A spoiler heavy review of AATE

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Joan's memories are also being controlled by a Raver. Joan is retroactively viewing her personal history. What may have orginally been a tough choice to protect a child evolved into viewing Covenant as the cause of her woe. Whether or not this is true doesn't matter, Joan believes it is true and acts accordingly.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

rdhopeca wrote:In any event, I went and posted a question on the GI to ask SRD his opinion of the matter, to wit:
Good afternoon sir.

On the Watch, we're having a discussion about how much can be interpreted about an author's character and personal opinions based on the messages and/or themes housed within a work of fiction. In particular, if a work of fiction contains a lot of dysfunctional behavior within a love relationship (ie divorce, inability to reach out, etc etc), that one can imply that the author must have intimate knowledge of divorce et.al.

I've been insisting that one can't make any assumptions about the author's character or opinion, in the sense that if the novel is a horror novel, one can't then assume that the author enjoys killing and maiming, or spends his time down at the morgue swiping cadavers for experiments.

Realizing and respecting your privacy, I am still wondering...is it worthwhile to attempt to extrapolate things about the author based on their work?
Maybe he'll even answer :D
and he answered:
It has always seemed to me that attempting "to extrapolate things about the author based on their work" is a doomed exercise. The better the author, the more completely his/her experiences/emotions/opinions/self are both submerged and transformed in the work. (Just one mundane example: I started writing about divorce long before I actually experienced it. And having experienced it, I haven't written about it since--except to the extent that I've been following the implications of Covenant's divorce.) In fact, I'm inclined to argue that the whole point of my writing is to express what I am *not* (perhaps as a personal quest for wholeness). To get out of myself and into a realm composed entirely of imagination and empathy.

Of course, it ain't that simple. For one thing, I make all this stuff up (I mean my stories and characters): it pretty much has to express me SOMEhow. For another, an argument could be made that I am in the process of *becoming* what I write about. But anyone who chooses to draw conclusions on such bases is begging to be misled.

(01/12/2011)
Dare I say he agrees with my assertion?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."

Return to “Against All Things Ending”