My first concert was...

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

My first concert was Kansas in Austin. I was 4. My first name is Dustin, so I thought, and my family enjoyed letting me believe, that the song was actually "Dustin the Wind." It's still an occasional nickname I hear back home 26 years later. :mrgreen:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh Syl...what a precious memory!!
I love it.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Lots of cool first concerts here. I'm jealous of quite a few.

My first was the Monsters of Rock, with Van Hagar, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpians, and Kingdom Come. 1988 or 1989.

Actually . . . I can't remember if this one was first or if it was the Cinderella/Winger/Bullet Boys show. Oh well, I'm going to say it was the Monsters of Rock tour, because that's one I can almost be proud of. :)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

I think it was Skunk Anansie at their home venue, followed closely by Live that same week. Both supported by Muse to my horror!

It has been a non stop 'want' for live music ever since! :)
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
Tull
Stonedownor

Post by Tull »

Y'know, it's threads like this that make me wish I had been born a good 30 years earlier than I was, so that I didn't miss out on some of the best music that's ever graced human ears.

My first concert was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers... I must've been 6 or 7, max. I don't really remember much, other than having to give up shotgun in my sister's car 'cause it was her boyfriend's birthday.
perpetualchange
Woodhelvennin
Location: Close enough to friggin' drive to Elohimfest woo-hoo!

Post by perpetualchange »

Mine was Yes during the "Union" tour I was only 11 or 12,but at about the same time I saw Spinal Tap do their "Break like the Wind" tour which I loved. :P
"Speak to me of summer,
long winters longer
than time can remember"

"I still remember the talks by the water
the proud sons and daughters
that knew the knowledge of the land
spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways"
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

KISS
1974 Hotter than hell tour (I think)
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I was 14... I had cheap seats, but good herb, (which was cheap back then as well!) and was blown away by the Hughness of it all!
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Moody Blues at the Kentucky State Fair when I was about 9. (I was a pretty good show)
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Peter, Paul & Mary in '89. Yes, I was raised on folk music. :P

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

My first was around 74/75 when my older cousin took me to a Leon Russell concert at old Atlanta Fulton County stadium. I was about 15/16, can't remember exactly. Leon was a great entertainer. Added some humor. A great show.

First concert I went to on a date was 1976, Aerosmith, I believe at the Omni in Atlanta. Foggy memory. Another great show. I was in about the 15th row and remember the stage explosions almost deafened me.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sorus wrote:Peter, Paul & Mary in '89. Yes, I was raised on folk music. :P
Now that's funny. My parents raised me on a steady diet of PP&M, John Denver, The New Seekers, and other folksy stuff.

I would love to have a picture of my mother's face the first time she heard me cranking up Black Sabbath Vol.4.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

My first concert was Jethro Tull and I was seven years old (1978). I think it was at Music Mountain in New Jersey. Or something like that. Anyway, my older brother had to babysit me that night, and he wasn't about to be thwarted from his plans, so he took me along.

I learned a lot.

I also went to see Ted Nugent when I was eight. Same circumstances.

What cracks me up is that I wanted to see Billy Idol in 1983 with my friends, and my brother begged my parents not to let me go, because Billy was too "punk", and I shouldn't be exposed to that kind of music.

I still can't figure out what he was thinking.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

The Black Crowes.
Wide Eyed Stupid
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Where did you see them, Pittsburg? Man, I just looked up your town and you live in the middle of nowhere, no wonder you call it the armpit of hell! 8O
Last edited by danlo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Erie Pa at the Warner theater. Normally I would go to Cleveland though. I saw the Crowes the year they came out with the Southern Harmony Album, and I dont even know if the Warner still stands.
Wide Eyed Stupid
rbwright
Stonedownor

Post by rbwright »

Pat Benatar in Austin, I don't remember the exact year, it was in the early 80's.

Return to “Vespers”