BEER

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Stout night at the Jailhouse was awesome!

There were some stouts I didnt care for there...but there were a couple that were incredibly good.

Thieves in Law from last year... not for sale this year... really good.
Last Request 2015 is available for a while... is a RIS Barrel aged. It had just enough of the bourbon to it but not so much it was overpowering. I really enjoyed this beer.

While on my mission trip to China, one of the friends I made is doing a trade with me for some Wisconsin beers for some beers from Ga. Cant wait for that care package to get here!!!

Im heading to Cincinnati for the weekend. I may see if I can find some Rhinegiest stouts while Im there.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ballast Point just recently started distributing to KY. I've been reading about their Sculpin IPA for years. I think it used to be the #1 rated IPA on Ratebeer.com, before being pushed down to #10 by newer competition. Anyway, it's phenomenal. It tastes like a "smaller" (lower alcohol) version of Stone's Enjoy By IPA, which really surprised me because I consider that one a "modern" IIPA with totally a new flavor profile, at least when it came out. Now I can see how it was anticipated by the classic, Sculpin. Maybe I need to try them side by side to bring out the differences.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I will have to look for some of these beers as well!!

In my beer trade with someone in Wisconsin I am getting

Hinterland 20th anniversary RIS
New Glarus Scream
Asylum Bedlam
Asylum Demento
OSO brewing Lupulin maximus
OSO brewing hop whoopin
Central Brewing Satin Solitude
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Bought a NXS from Stone brewing and Sierra Nevada. I plan to drink it tonight. Looking forward to it!!!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

SoulBiter wrote:Bought a NXS from Stone brewing and Sierra Nevada. I plan to drink it tonight. Looking forward to it!!!
If you see this beer...buy it. Outstanding IPA!!!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

SoulBiter wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:Bought a NXS from Stone brewing and Sierra Nevada. I plan to drink it tonight. Looking forward to it!!!
If you see this beer...buy it. Outstanding IPA!!!
. Stone has great beers. Another one today. Sorry Not Sorry. Absolutely great!!!!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Im in Grove City, Oh this week. Very close to Columbus. I stopped at a place called Hopyard 62. I did have some Rhinegeist CafeInk which was outstanding. Malty, but nice roast/coffee flavors.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Guinness Draught in a bottle tonight. two, maybe three of them.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The local brewery here has put out a limited edition "barleywine' beer. It was surprisingly good albeit a bit sweet but not overly so. My wife didn't think it was sweet at all but I could taste the sweetness of the malts.

I picked up a Lagunitas Cappuchino Stout last week for $4 for a 22oz bomber. It was absolutely good!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

My wife had some spare time waiting on an appointment and there was a craft beer store close by so she dropped in and picked me up a few beers. here is one that she got me that I am itching to try.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I drank a 6er of those. Pretty good. I was hoping for something closer to their 13th Ann. ale, but this was good, too. Some of these new flavors (hops, malt, etc.) take a little getting used to. The malt they used was a little strange to me, a little too forward in the flavor.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

That was pretty much where I landed. It was a bit dry and bitter on the end, leaving a poor after-taste for me. It was a good beer but I had my expectations up and it didnt measure to those. I would not avoid buying these but I wouldnt go out of my way to do so
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Here is the next one I have in the fridge. It rates very well on all the sites and Stones collaboration beers have not let me down yet. This one is a collaboration between Stone, Ecliptic brewing and Wicked Points brewing.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I haven't had that one. Last night I had 3 of the "Enjoy By IPA." The one for 4/20/16.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

So what did you think of those that you had?

I pretty much aligned with what you said on the Red IPA. A bit too bitter dry with a sour aftertaste. It wasnt horrible but I wouldnt buy it again.

On the Points Unknown... Really good. It poured a deep murky amber and had the smell of fruit hops. The taste was of fruit slightly over-ripe especially mango and some hints of caramel and wood. It finishes fruity bitter from the hops Good carbonation all the way through. The taste was more pronounced as it warmed to 55 degrees.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I liked the Points Unknown enough to buy another. I'm enjoying one right now :beer:
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The Enjoy By ... ipa is probably my favorite beer. I'm enjoy one right now. When I was homebrewing more, the 4/20/xx bottles were always the ones to save for my own brew because, well, you know. :bounce03:
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Stone is currently releasing beers from its past to commemorate its 20th anniversary. The 6th Anniversary Porter re-release is one that any Stone fan should not miss. I missed it back in 2004 when I first started drinking Stone. Arrogant Bastard was the first craft brew that made me go, 'wow, I bet this is what Hobbit ale tasted like.' [Now that I know more about beer, I realize that Hobbits probably brewed more British-y styles. AB is a purely American example of excess.]

Anyway, I missed out on the 2002 6th Anniversary Porter by three years. By then it was legendary. [4.03 rating on Ratebeer.com]. I've always wanted to try it. Now, in 2016, I can! In fact, I just did! It's awesome! I think it's basically their excellent smoked porter ramped up to 8% ... an imperial porter. I was blown away. I can't believe this is not something they make all the time. Wonderful.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Zarathustra wrote:Stone is currently releasing beers from its past to commemorate its 20th anniversary. The 6th Anniversary Porter re-release is one that any Stone fan should not miss. I missed it back in 2004 when I first started drinking Stone. Arrogant Bastard was the first craft brew that made me go, 'wow, I bet this is what Hobbit ale tasted like.' [Now that I know more about beer, I realize that Hobbits probably brewed more British-y styles. AB is a purely American example of excess.]

Anyway, I missed out on the 2002 6th Anniversary Porter by three years. By then it was legendary. [4.03 rating on Ratebeer.com]. I've always wanted to try it. Now, in 2016, I can! In fact, I just did! It's awesome! I think it's basically their excellent smoked porter ramped up to 8% ... an imperial porter. I was blown away. I can't believe this is not something they make all the time. Wonderful.
Thats awesome!!! Im going to be in San Diego in a few weeks on vacation. I will definitely be stopping by Stone Brewing while Im there!!

I had another one of there beers the other day, "Arrogant Bastard'. Another good unique tasting beer. I really like the way they are stretching out on what they brew.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Arrogant Bastard started off as a mistake. They wrote the calculations wrong and added too much malt and hops. But after tasting it, they loved it. This was back in the early 2000s, when people were much less open to aggressive flavors. Stone flaunted their aggressiveness with one of the most successful marketing campaigns in craft brewing. AB is legendary not just for its taste, but for it unabashed arrogance, daring people right on the label not to like it.

AB helped define the 'imperial red ale' category, although technically I think it's called an American Strong Ale, but that's a generic category that includes quite a bit.

Return to “The Galley”