Harry Potter 7 release date July 21

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Does it in fact say "Prior to the fall of Lord Voldemort"?

Regulus was a Death Eater and turned and was killed for it. RAB (Who most likely is Regulus Black) betrayed Voldemort by stealing one of his Horcruxes, so, it's not unprecedented for a Death Eater to come to his senses and turn.

I still think that Snape simply wasn't as evil as he thought he was. Sure, he a creep, but, he's not evil enough to just arbitrarily kill Muggles and the good guys. I think that's why Snape turned, was because he didn't have the stomach for what Voldemort was turning him into, which is a darned good reason, for risking his life with the Unbreakable Vow for Draco, to prevent Draco from being forced into true evilness, rather than simply being a creep.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Hrrmm....I'll look it up over the weekend but I kinda lean to what Sin says.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

sindatur wrote:Does it in fact say "Prior to the fall of Lord Voldemort"?

Regulus was a Death Eater and turned and was killed for it. RAB (Who most likely is Regulus Black) betrayed Voldemort by stealing one of his Horcruxes, so, it's not unprecedented for a Death Eater to come to his senses and turn.

I still think that Snape simply wasn't as evil as he thought he was. Sure, he a creep, but, he's not evil enough to just arbitrarily kill Muggles and the good guys. I think that's why Snape turned, was because he didn't have the stomach for what Voldemort was turning him into, which is a darned good reason, for risking his life with the Unbreakable Vow for Draco, to prevent Draco from being forced into true evilness, rather than simply being a creep.
GOF pp 590-591

"I have evidence already on this matter," he said calmly. "Severus Snape was indeed a Death Eater. However, he rejoined our side before Lord Voldemort's downfall and turned spy for us, at great personal risk. He is now no more a Death Eater than I am."

...I think you make a good point about RAB and Snape. Earlier in this thread i said that i think Snape was into the dark arts because they mirrored his heart, he had a past that was dark and full of anger and hate, but, love for someone or something could bring him out of that hate. I think Regulus' problem was that he was a coward, like most slytherin's, only when his disgust at what the DE's did brought him to his senses, it was too late. Snape is a much more powerful wizard than Regulus was though and he has courage...I do not believe fear of becoming too evil would be enough to turn him from the road LV had him on, it would take something more "physical" to bring him around IMO.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, I can see how something powerful would probably need to happen to bring Snape back to the good side but I am still not buying it was because he fell in love with another man's wife.

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Jenn Cameraman-Galad wrote:Well, I can see how something powerful would probably need to happen to bring Snape back to the good side but I am still not buying it was because he fell in love with another man's wife.
Who said he fell for her after the marriage? He could have been carrying a Snapey torch for her for a while! Luminos indeed!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Lily and James were dating by sixth or seventh year. We are shown a memory from 5th year (OWL year). So he fell for her sometime between that incident and the following year?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Jenn, although he called her a mudblood in that memory (IMO ironic, since we later discover his own background), could it not have been as a protective response so his true feelings for her even then were not revealed? They were only 14 years old at that point, and I am sure we all have experiences at hiding our feelings for another around that age.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:Jenn, although he called her a mudblood in that memory (IMO ironic, since we later discover his own background), could it not have been as a protective response so his true feelings for her even then were not revealed? They were only 14 years old at that point, and I am sure we all have experiences at hiding our feelings for another around that age.
15 (O.W.L.s are taken in 5th year), but, point taken. You never know how a 15 year old may display his affection
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Plus, he had just been humiliated in front of his peers. To reveal his true feelings for a mudblood at that point was probably unthinkable to him. He probably would have snapped at anyone who helped him...
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

Menolly wrote:Plus, he had just been humiliated in front of his peers. To reveal his true feelings for a mudblood at that point was probably unthinkable to him. He probably would have snapped at anyone who helped him...
That's pretty much the way I see it. Considering how that whole event played out, I wouldn't be suprised if that was some kind of decoy that Jo put in there to make us think that Snape hated Lily.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Jenn...can we ALL be wrong? He's some Koolaid...drink deeply, my dear!

ImageImage
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Hey, you haven't sold the theory to Sin either! And yes, love all you guys on the Snape/Lily bandwagon but you could be wrong.....

Sin, whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT take any beverages from Guns....

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Oh...sin!!!! C'mere for a refreshing partif?!

ImageImage
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

<Sindatur takes the tall cool glass of Kool Aid offered by Guns, and take a long swig off it> "Hey, why does this taste wrong"?

<Sindatur notices Jenn's warning in little itty letters, and hands the glass back to Guns> Thanks, but, no Thanks
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

SIN!!! Get to a hospital quick! It's laced with GHB (Gunslinger's Hypnotizing Booze) and if you dont' get it out of your system you will wake up and realize that you believe anything he says about the HP books!

Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Reserved my copy today.

Yay! If I get accosted on 22-3 July by a 10 yr old Potter fan I will be able to hold my own. :twisted:

I rock so hard. :P

I agree with Guns. I think that Snape has to have a motive both for hating Harry and betraying (as I believe he has) Voldemort, and the anguish of seeing the love of his life giving her life to protect a little toe-rag like the Potter boy satisfies both criteria.

If Guns is right, then Snape would have spent more than a decade conditioning himself to hate Harry before he even turned up at Hogwarts.

It thus does Snape credit that even as he was retreating in disgrace from Hogwarts with his supposed (but in reality despised) Death Eater comrades, he was still giving Harry tips on what he would need to do to defeat The Big V.
Severus Snape wrote: Blocked again, and again, and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!

That's one f*****g conflicted individual right there.
Last edited by Trapper on Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Trapper wrote:Reserved my copy today.

Yay! If I get accosted on 22-3 July by a 10 yr old Potter fan I will be able to hold my own. :twisted:

I rock so hard. :P

I agree with Guns. I think that Snape has to have a motive both for hating Harry and betraying (as I believe he has) Voldemort, and the anguish of seeing the love of his life giving her life to protect a little toe-rag like the Potter boy satisfies both criteria.

If Guns is right, then Snape would have spent more than a decade conditioning himself to hate Harry before he even turned up at Hogwarts.

It thus does Snape credit that even as he was retreating in disgrace from Hogwarts with his supposed (but in reality despised) Death Eater comrades, he was still giving Harry tips on what he would need to do to defeat The Big V.

Thee art wise Trap, wise indeed.

ImageImage
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

agreed...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Trapper wrote:If Guns is right, then Snape would have spent more than a decade conditioning himself to hate Harry before he even turned up at Hogwarts.

Well it's not hard to see HOW Snapes could've ended up hating Harry a long time before he arrived at Hogwarts... I mean hearing "...the boy who lived!" "...poor little Harry..." "...he's going to be a great wizard someday...just like his father..." and about 100 other assorted comments and praises from the mouths of wizards and witches just about everywhere Snapes went... frankly I'd be sick hearing about Harry day in and day out with the conflicted feelings Snapes had. (also see my avatar... hee hee bother snapes! :biggrin: )

"Clearly, fame... isn't everything!"
Ahh Severus... sometimes... it is.

The final pages should be remarkable.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

I should probably be posting this in the "Who will Harry end up with?" thread, but this one seems more active.

I was reading about Potter fandom the other day, and was amused to read that:

1/ A great deal of the fanfiction deals with romantic musings on Hermione and Draco getting together. Women/girls like bad boys, I guess.

2/ Many fans are outraged with that dreadful Rowling woman for not seeing all the hints in the books that Harry and Hermione would end up together. Apparently she's ruined the "greatest love story ever told". How dare she, as the mere author, do that. :lol:

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”