Dread Poet Jethro wrote:
Furls Fire wrote:I could just quit...
That sounds nothing like
The Furls we all know and love
Not gonna happen

SomeFather may not
Like the idea of a break...
Take the time you need
See what happens when you take it upon yourself to tell players what they can and cannot do in my game? You just can't hold it together, eh? You lose the rhythm. Can't count. Watch yourself, sonny.
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Odin wrote:
Dread Poet Jethro wrote:
That sounds nothing like
Not gonna happen

SomeFather may not
Take the time you need
See what happens when you take it upon yourself to tell players what they can and cannot do in my game? You just can't hold it together, eh? You lose the rhythm. Can't count. Watch yourself, sonny.
ah...
that probably depends on where one hails from.
The word "idea" has only two syllables here...
...it is sort of a dipthong,
but it is only two syllables.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Odude wrote:But, since the Strength and lightning are in the domain, they are stronger than a generic, anti-divine SoP.
Can you create a SoP targeted for a specific domain? For instance, a Shield of Protection vs Mutation?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

While I truly do
Appreciate Love's defense
SomeFather is right

Pronunciation
That was sloppy caused errors
In syllable count

The offending verse
Has undergone revision
And I am blushing
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

What?!!?? Mutation?!!! Why?? What have you heard??!

:lol:

There will certainly be cases where one domain can have such a spell specifically against another. I expect Nature would be able to counter Mutation. Mutation is a part of Nature, eh? But Weather would have a more difficult time of it.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

Menolly wrote:ah...
Yes, it can be confusing on Earth. Not so on Narie. All inhabitants have always considered it three syllables.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Odin wrote:
Dread Poet Jethro wrote:
That sounds nothing like
Not gonna happen

SomeFather may not
Take the time you need
Uh huh...

You're lucky you didn't use my full name like my brother did to me a couple of days ago. You don't want to know what I did to him for that :twisted:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Erd
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Erd »

Odin wrote:
Menolly wrote:ah...
Yes, it can be confusing on Earth. Not so on Narie. All inhabitants have always considered it three syllables.
And in all my travels across this great country of mine... the North American one, anyway... I've noticed that the ones would would pronounce "idea" as only two syllables are also the ones in the historically less well educated areas. I won't say stupider, since that would be wrong, even if it's the impression I get when I first meat a southerner... I'm usually surprised later when the person displays serious smarts... but the accent REALLY just puts them into that category for me. I'll get over this misconception eventually. But, they're certainly more sloppy with their pronounciation and word use.

Oddly enough, my name is two syllables... but in the south, sometimes people will say it as three. California would sometimes say it as one. Go figure.

(Yes, that was a very long-winded dig at Pam, since she's a floridian and talks funny.)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Erd wrote:(Yes, that was a very long-winded dig at Pam, since she's a floridian and talks funny.)
:|

You have yet to hear me speak...
But I guess Odin could verify if I talk funny.

Besides, "i-dear" is more from my Longuyland childhood, than the "i-dyuh" I hear here in Florida. So, two syllables for idea, both hee-yuh and up north. ;)
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Since Erd thinks me dumb
Is a dipthong something like
A skimpy swimsuit?

I'm kidding, of course
I do have *some* book-learning
Despite my hick name
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Hey its nice to see new faces among us here in the world of Aesir ;) Welcome aboard .
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Erd
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Erd »

Dread Poet Jethro wrote:Since Erd thinks me dumb
Is a dipthong something like
A skimpy swimsuit?

I'm kidding, of course
I do have *some* book-learning
Despite my hick name
Hey now. I was saying PAM was dumb. (with nothing but love, of course). You admitted it was a counting error...she was trying to justify it anyway.

Also, I'm not sure I'd claim Long Island as an accent, when trying to give the impression of NOT sounding dumb. (again, I'm talking perception, not actual dummitude)
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

Erd wrote:And in all my travels across this great country of mine... the North American one, anyway... I've noticed that the ones would would pronounce "idea" as only two syllables are also the ones in the historically less well educated areas. I won't say stupider, since that would be wrong, even if it's the impression I get when I first meat a southerner... I'm usually surprised later when the person displays serious smarts... but the accent REALLY just puts them into that category for me. I'll get over this misconception eventually. But, they're certainly more sloppy with their pronounciation and word use.
I wonder how many southerners know the correct spelling of pronunciation... :lol:

Anyway, they aren't more sloppy with their pronunciation and word use. They pronounce things differently, and they have different ways of using words. And I don't mean different from the correct way; I mean different from the way you and I do things. There are many different dialects of English here in America. (And that sentence will surely get maaaaaaaaaaaany laughs from the Watchers in England.) All are correct. They can all express anything the speaker needs to express.

Language changes. Perfection is not stagnation.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Erd
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Erd »

Anyway, they aren't more sloppy with their pronunciation and word use. They pronounce things differently, and they have different ways of using words. And I don't mean different from the correct way; I mean different from the way you and I do things. There are many different dialects of English here in America. (And that sentence will surely get maaaaaaaaaaaany laughs from the Watchers in England.) All are correct. They can all express anything the speaker needs to express.

All right fair enough, SomeFather. I was just trying to take a cheap shot at Pam, not actually make a real point. Aside from the point that *I* personally have to get over the misconception that southern accent = stupid. I lived in various parts of the south for the last 17 years, up until a couple months ago. But it's kind of interesting how the stereotype persists in spite of our Reason.
Erd
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Erd »

All right fair enough, SomeFather. I was just trying to take a cheap shot at Pam, not actually make a real point. Aside from the point that *I* personally have to get over the misconception that southern accent = stupid. I lived in various parts of the south for the last 17 years, up until a couple months ago. But it's kind of interesting how the stereotype persists in spite of our Reason.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Erd. Best avatar ever.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

Yo, taking cheap shots at Pam is all well and good. The expensive ones are fun too! :D

As for the attitude toward southern accents, I know how you feel. All through our childhoods up here, the only time we hear that accent is when someone is being portrayed as stupid on tv. Even now, The Amanda Show has the the hillbilly brother and sister telling knock-knock jokes that are funny because they don't make sense.
"Knock knock."
"Who's there?"
"Skunk."
"Skunk who?"
"I'm gonna hit you in the head with a skunk." *hits him in the head with a skunk*

You and I both know Jeff Foxworthy's jokes aren't a true reflection of the south, even if our early conditioning tells us that they just might be. Heh.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Odin wrote:Yo, taking cheap shots at Pam is all well and good. The expensive ones are fun too! :D
...oy vey... :roll:
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

I put the map of the new continent on the Game thread. Just below the other map at the beginning of the first post.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Please forgive me, SomeFather. Until I have eye surgery for the cataracts that are forming, some things which may be obvious to others are difficult for me to make out.

Is the new continent called "Troon?"
Could you explain the different geographical areas a little?
My guess would be the shoreline and quite a distance within is desert, but I have no idea what the dark region within the mountain range could be, as well as the glowing area.
It looks fascinating.

Return to “Aesir & Vanir”