The Walking Dead TV series on AMC

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Don't read this post if you're not current.

Far better than the last one, with far less silliness. Since they did nothing with T-Dog, I'm glad they visited the Black Guy Exchange. And thank God Lori's dead.

They've done a good job of interweaving the two settlements, and I imagine there's going to be quite the showdown when Rick meets The Governor. I think we're in for at least one more major character getting iced; probably Hot Farm Girl, which is a shame.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Like Cail said, spoilers ahead:

Hah. I thought the same thing about T-Dog, who I was finally beginning to like, unfortunately. I'm looking forward to seeing if the two new guys will be players or convenient casualties.

Another blessing to Lori's death is that Carl is now surprisingly interesting. I saw this on io9, and I'm going to steal it: Don't trade dead mom stories with Carl. :mrgreen: Of course, now that she's gone, Andrea is stepping into the Most Annoying Female Character that Needs to Die role.

I'm not really surprised to see Merle come back, but I liked the way he played the Neil situation to the Governor. Makes him more than an important evil lieutenant.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Yeah, Carl's gone through some very interesting character development. And Merle's moved from being just a stock psychotic redneck into being an integral part of the narrative.

Andrea is now the character who makes chronic poor choices, though she's not nearly as infuriating as Lori. Now that Carole isn't dead, it'll be interesting to see if she actually has a purpose.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Andrea: You must be pretty good.
Girl who looks kind of like Annie from Community: Yeah. And I have this really awesome bow. Now watch this.
[pseudo-Annie misses two shots. On a single walker. At close range. From on top of a wall.]

These people have survived how?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

[Syl] wrote:Andrea: You must be pretty good.
Girl who looks kind of like Annie from Community: Yeah. And I have this really awesome bow. Now watch this.
[pseudo-Annie misses two shots. On a single walker. At close range. From on top of a wall.]

Didn't she say her Dad had Olympic hopes for her or something? Apparently he thought she was special
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

sindatur wrote:
[Syl] wrote:Andrea: You must be pretty good.

Didn't she say her Dad had Olympic hopes for her or something? Apparently he thought she was special
She probably has lots of participation trophies.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

have caught up with all the season two episodes i missed.

will say that i was a fan of otis, so of course he died.

not sad to see Lori die. but these people have no idea how safe the prison could be, if the had properly secured it.

lock off the prison, and do a real sweep. Lori and T-Dog died because they didn't do a better job of making themselves safe.

in case of zombie attack my old unit would be perfect. even has a solar panel on the water pump house that could keep it running.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just watched all episodes for the first time. Absolutely loved it for the first 2.5 seasons. Very, very, very nice to see a show that has people in horribly dangerous circumstances on a regular basis actually have some of them die. Major characters, no less.

The whole Governor thing went on waaaaaay too long. I skipped through most of the last five or six episodes, just looking for anything to happen. Glad Andrea died. Idiot. Glad Merle died. He was an excellent evil prick.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Ah, but Merle beat the Governor. Bear with me. Some spoilers.

By turning the Governor's double-cross back on himself, he made Milton's deed matter (burning the Walkers). Certainly the Governor decided he could get by without the Walker ammunition, a miscalculation which pushed him closer to madness because Milton betrayed him.

The failure in the Tombs, as well as his army's inability to hold their ground, were inevitable because he underestimated Rick's group.
ItisWritten
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Watched 2.5 seasons so far. Things were getting tiresome and then ep12 was really good. I like the emotional music theme they introduced (even if it sounds like they ripped it out of X-Files season 7 or so-- anytime Scully got a hint of Mulder) and it gave Carl a good amount of screen time (the kid is probably the best actor of the ensemble). Even a smile when Mishawn (sp?) grabs the multicolor cat. :) Loved the bluesy music and a couple great details (like "Erin").

EDIT: Finished with season 3. I thought it was excellent and the overarching character development was great. I could even go along with Andrea's poor choices because I understood why she, as a character, made them. Darrell became my favorite character, loved the direction Carol went in- all of them.

Merle... an irresistible evil pr**k, you have to admit.

A zombie video, to celebrate: Dancing With Myself.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Just watched Season 4 Ep. 4, which brings me up to date. Is anyone still interested?
Spoiler
I'm sad to see Carol go, and wonder what Darryl will do.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I still watch it, silly as it is.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

deer of the dawn wrote:Just watched Season 4 Ep. 4, which brings me up to date. Is anyone still interested?
The whole family is quite raving about it.
deer of the dawn wrote:
Spoiler
I'm sad to see Carol go, and wonder what Darryl will do.
Good point.
Spoiler
I predict he'll be quite cross with Rick.

I have no clue where this season is going yet. Perhaps it will be 'civil war' in the prison?
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I think they move on from the prison at the end of this season.

guessing zombie horde will drive them out.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:I still watch it, silly as it is.
So do I, but I'm a couple of episodes behind at the moment so I've not looked at the spoiler tags above.

I can only take the show in small doses lately. I've grown tired of the relentless nature of the overall premise. I'm ready to see them move on, past the virus, start building the world again.

I've never read the graphic novels and maybe this never happens.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Cail wrote:I still watch it, silly as it is.
So do I, but I'm a couple of episodes behind at the moment so I've not looked at the spoiler tags above.

I can only take the show in small doses lately. I've grown tired of the relentless nature of the overall premise. I'm ready to see them move on, past the virus, start building the world again.

I've never read the graphic novels and maybe this never happens.
It's frustrating that our protagonists are so short-sighted and stupid. It's like they never think of anything until it's an emergency.

Someone's dying! We should get medicine!

And, most infuriatingly.....
Spoiler
no one thought to do something about the f*cking fence? Really?
Now granted, these are regular people and not tacticians, but damn....I'm no doomsday prepper and I'm so much better equipped right damn now than these guys are with all that stuff just laying about.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

My main annoyance (which isn't enough to nuke the whole show for me, yet) is that there should be more anxiety about resources like food, clothing, batteries, gasoline... a more concerted effort to produce, not just the little family garden, although it's a start. By now, every drop of fuel should be husbanded, since there won't be anymore after a certain point.

And Glenn's taking of the engagement ring from a zombie at the fence made me realize that there should be more interest in gold and silver. Whether or not it has any real value in their situation, I would think people would glom onto wedding rings, etc. as a form of possible currency.

Well, anyway, I watched Ep. 5 tonight.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The idea of having a stronghold is sound, but you've got to fortify it, and you've got to have it stocked with supplies.

They should have taken every military vehicle that Woodbury had. Once everyone was back, you divide people into groups; one to fortify the prison, one to guard the perimeter, and then you send as many groups of 3 or 4 out in those big military trucks to get every scrap of food, every bit of medicine, and every drop of water and gas.

Yes, the "family garden" is cute, but there should be wholesale farming going on inside the fence.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

agreed on many points.

Why don't they build a cow-catcher on the front of one of the military trucks so they can "plow" through hoards on the road? Wouldn't be that hard and would have really helped the initial group's plight when going to get supplies.

also, yes, the fence. :doh it should have been one of the first things to fortify.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

well working at a prison I have wondered many things...

1) why is there no Agriculture department at the prison? I just googled Georgia prisons and found this...

www.gci-ga.com/index.php?option=com_car ... =2&code1=1

there should be crops out in the fields beyond the prison. there should be an Ag shop with the seeds. might even already be an herb garden for the kitchen.

2) where is the maintenance shop? should be plenty of tools for fixing the fences and gates. and who thought wooden poles would be a good idea for fortifying the fence? there should be enough scrap metal around for that. or take apart some of the inside fences for that purpose. one of the units nearby will have the fence repair shop.

3) instead of looking towards towns for supplies why not hit the other prisons in the area? within an hour or two there should be a central supply unit. a warehouse chockfull of goodies. canned veggies, at least peanut butter and canned tuna.

4) if they know people turn when they die, why aren't the posting overnight guards and locking people in their cells? even in modern prisons you have manual key locks for when the power goes out. if it is an older unit you can roll all the doors at once from a separate place in front of the cells.

5) where is the unit housing? at least housing for the wardens/majors and other high-ups. in Texas we have BOQ's where officers can stay.

just some thoughts...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “TV Shows”