lorin's diet blog

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Good for you for starting over! Here are two things to put in your box:
The absolute certainty that you are going to go off your diet, and
The conviction that a single screwup doesn't mean you're a failure.

I know (because I've done it...) that what happens is that you'll have that Whopper and then blow it all out of proportion -- "OMG, I'm the biggest f*ckup alive, I can't believe I ate that, what the hell was I thinking -- well, the diet's blown and I feel terrible about myself now, I might as well eat an entire bag of Oreos too." But if you looked calmly at the points or calories or whatever, you would see that your diet can soak up the extra calories from the Whopper over, like, a week. That one event didn't *really* kill the diet. What killed the diet was beating yourself up over that single slip (and you know you're gonna slip -- no human being is perfect), and then compounding it by eating all the cookies to try to ease the guilt.

If it helps, you could think of your eating plan as a practice, like a yoga practice. Nobody expects to be perfect at yoga when they first start, or when they first take it up again after some time away. You're practicing doing the poses every day -- that's why they call it a practice. ;)

(It's very easy for me to talk calmly about all this, when I'm not in the throes of it myself... :roll:)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Lorin - my humble opinion is that your emergency stress-foods don't seem to be pseudo-decadent enough. The one exception is the feta cheese (for me, anyway). I think it might be helpful if you found a few more foods like that feta - rich enough to satisfy the need to indulge, and thus be more useful as a stress-oblitterator when you feel the need to eat as emotional coping mechanism -- but strong enough that you really wouldn't care to eat more than a proper portion or two of it.
The movie theater butter popcorn works like that for me - after I've torn through the bag, the salt/butter content generally sates my need to indulge long before I've bankrupted myself for the day.
Oreos, however, create a bottomless pit for me. With the proper milk supply, I have eaten an entire bag of Oreos in one sitting before - and an hour later I was hungry again. That's not right. Thankfully, that is one habit that I have broken - and that behavior is far enough behind me now that when I mistakenly think it might be a good idea again, I only get a few cookies in before my body says "no more please thanks bye."
Of course, in the long run, the perfect solution would be to find ways to identify the emotional stressors and deal with them in ways that don't involve medicating with food. Easy,right? But hey, when you figure out how to pull that off, be sure and write it down - it will make you rich and famous. Everyone wants to know how to do that. :D

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Lorin - my humble opinion is that your emergency stress-foods don't seem to be pseudo-decadent enough.
dw
I see what you are saying but to me good stress food is scary. It is a fine line between decadence and trigger foods (like oreos ). Where is the difference? If it tastes too good will I be able to stop? It's like an alcoholic drinking non alcoholic beer, very tempting. But on the other hand, am I going to go through life only eating bland foods that don't trigger me. That is not the solution either. I don't know, I just don't know.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I get what you are saying -- if it's that good, why stop eating it, right?
If super rich foods like feta might trigger a loss of control before you decide you've had enough, better to find something that is pseudo-decadent, where it tastes like a decadent food but really isn't, and you fill up on it far before the calories become toxic.
Lots of celery with a few string cheeses and just one of those little blister packs of cream cheese or smuckers peanut butter?
Lots of apple slices with a dollop of real caramel sundae sauce?
Lots of fresh raspberries with a couple Dove Dark Promises?
A handful of blue diamond smokehouse almonds (my favorite)
A few Triscuits with lowfat cheddar cheese slices and then dusted liberally with smoked paprika or sweetened cayenne pepper.

For me, most of these foods are satisfying at relatively low quantities -- meaning that after a short while eating them I really don't care to have any more of them, either because they literally fill me up, or because the flavors are strong enough that I am sated quickly. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*nodding*

I was going to suggest having a supply of hard boiled eggs on hand, if you can eat one at a time, for an easy protein quick grab stress food. After taking the time to peel one, eating just one should give you enough time to have worked past the craving.

Another thing that shuts down hunger for me is a nice slice of:

In case you can't make that out, it is a package of Canadian white extra sharp cheddar cheese that has been aged over four years. I have only seen it at Sam's Club, although I am sure it is available elsewhere. A slice of that, with some sliced apple or pear, is decadent and truly shuts down all other cravings.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Menolly wrote:
OMG!!!! That would never last the night!!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

That's what the apple and/or pear is for...

I am serious.
This stuff is so sharp, it really is difficult to eat more than one slice at a time. Even with fruit to cut the sharpness.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Firday, September 23rd, 2011

Ok, better yesterday. I did not eat in the car, I did not stop by any fast food, I did not eat any beef. Food was ok, not perfect, but ok. I walked about 1 mile yesterday, which was not enough but it will have to do. Helldog got into a giant bag of dog treats yesterday and devoured most of it. I noticed she is getting pretty hefty. I think I am guilt feeding her treats because since the kids left she is alone all day and miserable. Or I am projecting she is miserable. Guilt feeding......so now am I not only emotionally eating, I am emotionally feeding. So I now have a diet partner, a four legged one.

Speaking of emotional eating, back to H.A.L.T.

Loneliness.
It's all a vicious cycle, isn't it? The more lonely I am, the more I isolate with my drug (food) the more lonely I get. For me the two solutions to my loneliness have always been geographical cures and food. Geographical cures is something I picked up from my father. It is terrible and it doesn't work. Every time I got very lonely I would move. To a new neighborhood, a new state, a new job, a new country. I would say to myself that things will be better 'on the other side' of wherever. And it never was. I began to realize only recently that it was waaaay more than that. What it was doing was always keeping me on the fringes, giving me an 'excuse' to be on the outside looking in. Always the new kid. But this is a diet blog so back to food, though I think it is all related. I am trying not to seek any geographical cures (right now) so staying put drives me into isolation and eating. And isn't loneliness just fear, really? Fear of putting yourself out and being rejected. I have got to ad things to my toolbox for those lonely moments when I reach for food. Specifically, friends and dare I say it..........go back to dating.....yuck. I need 3d friends. It is too easy to type with one hand and stuff my face with the other. I have no real social life anymore. 60 hour work week, commuting, home repair and walking. AND EATING.

So I am going to find a way to ad 3d friends to my toolbox.

Have a good day everyone.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote: Lots of celery with a few string cheeses and just one of those little blister packs of cream cheese or smuckers peanut butter?
Lots of apple slices with a dollop of real caramel sundae sauce?
Lots of fresh raspberries with a couple Dove Dark Promises?
A handful of blue diamond smokehouse almonds (my favorite)
A few Triscuits with lowfat cheddar cheese slices and then dusted liberally with smoked paprika or sweetened cayenne pepper.
yours and menollys suggestions sound fabulous and the way you put them together sounds low calorie enough to work. But you know that jar of peanut butter, that box of triscuits, the Dove dark promises, well those things will sit in the cabinet but......did you know they emit a low level hummmmmmmm that only I can hear? And that hummmm tortures me until I destroy it.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

lorin wrote:And that hummmm tortures me until I destroy it.
I understand. I feel the same way about ice cream - which is a single serving no matter what size the container is. My solution - unless there is a birthday party that I am hosting, I don't buy ice cream. Instead, I make a mug of cake:
www.grouprecipes.com/72684/microwave-ca ... e-mug.html
It is indulgent enough to satisfy the craving for sweet, but you must make it each time (a *good* deterrent to prevent torturous humming ;)) and when you are finished it isn't a whole cake you have in front of you. And it's inexpensive.

Back to practicality - would getting individually wrapped items serve your needs better? Places like the warehouse clubs and Gorton's Food Service store offer commercial packs of items, like the little sealed blisters of jelly, cream cheese & peanut butter found at restaurant tables. Ounce for ounce, the multi-packs are *way* pricier than jars of same, but perhaps the individual packaging can provide enough of a deterrent to endure temporary lulls in willpower.

Taking the idea further, with plastic bags and one of those 'As Seen on TV' sealer presses, you can make your own single-serve packs. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, but if you think it might work for you, it just might be worth it.

dw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I haven't bought 'em in awhile, but there's a single-serve cake mix on the market that does the same thing as dukkha's cake-in-a-mug. I remember the chocolate raspberry being really, really tasty. :)

With ice cream, I'll eat a whole Ben & Jerry's size at once, but the bigger ones (that used to be half-gallons before the ice cream makers cheaped out :evil:) I won't. Plus I decided that most of the lowfat ones taste like crap. So I usually buy Turkey Hill Philadelphia Style, which doesn't contain any ingredients I can't pronounce. ;) Even then, the problem is limiting the portion size; I'll use a small bowl but load it up with three scoops. :roll: I have been seeing half-cup single serving ice cream -- decent stuff like Haagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's -- at the store, but haven't bought any because they're kind of pricey compared to an ersatz half-gallon.

Anyway...I started a post this morning about lorin's "always the new kid" comment, but had to bail in order to catch the bus. I've moved and changed jobs a lot in my adult life. Some of it was probably "new kid" related, altho a lot was due to my profession (radio news people change jobs, on average, every two years). I've been back in DC and out of radio for more than a decade now -- but when I moved back, it was with the attitude that I was "just passing through" because I intended to move back to Denver soonest. I realized a few years ago that because of that attitude, I was deliberately skipping opportunities to build any sort of RL community. I've taken a few baby steps since then to get involved -- but still, I recoil when RL people try to drag me into their RL dramalamadingdong. ("Danger! Abort! Abort!")

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

(Ali - about your thyroid question. I'd need more info about your condition to give anything more than REALLY general advice. let's assume you're hypOthyroid and taking levothyroxine, and you get an annual blood test to check your thyroxine levels, as that's the situation for 90%+ people with thyroid problems.

General diet advice for hypothyroidism isn't much different to diabetes - smaller meals, frequently. Saying that, I have NEVER come across dietary habits playing havoc with steady thyroxine levels the way you describe it. And it's a REALLY common condition, we probably have 5-10 hypothyroid customers through the pharmacy every day, of all shapes and sizes and age and means. With diabetes, diet is of number 1 importance, with (WELL-MANAGED) hypothyroidism it's not usually even on the radar of what's important.

So, my first instinct would be to say that your thyroxine levels going crazy when you were on that diet would more likely be due to whatever it was that caused you to go on the diet in the first place - perhaps lots of stress or depression or a big change in your day to day life, at that time. Or just that you had gained weight over a short period. If your weight yo-yos, it'll affect your levels.

There's a school of thought that there are certain foods that you shouldn't eat (or eat less of) when hypothyroid - soy, broccoli, spinach etc, and some that you should eat more of - seaweedy things high in iodine. Personally I wouldn't recommend you even think about this (and I wasn't sure I should even mention it!), AS LONG AS you are getting your annual blood tests done and your levothyroxine levels adjusted accordingly.

PM or fb me if you want to discuss privately. )
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Stone -- thanks! :) Yes, I'm hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) and taking levothyroxine. I'll pm you the rest.

EZ Board Survivor

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Sunday, 9/25/11

So I took a diet blog day off and that's ok too. :)
Went for a walk yesterday in the woods but made a giant mistake. I allowed my neighbor to come with me. She....did....not....stop....talking. I heard about her flat butt, her ulcerated veins, her smoking, her idiot sons, every job she has had in her 62 years, her clothing, her abusive step father, her cooking, her tendency to horde, her hair, oy......... I did not hear one bird, (I think they were afraid to chirp) one rustling leaf, nothing but her burn out valley girl, smoke damaged voice yammering for one and a half hours.

Went out to dinner Friday night and ate a great meal that wasn't too calorie packed. Sometimes it's about the eyes as much as the tummy. This was a South American place with takes on different Latin foods. I try not to talk too much about recipes and stuff here but I will since I learned something from their food. They took long thin strips of cucumber and shaped them into a bowl. Then they put arugula and other greens into the 'bowl' with avocado and bamboo. They made a light dressing out of orange juice. It was so nice. I had a virgin mohito made with passion fruit juice and fresh lime.I had rotisserie chicken with two dipping sauces, one cilantro and one pepper. The only bad thing I had was yuca fries with chopped garlic. It was all just really pretty and tasty and not calorie packed.

The trick is knowing when to stop, knowing when you are full. I have a little trick I do, especially when I go to a diner. Jersey diners are notorious for huge portions. When I place an order I ask for an extra plate. When the order comes, while the server is standing there, I divide the food in half, put half on the new plate, hand the other half back to the server and ask him or her to wrap it to go. It stops you from picking at the food when you are already full.

Another trick I have is checking the menu online and selecting my meal. The reason for that is to avoid reading the huge menu and getting hungry.
Anyone have any other survival techniques they want to share?

Found a great site the really helps with your diet. It's not just a calorie counter. nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2

Have a peaceful Sunday.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Monday, 9/26/11

Nothing much to say right now. Have a good day, everyone.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

lorin wrote:Loneliness. It's all a vicious cycle, isn't it? The more lonely I am, the more I isolate with my drug (food) the more lonely I get. For me the two solutions to my loneliness have always been geographical cures and food. Geographical cures is something I picked up from my father. It is terrible and it doesn't work. Every time I got very lonely I would move. To a new neighborhood, a new state, a new job, a new country. I would say to myself that things will be better 'on the other side' of wherever. And it never was. I began to realize only recently that it was waaaay more than that. What it was doing was always keeping me on the fringes, giving me an 'excuse' to be on the outside looking in. Always the new kid. But this is a diet blog so back to food, though I think it is all related. I am trying not to seek any geographical cures (right now) so staying put drives me into isolation and eating. And isn't loneliness just fear, really? Fear of putting yourself out and being rejected. I have got to ad things to my toolbox for those lonely moments when I reach for food. Specifically, friends and dare I say it..........go back to dating.....yuck. I need 3d friends. It is too easy to type with one hand and stuff my face with the other. I have no real social life anymore. 60 hour work week, commuting, home repair and walking. AND EATING.

So I am going to find a way to ad 3d friends to my toolbox.

Have a good day everyone.
Hey lorin... good for you! I think that your piecing together those parts of the picture can be valuable; I totally see its relevance. I've seen bits and pieces of analogous stuff in my own life. So frustrating that knowing and analyzing the problem doesn't DO anything about it. (when I'm isolating myself, I analyze; but you probably guessed that on a diff thread)

Sorry to hear that recent attempt to connect to someone in 3D (walking with your neighbor) was so disappointing! Well, that's not gonna help the motivation!

So you've identified that "geographical cures" are partly about running away and self-sabotage... BUT don't overlook the fact that any woman who tries a "geographical solution" more than once must have some strengths: daring and flexibility, for two of them!
Went out to dinner Friday night and ate a great meal that wasn't too calorie packed. Sometimes it's about the eyes as much as the tummy.
Liked your description of the meal... sounds like that's the kind of thing that would make me feel pampered. And pampering is a good feeling![/color][/b]
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Saturday, October 1st, 2011

Ok I am back. I was going to stop the blog because I felt like I was standing in a giant room and my voice was echoing off all the walls. But Linna pm'd me about the blog and she gifted me with an aha moment. My hiatus was all about ego. Am I writing this for others or am I writing this for myself? I need to remember that just like any journal this is written for me. If people chose to ride along all the better. But in my own defense it is a little difficult to speak on personal issues that effect my eating habits knowing that it is being read, even by the nonjudgemental people on the Watch. But maybe that's my ego talking as well.

So I am back at it. My week away was not great. I lost my perspective here and at home and at the job. Stress can do that. And, baby, I gotta lot of stress, internal and external. And I turn that stress inward into depression and outward into eating. I wish stress would make me go on a celery binge, or go through the drive through and order seven waters. :biggrin: These days the stress has been sneaky. I am ok at work. But as I get home, thinking of all the crappy issues going on in my life I start to get hungers. By the time I hit my house I am in search of anything that is fried, salty or sweet. But last night I ate some turkey bean chilli and that seemed to calm the monster. Of course, between the chilli and the six calls from work last night I was up all night.

Today I am going to take a long walk and try and relax.

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011

Beautiful fall day. Time for a walk in the woods. I used to take my ipod and listen to music but one day I just took it off and listened to the music in the woods. Never used it in the woods again.

I have decided to go back to weight watchers beginning in mid october when hopefully the old house will be repaired and I can shut it down for the winter. I need the support. I can't maintain this dieting alone. I was not big on WW but compared to the others out there it is the best. I tasted one of those jenny craig (or was it nutrisystem) meals and it tasted like a chemical soup. It left a chemically bad taste in my mouth). I would rather cook my own food. Not big into this point thing but what the hell, I need support so I will put up with it.

My mother had her problems, but one thing she was all about was nutrition. I remember as a kid she would make us read the ingredients on everything. We had to look for bha and bht (some kind of preservative) and make sure it wasn't in our food. Now that was in the early 60's when chemicals were the answer to all life's problems. Another time I remember as a teen asking her to buy some kind of low calorie spread instead of butter. She said just eat the butter, it's pure. Just eat a tiny bit and be done. Don't eat the whole stick 8O . We always had a salad with dinner, even before it was trendy. She never allowed bottled dressing in the house, oil and vinegar would do just fine. But for all my mother's nutritional efforts, my father and his bagels loomed in the background. So my mother would give us half a grapefruit for breakfast and then my father would come in sunday with warm bagels, cream cheese, lox, whitefish, yada, yada, yada. I think, after a while, she just gave up.

Anyway, off to the woods.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

lorin wrote:I have decided to go back to weight watchers beginning in mid october when hopefully the old house will be repaired and I can shut it down for the winter. I need the support. I can't maintain this dieting alone. I was not big on WW but compared to the others out there it is the best.
This sounds awesome! I think this counts as (trying) to add face-to-face friends to your toolbox...
lorin wrote:But for all my mother's nutritional efforts, my father and his bagels loomed in the background. So my mother would give us half a grapefruit for breakfast and then my father would come in sunday with warm bagels, cream cheese, lox, whitefish, yada, yada, yada. I think, after a while, she just gave up.
Ouch... two very different visions for loving and caring for others.
There can be such beauty in teaching ones children appreciation for a simple, healthy meal.
And there can be such beauty in providing your family with an abundant feast.
But then, with the kind of conflict that probably resulted at your house in practice... (whether frappe, or simmering, or boiling over)
...both sides' intentions end up taking a turn for the worse.
And then, there you are, the kid, caught between two extremes, and wondering what's the "safest" choice to make. :roll:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
lorin wrote:But for all my mother's nutritional efforts, my father and his bagels loomed in the background. So my mother would give us half a grapefruit for breakfast and then my father would come in sunday with warm bagels, cream cheese, lox, whitefish, yada, yada, yada. I think, after a while, she just gave up.
Ouch... two very different visions for loving and caring for others.
There can be such beauty in teaching ones children appreciation for a simple, healthy meal.
And there can be such beauty in providing your family with an abundant feast.
But then, with the kind of conflict that probably resulted at your house in practice... (whether frappe, or simmering, or boiling over)
...both sides' intentions end up taking a turn for the worse.
And then, there you are, the kid, caught between two extremes, and wondering what's the "safest" choice to make. :roll:
Whereas I see the weekly Sunday smoked fish and bagels spread as tradition, and not disruptive to nutritional oriented eating the rest of the week. It sounds like a shame it could not be viewed as the weekly treat, as a reward for healthy eating the rest of the time. Definitely not a reason to cave completely on getting the family to eat healthy the rest of the time.

And truthfully, I feel partaking of those foods once a week is healthy. I can see it being a problem everyday, but once a week should prevent one from feeling deprived.

Return to “The Galley”