Serenity

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yes, I noticed the continuity issue as well. A little disappointing.
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

I saw Serenity before Firefly (still only seen episode 1). But while I was watching Firely ep. 1, I too noticed that consistency issue--more like I raised my eyebrow at it and then went on to continue having my faith in american tv restored.
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I think that kind of continuity error bothers me so much because, to me, it suggests one (or both) of two things:

1) Sloppiness.

2) Lack of respect for the subject.

Grrr.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Re-watched several episodes of Firefly today. It's sooooo much better than Serenity.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I agree. Serenity isn't bad at all, in fact, it's quite good. But the series was just incredible. i watched Jaynestown last night before I went to bed, and I just loved it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Don't worry, guys. I'm sure that if you watch it enough, you'll find tons of inconsistencies in Firefly, too. :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Well, technically Angel was Spike's sire... his grandsire at any rate. So that can be explained. And several times throughout Buffy and Angel it is related that the grandsires can also be considered sires.

And it could also be explained that Simon chose not to divulge this information to Mal... I mean he chose not to give other information away... so it is possible that he did so again.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Nope. Joss is just wrong. There's really only one way you can take "You were my sire, man!" As for Simon, there's no reason he'd lie about the nature of River's rescue, or at least not in that way.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

And, also, remember that Simon didn't mention that he didn't help break River out.

Remember this as well: It was a good movie, quit bitching. :P
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Guys, please. This is the Serenity thread, not the Buffy thread....Speaking of, I'm rooting for the original (and best) Buffy to win tonight's ice skating thing! Go Kristy Swanson!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

buffy is relevant in this discussion dAN, because we are discussing flaws within Joss' work on Serenity... and Roger has stated that it is hardly a new aspect of Joss' writing; be relating it to other shows that Mr Whedon has worked on.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Ahh, you have to look at it from my perspective. I only watched the Buffy movie, and a few episodes of the show, so I have yet to come to the realization that Mr. Whedon makes mistakes.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

dANdeLION wrote:Ahh, you have to look at it from my perspective. I only watched the Buffy movie, and a few episodes of the show, so I have yet to come to the realization that Mr. Whedon makes mistakes.
I think he knows the mistakes he's made... but come on, loads of author's and writers make mistakes... Rowling, Naylor, Jordan, plenty of people make mistakes.

And Joss Whedon might not have wrote the exact episode where Spike says "You were my sire". He had plenty of backup writers supporting him.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Revan wrote:And, also, remember that Simon didn't mention that he didn't help break River out.
He said quite explicitly that he found someone to break her out from stasis, and that they delivered her to him on Persephone not long before he boarded Serenity.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Murrin wrote:
Revan wrote:And, also, remember that Simon didn't mention that he didn't help break River out.
He said quite explicitly that he found someone to break her out from stasis, and that they delivered her to him on Persephone not long before he boarded Serenity.
Yeah, but both can be true. He did find someone to break her out... who most likely got him false authorization to be there... how else can you explain him being there to get River? He couldn't just walk in the installation... and they could have snuck River out in stasis because they had no other way to elude the Alliance.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Oh, that inconsistency! I did notice that one, and I think Rev's explanation is the best one.....besides, it's not like Simon had time to explain everything in excruciatingly accurate detail back in the Firefly episode (and he clearly didn't want to tell them everything, anyway).
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Since I just finished Firefly, I'm watching Serenity now. I'm a huge fan, I'll be buying the DVDs soon.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Serenity was great. The part with the Reaver fleet arriving to fight the Alliance fleet was incredible.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Just finished Serenity - all in all, it's a great movie, but one thing that I really liked about Firefly was the wit and humor; that was missing from Serenity. Serenity is darker, more violent - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a good movie, I highly recommend it.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Just a shame there were some story holes. Like how the Reavers continue their kind - perhaps breeding? And, more importantly, how they manager their ships/fleets. If they are that psychotic, I find it difficult to imagine that they can pilot their ships or manage repairs or alterations. Further, the fleet in orbit of Miranda seemed too ordered and peaceful.

More explanation would have been good. Maybe a sequel will do just that.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “Flicks”