New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Yes, The Empty Child is very, very good! Spooky and touching. It's already one of my favorite Dr. Who stories ever--though I say that without having seen a great many episodes of the series through the years. I probably said this before, but I really only came to like Dr. Who because of Peter Davison. I then put up with Colin Baker, and lost interest after McCoy stepped in. So for me, it's easy to pick Davison and Eccleston as favorites.

Er...which Doctor did Sarah Jane accompany? You'll have to excuse me, I haven't familiarized myself with all the characters/relationships in the Dr. Who universe. :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

She was with Pertwee in his final season, then accompanied Tom Baker for 2.5 seasons.

Davison is excellent. Some of his stories, and his characterisation, are excellent. Earthshock is a brilliant story - one of my favourite, as well as The Visitation, Warriors of the Deep, and others.

Colin Baker's era is dreadful. The actor is great, but they let him down with bad costume and poor stories.

McCoy's era isn't bad, it's just that it becomes too self-referential (though Cure of Fenric is outstanding).
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

There is a telemovie in production. Tennant is the doctor and rose is the companion. It also features the return of . . . Sarah Jane Smith!
Other news, Rose is to be the companion throughout all 13 new episodes and the Cybermen ARE to return.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks for the news, LM! Nice to hear Rose will be sticking around. :)

re: Cybermen -- I'm guessing they're a major part of Dr. Who lore like the Daleks, but I don't know them. Looking forward to seeing them in the new season!

A recent question in SRD's GI relating to Dr. Who:
Larry: How did you like Tom Baker in the BBC production of The Chronicles of Narnia (actually an adaptation of only three of the books if I recall correctly) as Puddle Glum? This series had a strangely "hippie" look to it that I liked.

SRD: Tom Baker was a good Doctor and an excellent Puddleglum. In "Dr Who," however, I actually preferred the earnestness of Jon Pertwee and Peter Davidson, and the crackpot flamboyance of Colin Baker. Just my opinion.
Yay! SRD liked Davison, too! :D
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I agree with SRD. Baker had a good three year run but when there was a change of producers the stories went downhill and he became more silly. Davison and Pertwee were just great.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Just watched the last episode of the season. Great story! I will miss Eccleston as the doctor.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Dr. Who telemovie?

Post by taraswizard »

Loremaster wrote
There is a telemovie in production. Tennant is the doctor and rose is the companion.
Telemovie? Are you discussing the Christmas special. AFAIK, starting I think next spring the Russell T. Davies production staff is airing new episodes in a second season's production as they did for the first season's production just concluded this past June. And repeating previous information David Tennant has taken over the role of the Doctor, Billie Piper (and she is so entirely suitable for the role) continues as Rose Tyler. There will be special guest appearances by Liz Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith and Tony Head (previously of Manchild, Spooks, and BtVS) during this second seasons run of episodes. And John Barrowman returns as Captain Jack.

So Russell T. Davies his staff of writers and the cast and crew have done the seemingly impossible of an absence of 16 yrs., they've revived and made very successful a series that was presumed dead by the pundits and PTB.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I'll be curious to see what kind of wardrobe Tennant will adopt for his version of the Doctor. Not that I'm judging a book by its cover, of course... :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:::still awaiting word of the show airing in the states:::
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Matrixman wrote:I'll be curious to see what kind of wardrobe Tennant will adopt for his version of the Doctor. Not that I'm judging a book by its cover, of course... :)
Here is an image, MM.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4717755.stm
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, LM! I liked the lean, minimalist style of Eccleston, but Tennant looks all right. Geek chic, eh? :wink: Those Brits are always on the cutting edge of fashion...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I love the new look. I also loved Eccleston's look. I will miss him.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Dr. Who suitable for all?

Post by taraswizard »

OK, locally here in Chicago we have a Dr. Who fan group Chronicles of Who www.chroniclesofwho.tvheaven.com/index.html and one of our members is absolutely convinced that the new series as created by Russell T. Davies is unsuitable for childern. Any one have any thoughts? ATM, this particular fan has been unable to enjoy any of the new episodes because of his perception of the adult and mature nature of the new series. I have not seen all the season one episodes, so I cannot comment. However, of the three episodes I've seen, I really do not see what he's talking about. If I was to speculate, I might think this fellow has such a severe case of nostalgia for the old series (Hartnell, Traughton, Pertwee, Baker, Davison, Baker, and McCoy) that any new series is not going to met his standards. This group seems to bear the standard for the old Dr. Who shows very strongly and is really resistant to anything new, innovative and/or original. For example, the new SciFi Battlestar Galatica is way to modern for most of them, not to say they universally pine for the old Lorne Green series but they're just not particularly happy where the new series has gone.

But maybe he has a point? Furthermore, when this fellow is given the empirical data that the new series has been such a hit in the UK, to assume it's not being watched by kids, he just ignores it.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

taraswizard, that's just sad to hear. While I can respect that hardcore fan's devotion to the "old" Dr. Who shows, I'm left shaking my head at his dismissal of the new series.

As to whether or not the new Dr. Who is suitable for children...I don't know. I don't think it's a simple answer. At what age does that disapproving fan think a child should be before said child is "mature" enough to watch the new Dr. Who? I remember there were moments from the old shows that seemed pretty dark to me, so it's not like the old era was all squeaky nice and clean for kids either. And why should it be, anyway? Was Dr. Who originally conceived as a children's show?

I thought one of the very best episodes of the new Dr. Who was the 2-parter, "The Empty Child." Apparently it was a remake of an episode from the early days. It would be interesting to compare the old and new versions, to see how much darker or more "adult" the new one is. "The Empty Child" is certainly a somber story with very creepy imagery. But does that mean children shouldn't watch it? Personally, if I had kids, I would let them.

You may be right that these hard-line fans suffer from severe nostalgia. You mentioned Battlestar Galactica: I was fond of the original show, too, but that didn't prevent me from appreciating the excellence of the new version.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

for all American Who fans. try writing to your local PBS station. in New Hampshire that is who always ran the show. in fact I worked a telethon during the Dr.Who broadcast.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

The North American region 1 DVD's are due out Valentines Day 2006.

Anyone close to or in Canada willing to tape the Christmas Special?
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
SPKx
Stonedownor

Post by SPKx »

I watched about 6 episodes of the new show.

I liked it, but it's just hard for me to be committed to watching a show (I usually have to rely on taping shows)

EDIT:
I would, but since I (still) use VHS to tape (and I have no video capture equipment to send it the computer), it would be in vain.
Sean Patrick Kelly
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

SPKx wrote:I watched about 6 episodes of the new show.

I liked it, but it's just hard for me to be committed to watching a show (I usually have to rely on taping shows)

EDIT:
I would, but since I (still) use VHS to tape (and I have no video capture equipment to send it the computer), it would be in vain.
Wonderful! I too rely on VHS. Would gladly send tape and postage. Let me PM.
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
ur-monkey
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by ur-monkey »

Sarah Jane was the best companion.
I concur. :D
Quin, suffering from total amnesia, slowly discovers himself possessed of inexplicable abilities as his world expands...

https://www.quinsabduction.org/
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

my dad was always found of the barbarian girl. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “TV Shows”