Lord Foul's Name

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

no actually the topic is LF's name .. and you have raised some excellent points .. and I had forgotten 'a-Jeroth' .. and particularly useful is the focus on the fact that Foul was indeed a Lord

.. 'a Lord .. most foul'!! :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Here's my entry from page 1 of this topic:

Post by danlo »

I did a bunch of research in LFB but could nowhere find any other name 4 Lord Foul during the time he served with and befriended Kevin. When Mhoram talks about Foul revealing "his true self" 2 Kevin on Kiril Threndor he simply refers 2 him as Lord Foul. As some1 above has suggested perhaps that was his name and that Foul was just as inocquious a name in the Land as Osendrea or Variol. Another possibility is that Foul being so dam evil his name (as a Lord) was simply banished 4ever. But he is remembered as a Lord--hmmm...going back 2 the time of Kevin--they say that Foul wore (or was hiding in) the guise of truth. He must have had 2 swear "The Oath of Peace" and was poking about while Kevin's Wards were being created. Possibly Kevin was 2 busy or 2 charmed 2 notice Foul's true nature, but he did create the Wards because he previeced evil was near (or approaching). Hell what really could have fooled Kevin was that lormilliador did not reject him--it indicated the Foul got rid rid of the high-wood very quickly--or it was lost soon after tho...
-----I think the name u're refering 2 in the 2nd Chrons is the vague reference 2 Foul that many use 4 him w/o really knowing who or what he is: a-Jeroth of the Seven Hells--@least that's how the Clave refers 2 him. Many different folk had different names 4 Lord Foul:
"To the Lords of Revelstone I am Foul the Despiser; to the Giants of Seareach, Satansheart and Soulcrusher, The Ramen name me Fangthane, In the dreams of the Bloodguard, I am Corruption. But the people of the Land call me Gray Slayer."
fall far and well Pilots!
Tohrm
Ramen

Post by Tohrm »

It would be quite interesting if SRD has LF traipsing around the land in human form in the 3rd chrons., using his original, unspoken name.
But it might be that SRD is using the reasoning that is used in the circles of the occult world that ones real name is never used. If it is discovered, then the one who has discovered it has a certain form of power over that being. Such as the power of summoning, controlling, or banishing. Yes, when I was younger I did some 'looking into' the occult. I did not like a number of things I read about. So at that time I turned my back on that world forevermore.
This might be stretching things a bit, but perhaps LF also was afraid to use his true name for that very reason, and the high lords realised that it was just an alias. Therefore not important enough to mention.
The dead are dead-only the living may hope to resist Despite
Bannor
Giantfriend

Knowing Someone's Real Name

Post by Bannor »

I know it's a staple of fantasy: knowing someone's name gives one power over the person, but it's so true in teaching. If a group of children get into some mischief; see the teacher; and attempt to run away, the teacher can say, "Stop!" but many times the students will say that they did not know the teacher was speaking to them (a very common defense). But if a teacher calls one or two by name, then it's all over. Now, that's power! (Please don't ask what happens when the teacher calls the wrong name: see the earlier defense!) :roll:
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

I thought it kinda trite as well..Drool AND Foul

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

Almost turned me off the series, it did, till I got inta it. What I like is the ravers' names, all 30 or however many they have :lol: . Incidentally, it's also cool that the word "raver" now means "one who attends raves" so you see stuff sprayed on buildings like "Ravers Suck!" and "Just Say NO to Ravers". My friend has letters stuck on her dashboard spelling out, "Raving is not a crime". I think that's really funny, although Jehannum the Raver is probably a greater evil than Stephanie the rave-goer. Maybe. I also like the Land-habit of tacking on an extra letter to your name and giving it to your kid, Lena/Elena etc.
Oh well, enough rambling...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
danlo
Lord

ROTFL!!

Post by danlo »

I love it FMI!!! Good 2 c u back! :D
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re:

*bows sarcastically
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

In LFB, Tamarantha Variol-mate explains to TC:
For the very Law of Time, the principle of power which made the arch possible, worked to preserve Lord Foul, as we call him now.
From re-reading LFB, I have come to gather that before the Ritual of Desecration, not only was the lore of the Land stronger (much of it was lost after the Ritual) but the language was also different. Hence, LF was not called LF.
The King has one more move.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Why did the Bloodguard/Haruchai call the Despiser Corruption before he actually corrupted him?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I would suspect they noticed his tendency to corrupt everything he touches even before he got to them. The Bloodguard were centuries old, and had probably seen a lot of corruption at Foul's hands...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'd have 2 reasearch it--but didn't it have something 2 do w/Kevin sending the Bloodguard off during the Ritual of Desecration--I can't remember if it in any way "corrupted" their Vow, but it def confused and upset them...
Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

Excellent research, Caamora!
For the very Law of Time, the principle of power which made the arch possible, worked to preserve Lord Foul, as we call him now.
That is the best proof that I've seen as to why the Lords weren't suspicious when Lord Foul was introduced. Would love to have known his original name (before Foul). :?
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Bannor -

I think I may have mentioned this above, but from what I gather, before the Ritual of Desecration, the people of the Land spoke a whole other language. I had forgotten but in LFB, all the people of the Land speak of the time before the Desecration and the present time. Much was lost i.e., marrowmeld sculpture (I don't have my book in front of me or I would be more specific with quotes and such!) :D
The King has one more move.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

It's possible. In TPTP it mentions the Despiser speaking another language. The Loresraat had to have known the language to decipher the Wards of Kevin's Lore.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

yes, they spoke a different language, as the Lorewardens had to translate and interpret the Wards
which poses another problem with the languages (the first one being, of course, how in hellfire could TC understand the language of the Land in the first place): the Bloodguard. They were ther all the time, didn't they? were pretty good pals with Kevin & Co.? so why on Erath couldn't they translate the Wards for the Lords? They mudt have spoken both languages
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I'm not sure. Wouldn't it help protect the Lords? They probably knew where all 7 Wards were if they knew about the Power of Command.
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

The Bloodguard viewed knowledge as a weapon and therefore likely to turn on the user...so they wouldn't have liked translating and/or pointing out the seven wards much, if they could be forced to do it without some sort of verbal dodging reminiscent of Amok...who is, BTW, verrry cool.
And....could it be possible?...Maybe SRD didn't think about that! Heehee, novel idea, huh?
TC to Bannor, LFB
Grimm
Stonedownor

Post by Grimm »

The original Council Of Lords didn't have the Oath Of Peace. That was something belonging entirely to the new Lords.
( not trying to be nasty, just want to keep the record straight ) 8)

Grimm 8
"Well, jynnan tonnyx all around then."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well it's probably me u r calling on the OofP--I never meant 2 imply that the originals had an Oath of Peace--I should have been clearer. It occurs 2 me that despite his madness--or desperation Kevin was a pretty enlightened guy--espeacially in forming the Vow. If that's not a primo xample of avoiding conflict, I don't kno what is! I think along w/forming the Wards the rudiments of the Oath of Peace were taking shape at that time...I'll have 2 reseach the origins of OofP more thoroughly. Mayb even go back 2 the KW archives--there's a very cool disscussion of the OofP hidden in those back annuls.
Grimm
Stonedownor

Post by Grimm »

(* spoiler alert - First Chronicles *)

I believe the Oath Of Peace was written by the new Lords as a way of avoiding a second Desecration, and had nothing to do with the old Lords.

(read on at your own risk ...)

I also believe that the Oath itself is what prevented the understanding of Kevins Lore.

Grimm
"Well, jynnan tonnyx all around then."

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”