed on KW :D ) but still, life's good and i feel fine where it matters, in my mind.

On the subject of regions n stuff - I'll agree with Cov Jr about Britain, but N Ireland and Republic of Ireland are different. There it's the county that matters, as demonstrated by the 'Sam Maguire', Gaelic football's all-ireland competition, where each county has a team. The only other differentiation would be for Dubliners - to them, everyone else in Ireland is a 'culchie', and to the culchies, a Dubliner is invariably a 'knacker' (both terms of abuse).
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Someone tell me I'm not the only one completely baffled by this conversation (I'm Ouja Kuro Seken):

Ouja kuro seken. Hi
СђєЯяў. Brb
СђєЯяў. mother being a cow
Ouja kuro seken. K
(a few minutes later)СђєЯяў. So?
Ouja kuro seken. So.....?
(after a few minutes of silence)Ouja kuro seken. What do you mean "so"? :?
СђєЯяў. ...
Ouja kuro seken. All I said was hi. :?
СђєЯяў. I dislike it when someone just says hi... its cold and annoying
Ouja kuro seken. Right...
Ouja kuro seken. Forget it then
СђєЯяў. If you wish
Ouja kuro seken. Well if I've offended you just by greeting you, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the day
СђєЯяў. I told you how I feel about someone just saying hi.. in all honesty I find it rude.
Ouja kuro seken. Well how the hell am I supposed to greet you then?! "The finest of evenings, my lady"?
Ouja kuro seken. You say hi to me all the time
СђєЯяў. bye bye
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

She's clearly insane. Or a teenager.......
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

With a name like Cherry you were probably worthless to her if you didn't insist on a phone sex chat...
Last edited by danlo on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

OMG! Cov! Yeah, I'm with Dan on this one: insane or a teenager (I'd be guessing the latter). Do you know this ning-nong in real life?

as for this:
Loremaster wrote:In Australia, people in my state call themselves Queenslanders - Seareach would call herself a Victorian - not a 'Brisbaner' if they come from Brisbane.
Can I call myself an Inverlochian? Coz that sounds kinda cool! :D And Tasmanians call themselves Tasmaniacs! ...or is that what we Victorians call them?

It's early. I'm tired. I'm babysitting a friends daughter all day today (oh...they're here now....)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Seareach wrote:OMG! Cov! Yeah, I'm with Dan on this one: insane or a teenager (I'd be guessing the latter). Do you know this ning-nong in real life?
Yeah... The other day she introduced me as one of her best friends.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”