Ideas and Theories [Major Spoilers]

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

sindatur,
Ron's death has been foreshadowed since the beginning. I personally have always believed that it would be the death of his heart (Most likely by losing Hermione) not of him personally, and I really don't want to think about Hary, or the other losing one of those two, so if one dies, I prefer they all do in the noble cause, and experience the next great adventure together.
I can see Ron dying, but I can't see him losing Hermione. How would that happen?

I'm glad that Book 7 will be the end of the Potter series. I don't want a never-ending franchise, a la Wheel of Time, complete with prequels.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Just more thinking twists.

She's made her foreshadowing far too obvious for Ron's death (Unicorn hair in his wand, signifying the death of an innocent, like Cedric, sacrificing himself in the chess game, standing up first from a table of (13?), Molly's boggart, etc)

So, I just feel there's a twist there. Therefore, rather than the death of himself, the death of his heart. We actually had a bit of a scare with her in the Ministrey in OotP. Of course the twist could be that Ron lives, and the foreshadowing was just messing with our heads, or it could be the death of his friend Harry.

Hermione and Ron have vowed to stand by Harry's side in Book 7, and Hermione has become a much different person than she was when they saved her from the troll in Book 1. She's quite the risk taker these days, and I can easily see her being in a position she won't walk out of.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I agree. Those three are going to see some serious action in Book 7.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

This is the best place to hear all these great-thinking theories! I am sending a friend of mine to the watch because we can have whole coversations about our ideas for book 7. (I plan to let her borrow my "Mordant's Need" books to get her started into SRD.)
I reread the whole six books and I totally agree with Alynna about Abeforth!
Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:Abeforth was at the funeral, though... the barman from the Hog's Head. At least, the prevailing theory is that that's Abeforth. I forget if it was GOF or OotP, but when Harry goes in there, he thinks the barman looks familiar, and it smells of goat... and there was that thing about Abefoth and inappropriate spells on a goat...
My other ideas were put in this thread:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=255457&highlight=#255457
:gandalf: Basically I believe that Dumbledore will be reborn from ashes like his Phoenix Fawkes, That Snape truly did not "kill" with the A.K. curse, (I believe the hint was in the argument between Snape & Dumbledore - that Hagrid & Harry spoke about as well as B.C. as M.E.M. saying the whole class could scream A.K. and he might not get more than a nose bleed) Harry MUST return to Hogwarts to find the other Horcruxes (after visiting his parents home) and Bill's wolfish nature will turn on Volde in the end! (mwa-ha ha-hee hee)
:evilfoul:
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Interesting idea brought up at FBS:
Medsin at FantasyBookSpot wrote: I was staring at my books today trying to decide which to read again. My eyes crossed the latest installment of HP. I wasn't going to read it but my mind went through remembering all the events that happened in the book. One of which was Dumbledore's killing. then i thought.... Maybe Dumbledore wanted snape to kill him so that he can put his blood and protection on Harry. Just like what harry's mother did. To ensure protection of potter.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Ooh, I never thought about it being for the same Ancient Magic protection Lily gave Harry.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Has this site been shared here yet?
Spoiler
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I can see what that spoiler says without highlighting it because it's a link. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

veryyyy interesting....
Spoiler
I was dead set with the idea that Dumbledore was dead, but this causes me to question.... heheheh
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Spoiler
He's dead Jim!!! It's part of the Hero's journey for his mentors to all die, so he can face the "Big bad" by himself, and truly come into himself.
Why are we bothering with Spoiler tags? Hasn't this spoiler point already been discussed without them in this thread?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

variol son wrote:I can see what that spoiler says without highlighting it because it's a link. :D
Well bummer...I tried.
sindatur wrote:Why are we bothering with Spoiler tags? Hasn't this spoiler point already been discussed without them in this thread?
Well, for me I can say if I jump in to the middle of a thread, I may not go back and read the previous posts (hence my question if the site I put in the spoiler tag was already shared here). If someone does the same, they may not expect something of that nature to be unspoiled, even though there is a huge warning in the subject line.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Ah, fair enough, my apologies.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

*sigh* Having read an insightful intervied of JK Rowling by the heads of Mugglenet and The Leaky Cauldron, I think all my hopeful theories about Snape have been shot to hell. Damnit.

www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview1.html (There are three parts)

My new theory, spoilered just in case ;) :
Spoiler
Snape didn't have any ulterior motive for killing Dumbledore. When the third part of the Unbreakable Vow was presented to him, he made a choice right there to come out of the situation alive. If Dumbledore knew a way to free him from the Vow, fine. If not, well, he was in good with Voldemort, so why throw that away? After all, the fate of the Light rests on the shoulders of a boy Snape has neither confidence in nor respect for.

I think he might regret that he killed Dumbledore, on some level. The headmaster did show him much kidness, after all. But Dumbledore also undermined him in front of his most hated students, showed limited trust in him by denying him the DADA post, and put him in situation he wanted no part of.

And the kicker... I think Snape still owes a life debt to Harry through James, or made a promise to Dumbledore - another Unbreakable Vow - not to harm the boy. He can do all the damage he wants to the Light, but he can't hurt Harry physically.

So basically Snape behaved like a true Slytherin: he saw what appeared to be the better opportunity, being in Voldemort's camp, so he cut and ran, but he couldn't do anything about taking Harry with him or killing him on the spot.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

But there's still one thing that nags at me about that idea, Alynna -
Spoiler
and that is, Dumbledore gave Snape the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, even though he knew that if he did so then by the end of the year Snape would no longer be a teacher at Hogwarts. Why put Snape in this position unless Snape's departure was intended from the beginning?
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I'm just annoyed that we still know practically nothing about Lily, even with Slughorn there. I mean, he could have filled in the gaps so that we knew equal amounts about both Harry's parents, but he didn't. :-x And Rowling was no help in that interview either when she refused to say why Voldemort gave Lily a choice to run but not James. :x
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Spoiler
I'm with Murrin, I think Dumbledore and Snape had an agreement that Snape would kill Dumbledore. I will be far more surprised if Snape was not acting on Dumbledore's orders when Snape killed him, then that he wasn't.

Snape's a creep, and I can't imagine, other than an unbreakable vow, why Dumbledore trusts him, but, he is Dumbledore's creep. (IMHO, that is). Dumbledore would enver beg for his life, especially to someone who betrayed him, therefore, Dumbledore must have been begging Snape to follow through on the agreement and finish him off, for the good of the cause. It's Harry's war now, Dumbledore is no longer needed
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Murrin wrote:But there's still one thing that nags at me about that idea, Alynna -
Spoiler
and that is, Dumbledore gave Snape the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, even though he knew that if he did so then by the end of the year Snape would no longer be a teacher at Hogwarts. Why put Snape in this position unless Snape's departure was intended from the beginning?
Yeah, that bugs me, too. Rowling said in her interview, though, that Dumbledore is far, far too trusting... and other comments she's made really have me thinking that Snape is just as much of a bastard as he's made out to be.
Spoiler
If there was a plan, Snape may have undermined it, hence Dumbledore's pleading in the end.
I'm still holding out for the Snape-is-good resolution, myself, but I suppose there's nothing left to do but wait and see.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Alynna, how do you reconcile my post above yours? Regarding the pleading?

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Spoiler
I agree that Dumbledore would never beg for his life. I think that, if Snape is indeed evil, Dumbledore was begging for Snape not to break faith with him. I.e.: "Severus... please.... please don't let my trust in you have been in vain. Please don't shatter my belief in you." That, I think, is very much in character for a man like Dumbledore. You can see how touched he is by Harry's faith in and loyalty to him (Books 2 and 6 - Harry calling Fawkes and Harry being "Dumbledore's Man"). Loyalty and trust mean a lot to him, and for someone to betray him like that, especially after so many years of apparently faithful service, would be a terrible blow.

theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

i still think that Snape looked inside DD's mind, saw that he was already dead(from drinking the potion to get the horcrux) and they both decided to use it to their advantage, 'cementing' Snapes position with voldemort...all those years in DD's service at the school, now its time for him to serve on the other side, when its most crucial...
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”