And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good one, Nav!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:::Slytherin aspect of Menolly peeking through:::

The power...the POWER!!!

:::stepping back...looking around...oh, sorry:::

Now then. It appears as though this topic has been sitting here since long before I joined the Watch. I love the idea, although I have never taken part in any dissection. Is anyone still game to give it a go?

I propose this. Let us get through this month of new releases. The movie. The last book. Let us give us time to absorb the end of the series, tear apart the movie and what have you. How long should we expect the heat of doing that to last? Say, mid-September?

If so, as our excitement of the new releases wanes, I suggest those interested in doing a dissection look through PS, or SS if you have the American version, and think of which chapter(s) they want to take on. Post your interest here. All earlier posted stated interests are null and void; who knows whose lives have changed or interests have moved on since those were posted. So only those who post interest after this post will be contacted regarding chapter assignment and date. Fair enough?

Seriously, I don't want to come off right off the bat as a crack the whip board host. But, I have seen this thread stickied here at the top of the forum for as long as I've been a member of the Watch. I want to see this happen. If you all will help me, we will do it!

:::just don't expect me to take on a chapter myself::: ;)
Last edited by Menolly on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Menolly wrote: Seriously, I don't want to come off right off the bat as a crack the whip board host. But, I have seen this thread stickied here at the top of the forum for as long as I've been a member of the Watch. I want to see this happen. If you all will help me, we will do it!

:::just don't expect me to take on a chapter myself::: ;)
But that's the whole point of a dissection. Look at the TCTC dissection, each person gets a chapter (or two) and dissects it and the rest chime in with thoughts, arguments and observations and lavish praises. :biggrin: It's not quite as heady a work as it may seem.

I'll be watching here to sign up or go ahead and do so. Heck I'll even take first chapter! :biggrin:

what-am-I-saying???? 8O
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Seafoam Understone wrote:But that's the whole point of a dissection. Look at the TCTC dissection, each person gets a chapter (or two) and dissects it and the rest chime in with thoughts, arguments and observations and lavish praises. :biggrin: It's not quite as heady a work as it may seem.
Well...let me see how well organizing and getting others to do what they commit to first goes. Then maybe I'll take on a chapter or two.
Seafoam Understone wrote:I'll be watching here to sign up or go ahead and do so. Heck I'll even take first chapter! :biggrin:

what-am-I-saying???? 8O
Excellent!! It's a start!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Perhaps it should be done...AFTER the the last book comes out and we have hada chance to read it...it'd be too much right now!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*nodding*

That's why I'm suggesting starting in mid-September. May I put you on the list of interested dissectors?
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Menolly wrote:*nodding*

That's why I'm suggesting starting in mid-September. May I put you on the list of interested dissectors?
Yes you may! :D

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Kewl.

However...

:grumble:

It has been brought to my attention that with the release of FR in October, and the beginning of the Gap dissections, that mid-September may not be a good time to start this. I say we get this started then anyway as I am afraid the idea will just linger if we don't do so.

Once started, we can stop and go as we please. We'll have a schedule for chapter dissections set up, but we can always shift the remaining dissections ahead a few months or whatever if everyone agrees. Would that work? It will at least give us something to occupy us while we await the release of FR after the excitement for the movie and last book in the HP series dies down, yes?
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Agreed! But I'll go with whatever decision is made!

ImageImage
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

My question is to the Administrators of the Forum/BBS is: that will they give (us) a separate section that's dedicated to the 7 volume Dissection like with TCTC ?

Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

I've been thinking for a while that it would be kinda cool to have a late-July series of threads on Deathly Hallows, ie a thread for those who have read the first 3 chapters, another for those who have read 6 chapters, another for 9, etc.

And then the big one: "When you've finished HPDH".

I'd love to read a few chapters and then read the conjecture of others who have read no more than that before I move on.

The risk is that someone who has read on further might post spoilers.

I'll start the threads if anybody is interested, (or be pleasantly surprised if I log on to KW and someone else has, either way is cool).

I'm not really sure what I'd call them, though. Does "When you've read 3 chapters of Deathly Hallows and not a word more" sound right?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Seafoam Understone wrote:My question is to the Administrators of the Forum/BBS is: that will they give (us) a separate section that's dedicated to the 7 volume Dissection like with TCTC ?
Truthfully, I don't want to bother asking for this. I would rather keep it within this forum. As I said, I have never taken part in a dissection before, so I would rather keep it unofficial, and I suspect with FR being released and the official dissection of The Gap Cycle being started, that I would be discouraged from ever starting.

Does that make sense?
Trapper wrote:I've been thinking for a while that it would be kinda cool to have a late-July series of threads on Deathly Hallows, ie a thread for those who have read the first 3 chapters, another for those who have read 6 chapters, another for 9, etc.

And then the big one: "When you've finished HPDH".

I'd love to read a few chapters and then read the conjecture of others who have read no more than that before I move on.

The risk is that someone who has read on further might post spoilers.

I'll start the threads if anybody is interested, (or be pleasantly surprised if I log on to KW and someone else has, either way is cool).

I'm not really sure what I'd call them, though. Does "When you've read 3 chapters of Deathly Hallows and not a word more" sound right?
Trapper, it's an interesting idea. Let's see what others think. I guess I want to be that organized (or more) when we get to the dissection of DH after all the others, but in the meantime do what we have always done and post threads with spoiler warnings if necessary. But, I'm open to however the forum wishes to do it.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You guys can post all over the Hangar if you want---I'll give you a huge forum... 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

danlo wrote:You guys can post all over the Hangar if you want---I'll give you a huge forum... 8)
YAY DANLO!

Cool we're set then whenever we begin!

Looks around... uhh... where's the Hangar?? :wink:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

OK, OK, danlo, thanks for bringing that particular Hangar discussion here...

My concern is maybe, for whatever reasons, someone here who wants to dissect with us may not follow a posted link over to the Hangar (I'm in a hotel computer center, so I don't have my own bookmark to the Hangar handy to post), and we'll loose some potential participants who would take part here on the Watch.

Oh...I just dunno. I guess I could always post a poll and ask what everyone wants to do...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I personally think that a dissection between the release of the last book and the release of FR would be an excellent idea.... give us something to do an obsess over until FR comes out!

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:::double checking Guns:::

Are you saying a dissection of DH, before we do the previous books? Or do you mean starting from the beginning of the series in that time frame?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Seafoam wrote:Looks around... uhh... where's the Hangar?? :wink:
click my www
fall far and well Pilots!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

danlo wrote:
Seafoam wrote:Looks around... uhh... where's the Hangar?? :wink:
click my www
Hey....that's naughty!
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Menolly wrote::::double checking Guns:::

Are you saying a dissection of DH, before we do the previous books? Or do you mean starting from the beginning of the series in that time frame?
I can't speak for Guns, but that first option is exactly what I was suggesting in a nutshell.

I don't expect to have the last book of the HP series released again in my lifetime and I for one would like to take advantage of this rare opportunity.

To reiterate: I'd love to hear what other readers think after 3 chapters, 6 chapters, 9 chapters, etc...

I'd also like to post on such a thread. And see who responded, and with what.

The resulting delay in my actually reading those later chapters would be worth it for hearing what other Watchers had thought about the chapters I'd actually read.

Again, the danger is that someone would post spoilers...

PS Danlo, just bookmarked the Hangar, thanks. :)

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”