Westerns

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:You know, it's funny, I never really got into the Wayne movies.
Me neither. As I've said before, IMHO "The Searchers" is completely overrated.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Never been into westerns but! One upon a time I read a western book and it was great and I want to know if it's ever been made into a film.

Can't remember the book's name though :oops:

Author might've been Cormac something or something McCormac, and there might have been Horses in the title. Dancing horses or still horses or something? Or maybe something about the sky.

That vague enough?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Stonemaybe wrote:Never been into westerns but! One upon a time I read a western book and it was great and I want to know if it's ever been made into a film.

Can't remember the book's name though :oops:

Author might've been Cormac something or something McCormac, and there might have been Horses in the title. Dancing horses or still horses or something? Or maybe something about the sky.

That vague enough?
All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy?
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Cail wrote:You know, it's funny, I never really got into the Wayne movies.
Me neither. As I've said before, IMHO "The Searchers" is completely overrated.
Yeah, I dunno what it is, but I just can't really get excited about his films. The only one I really enjoyed was The Shootist.

Intentionally or not Stonemaybe, that's a really funny post.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

EDGE the Star! wrote:
All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy?
That's the one! Is it truly good or are westerns in general good and I read a normal run-of-the-mill good one?

Cail wrote:
Intentionally or not Stonemaybe, that's a really funny post.
Didn't start off intentional anyway! By the time I realised I hadn't a clue what I was asking about, the message was writ and see, it doesn't matter if you haven't got a clue - someone on here'll always know the answer :biggrin: !

Edit:so is it a film?

Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

It has indeed been filmed:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0149624/

As to whether it's good or not: dunno, never heard of it. I just found it by Googling. :)
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Rawedge Rim, I totally respect that John Wayne's films mean that much to you.

But I'm afraid Wayne was one of my least favorite actors. This may sound harsh, but I'd say John Wayne was the one most responsible for turning me off the Western in the first place.

Later on, it was Clint Eastwood's westerns (particularly Unforgiven) that truly made me appreciate the genre. I guess for many, John Wayne remains the quintessential Western movie icon. But for me, it's Eastwood.

Last night, I watched Unforgiven again. Hadn't put it on in a while, but the movie has lost none of its power over me. Unforgiven can be interpreted in so many ways, beyond the "simple" surface story it tells, and that is a big reason why I keep coming back to it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good post, MM, and I certainly agree about Eastwood vs. Wayne.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:Good post, MM, and I certainly agree about Eastwood vs. Wayne.
Thirded. Eastwood's westerns define the genre for me.

Of course, then there's The Wild Bunch....
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Usivius wrote:C'mon people... has no one seen "My Name Is Nobody"..?
Or is it that no one has anything good to say about it?...
;) :lol:

It is one of my favourites to watch. I recognize it is not a "great movie", but it is fun to watch and Fonda's character is so honestly portrayed.
and I think the sequal was "My name is still Trinity" or something to that affect.
I think you might be getting mixed up with 'My Name Is Trinity', which had a sequel 'Trinity Is Still My Name'. Also Terence Hill flicks, but with Bud Spencer rather than Fonda. I loved them as a kid.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Trinity films are fantastic!

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I dunno....I mean she looked good, but Reloaded and Revolutions really sucked.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Stone! I've listed All the Pretty Horses in my intro list. I've read the book too...the movie can't capture all the detail and raw emotion of the book, but for a western film it's not bad at all...if the movie was about 20 mins to a half hour longer I think it could have done it true justice.
fall far and well Pilots!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I will have to try and find the film. All I remember about the book was that it was pretty gruesome, but that I really enjoyed it. ( I seem to remember far too much detail in a scalping scene?)

Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Might be an age thing

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Matrixman wrote:Rawedge Rim, I totally respect that John Wayne's films mean that much to you.

But I'm afraid Wayne was one of my least favorite actors. This may sound harsh, but I'd say John Wayne was the one most responsible for turning me off the Western in the first place.

Later on, it was Clint Eastwood's westerns (particularly Unforgiven) that truly made me appreciate the genre. I guess for many, John Wayne remains the quintessential Western movie icon. But for me, it's Eastwood.

Last night, I watched Unforgiven again. Hadn't put it on in a while, but the movie has lost none of its power over me. Unforgiven can be interpreted in so many ways, beyond the "simple" surface story it tells, and that is a big reason why I keep coming back to it.

I'm not a fan of Waynes early westerns (Stagecoach and before), but once you reach "Angel and the Bad Man, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and beyond, I become a real John Wayne fan. If you were looking for serious, thought provoking westerns, then certainly the average Wayne western isn't for you, though "the Shootist, the Cowboys, True Grit, The Man who shot Liberty Valance, and the Searchers" came close.

As for Eastwood, I like his westerns (you could almost include the Magnificent Seven, since it was pretty much the first Spagetti Western). I don't believe that Eastwood's westerns overshadow Wayne's so much, since they were produced in a different time, for a different audience, just as Roy Rogers, and Hopalong Cassidy was made for people even older than myself.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Edge wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote:
Usivius wrote:C'mon people... has no one seen "My Name Is Nobody"..?
Or is it that no one has anything good to say about it?...
;) :lol:

It is one of my favourites to watch. I recognize it is not a "great movie", but it is fun to watch and Fonda's character is so honestly portrayed.
and I think the sequal was "My name is still Trinity" or something to that affect.
I think you might be getting mixed up with 'My Name Is Trinity', which had a sequel 'Trinity Is Still My Name'. Also Terence Hill flicks, but with Bud Spencer rather than Fonda. I loved them as a kid.
Nope, not confused.
"My Name Is Nobody" or the Italian title, "Mio Nome e Nessuno, Il".
(and I have heard that in the US it also goes by the title "Lonesome Gun".)
Directed by Tonino Valerii
Terrence Hill, Henry Fonda, and a cast of many Italians.

Here is a blurb on Imdb from a reviewer:
Great movie. From an idea of Sergio Leone, the guy from the good, bad and ugly trilogy. Terence hill is awesome. Fonda is himself. truly a great movie, in the best of the A-class spaghetti western tradition. Recommend for lovers of bud Spencer and Terence hill, but even more for lovers of Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone. the soundtrack is also fantastic. I found brilliant the way the director combined the lightheartedness of Hill and the stare-down gunfight angle of traditional Eastwood westerns. Also look for they called him trinity and sequel, also great movie, and those include bud Spencer. The movie is actually filmed in New Mexico, Acoma and surroundings, so the scenery is also fantastic. The original language is English, even though most of the cast is Italian, and both the Italian and English version are great. However, in the best spaghetti tradition I believe the Italian might capture some fine details better than the original.
;)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Usivius wrote:
Edge wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote: and I think the sequal was "My name is still Trinity" or something to that affect.
Nope, not confused.
"My Name Is Nobody" or the Italian title, "Mio Nome e Nessuno, Il".
(and I have heard that in the US it also goes by the title "Lonesome Gun".)
Directed by Tonino Valerii
Terrence Hill, Henry Fonda, and a cast of many Italians.

Here is a blurb on Imdb from a reviewer:
Great movie. From an idea of Sergio Leone, the guy from the good, bad and ugly trilogy. Terence hill is awesome. Fonda is himself. truly a great movie, in the best of the A-class spaghetti western tradition. Recommend for lovers of bud Spencer and Terence hill, but even more for lovers of Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone. the soundtrack is also fantastic. I found brilliant the way the director combined the lightheartedness of Hill and the stare-down gunfight angle of traditional Eastwood westerns. Also look for they called him trinity and sequel, also great movie, and those include bud Spencer. The movie is actually filmed in New Mexico, Acoma and surroundings, so the scenery is also fantastic. The original language is English, even though most of the cast is Italian, and both the Italian and English version are great. However, in the best spaghetti tradition I believe the Italian might capture some fine details better than the original.
;)
Sorry, didn't express myslf clearly. What I was saying was that I thought you were confused about the sequel - 'Trinity Is Still My Name' was a sequel to 'My Name Is Trinity', not 'My Name Is Nobody'.

:wink:
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

ah.

:oops:

ok, nevermind...

:)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Finally watched "A Fistful of Dollars." Frankly, I don't see what's supposed to be so great about it.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I prefer For a Few Dollars More...
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “Flicks”