The Runes, the Staff, and Wildwood's Question

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I bet a Forestal would have that sort of power, though he probably wouldn't be aware of it as such. I mean, CW enabled Linden to wield two supposedly opposing powers, so why not?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Maybe it's just me, but I always pictured Forestals as nothing more than bad-assed Loraxes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

Dude, The Lorax RULES!!!!! And I think the Oncler was a raver! Ibet a Barbaloot could kick the ass of a Skurj anyday....and don't get me started on the untapped powers of a Sowamee Swan...and Gilden got nothing on a Truffala Tree.

(Guess who has a 3-year-old at home)
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

No, i dont think the forestals coud heal the broken laws by themselves. Donaldson states several times that earthpower and law could not heal itself after the events in the first chronicles. It took white gold creating a new staff and someone from outside to wield it. But maybe the runes are a sort of guide or aid that Linden is supposed to use, combining it with her own power, to mend the broken the laws.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

No, I think Anele is the potential new forestal. Because of what he can do seeing into stone. Because how he never felt like he could be a Lord like his parents, but needed to follow his own path. Because of the hints of power that he has. And, most of all, because he was resurrected by Caer Caveral, who knew he was the last of his kind but who, like Wildwood, lamented the Land ever being without a guardian.

The Laws will not be restored. Donaldson himself has said that he doesn't believe in stories where things are restored to the way that they were. Things may be healed imperfectly, or replaced, but never undone.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I'm not sure if Anele will be a Forestal... With his story and background I am sure he's being set up to do something Astonishing.. Frankly walking around singing to trees doesn't really cut it...

And Sunder & Hollian weren't Lords..

Remember how Troy had to be an apprentice Forestal for a time? It seems to me that if anyone IS going to become a Forestal they are going to have to go through some 'apprenticeship'.. How they're going to do that without affecting Time will be interesting, coz not even Anele has that kind of knowledge...
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

We're told that Wildwood died prior to the Sunbane appearing -- what if he isn't really dead, but was snatched out of time?

Or what if he isn't really dead, but is laying in wait? Didn't part of the One Forest survive through the Sunbane?
B&
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Emotional Leper wrote:We're told that Wildwood died prior to the Sunbane appearing -- what if he isn't really dead, but was snatched out of time?

Or what if he isn't really dead, but is laying in wait? Didn't part of the One Forest survive through the Sunbane?
Only Giant Woods, which had no Forestal but was in the Lower Land and wasn't touched by the Sunbane.

We're told in Covenant's Soothtell that Wildwood died - if he didn't as you suggest, that would be a major retcon.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Emotional Leper wrote:We're told that Wildwood died prior to the Sunbane appearing -- what if he isn't really dead, but was snatched out of time?

Only Giant Woods, which had no Forestal but was in the Lower Land and wasn't touched by the Sunbane.

We're told in Covenant's Soothtell that Wildwood died - if he didn't as you suggest, that would be a major retcon.
Was it specifically died, or that, seeing the progress the New Lords had made on recreating the forests, decided that his work was over and 'stepped aside?'
B&
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]The Wounded Land[/u] was wrote:Caerroil Wildwood, the Forestal of Garroting Deep, had believed his labor ended at last, and had passed away
Here's what get's me ... how does his passing away between TPTP and TWL, apparently contented, jive with the boon he asked of Linden? Did ge get his answer? And if so, what does that mean to Linden?
Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

Thats a good point! The Forestal that met Linden would know that his forest is not going to be safe in the future, and therefore would not believe his labour ended! Maybe Donaldson is indeed planning to transfer him to the lands present?
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Perhaps "passed away", though usually used as a euphamism for dying, could be taken literally in this case...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Wait - Death and dying aren't really insurmountable obstacles nowadays aren't they? Isn't it possible Linden could resurrect the old Forestals?
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

ninjaboy wrote:I'm not sure if Anele will be a Forestal... With his story and background I am sure he's being set up to do something Astonishing.. Frankly walking around singing to trees doesn't really cut it...
Wow, this really got me thinking . . . what the world needs is something like a "forestal" for rock, rather than trees. There's never been one before, to my knowledge. In fact, there's a distinct asymmetry here. You've got gravelingas and lillianrill for stone and trees. And you've got a "shepherd" of trees in the form of forestals. But no such being for rock, to complete the symmetry. And, rock is Anele's "only friend." He certainly has a deep connection to them. So perhaps a "forestal" for rock, an "earthal" (yes I know, horrible name) would have the power to preserve earth like a forestal has the power to preserve forests.

In this light, his "moonstone" eyes are suspiciously like CW's.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

I agree that Anele is destined to commune with the Rock of the Earth. I don't see him having any real connection to trees at this point. I still think he will read the "One Rock" deep in the bowels of Mount Thunder for some sort of astonishing revelation, or to commune with the Worm of the World's End. And I don't think it is a coincidence that the Skurj consume rock.

Hmmm..just a thought...If Kastenessen is some sort of Super Skurj, then is it possible the Foul may set him on the path of "consuming" the "One Stone" if it in fact exists (if we take the symmetry argument one step further.)

And if the Worm is roused by the One Tree, what would be roused by the "One Rock" and would it have an ak-Haru equivalent?
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Malik, I think Wayfriend will be pleased to read your post. He suggested something like this too... IIRC his term was "rockestal" ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"Stonestal".

I like it when others have the same idea independently. Makes a better case for it.

But I think being a Stonestal would only be a start for Anele. I think he'll end up being an Earthestal.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Relayer wrote:Malik, I think Wayfriend will be pleased to read your post. He suggested something like this too... IIRC his term was "rockestal" ;-)
That's cool. Though I have the distinct impression of having made it up myself, it's entirely possible that I read Wayfriend's post and it got lodged in my subconscious. Which thread was that? If it's one I've posted in, then I'm sure I read his post.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Stonestal, that's right. I think it was during the Runes dissections... ?

I must've been thinking of Electric Light Orchestra's "Rockestra" ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Relayer wrote:Stonestal, that's right. I think it was during the Runes dissections... ?
Runes Pt 1 Chapter 9. Scion of Stone

Malik, you didn't post in it ...

Return to “Fatal Revenant”