How do you feel today?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Me too, Jenn.
I know you would have really enjoyed the van.

The school board has released their news regarding the Cambridge Scholars for this year. Now to see if the Sun decides to pick it up.
in [url=www2.sbac.edu/~wpops/spotlights/09-GHSCambridge.html]Gainesville High Students Claim Big Share of National Awards[/url] the School Board of Alachua County wrote:
That's my boy! The geeky one in yellow in the middle
of the back row...

One in ten of the nation’s top performers on a rigorous college level examination is from Gainesville High School.

Thirty-nine current and just-graduated GHS students have been named winners of Cambridge Scholar Awards, which recognize the exceptional performance of students on the Cambridge International Examinations.

The awards were recently announced by the University of Cambridge International Examinations (UCIE) organization, which is a part of the prestigious University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. Only 368 students in the U.S. earned the awards this year, meaning GHS captured 11% of the awards given out nationwide.

“Congratulations to the students at Gainesville High School for earning 39 of these scholar awards,” wrote CIE representative Sherry Reach in an e-mail message to Bunnie James, GHS’ Cambridge coordinator. “Your faculty and staff are also to be commended.”

The number of award winners at Gainesville High is up dramatically from six students in 2008. That was the year the school graduated the first set of students who had spent all four years in the challenging Cambridge program.

Coordinator Bunnie James says the program continues to grow, with more courses being added and a record number of students.

“The number of highly motivated and intellectually talented students joining the Cambridge program each year has continued to increase,” she said. “The class entering this year was the largest yet, with close to one hundred students.”

The Cambridge program offers students the opportunity to take rigorous courses and exams to receive college credit and advanced standing at colleges and universities. To earn the Cambridge Scholar Awards, the students earned high scores on the Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) exams that were given in June.

“Our students graduate from GHS with extensive knowledge and application skills, a highly developed ability to communicate, and advanced academic preparation that will enable them to be extremely successful in college and in the workplace,” said James.

“Gainesville High can be very proud of this achievement,” said Superintendent Dan Boyd. “Clearly the school is providing an outstanding education that’s preparing these top students for success in college.”

Current GHS students who won the Cambridge Scholar Awards include: [list of students, including Beorn]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

For some reason I'm in a great mood right now. Probably just some way of venting energy after the boredom and tiredness of office work.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

So, the memo just came out (you heard it here first!) that our firm is reinstating the sabbatical program for 2010. Two months' paid leave, here I come! :bwave: :letsparty:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

w00t!
Nice to start hearing some good news, mixed among the not so great.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yup, we like good news! And btw, Menolly, congrats to Beorn once again on his many academic achievements this year. 8)

So now that I'm posting from home, I feel more comfortable saying that the memo about sabbaticals was a good news/bad news kind of thing. Yes, sabbaticals are back, but we will no longer accrue leave while we're on sabbatical -- so yeah, I get two months off, but I lose a week of my regular PTO (which is usually 6 weeks' worth, so it's not really something to whine about, but still). They're also limiting people to two sabbaticals total, and lengthening the eligibility time between them to 10 years (it used to be 10 years to the first one and 7 years thereafter, for however many years you stayed with the firm -- some people have had 3 or 4 sabbaticals 8O).

*And* no merit raises in 2010. *But* we'll get the profit-sharing bonus.

So I kind of have mixed feelings about it all.
Spoiler
I was planning to be out of there before I would be eligible for my next raise anyhow. But I was sort of figuring on saving that week of PTO I'd earn while on sabbatical and have them pay me for it when I left. Oh well, guess you can't have everything.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I am really really annoyed right now. I drove around for forty minutes looking for parking for the van and and the street parking is full up because there is a popular show at the music hall down the street. I finally gave up and decided to let the rip off artists at the parking garage on Geary stick it to me one more time. They usually charge me extra because of the size of the van. Tonight they stuck it to me for five more dollars than usual which means thirty bucks to park the stinking van overnight. I was tired enough of looking for parking so I let them bend me over and I walked out of the garage and not twenty effing feet out the door an effing FREE parking until nine am spot that was plenty big enough opened up RIGHT in front of me. I don't know what I did to piss off the parking dieties but whatever it was I'm sorry and I wish they would smile on me again. Perhaps paying the thirty bucks will be atonement enough.

On other notes, it was another fun day at work. I did several big printing projects and learned a few new tricks of the trade. I had fun joking with the crew again. I took a fabulous cell phone picture of Ceasar sleeping in the break room which made him crack up. Except for the parking fiasco it was an overall good day.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

you said effin, twice ! So now I feel justified, Ive been up since 3'o effin AM with my 2 3month old baby girls (twins) who have forgotten how to go to effin sleep.
Wide Eyed Stupid
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

We're getting our first snowfall today. 8) Decided to skip my final Czech class of the semester in case the roads got bad on the way home. So I was just rolling out of bed at 9am when I got an e-mail from work, asking me to book travel to India for four new members of the team. I just finished up about 20 minutes ago. 8O So much for a relaxing day at home. OTOH, I got to put off the housecleaning.... :biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It's your first snow fall, too? What are the odds! :P

It's a shame, this marks the day that I can no longer wear sandals...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Cameraman Jenn wrote: They usually charge me extra because of the size of the van. Tonight they stuck it to me for five more dollars than usual which means thirty bucks to park the stinking van overnight. .
Yeah, they do it in the Bronx also. Every time the Yankees are in town the parking fee goes from 10 bucks to 50 bucks for 6 hours. There should be a law........maybe there is.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Yes, Parking slum lords suck. Got the Motobecane Mobylette running today. She runs like a freaking dream. So smooth so amazing. I love her. The Puch on the other hand is bogging down again and when consulting with the moped store guys they said the engine seals are leaking so it meant a tear down and reseal of the engine and transmission. So it began. Puch is all apart and in pieces lined up on a table. We can rebuild it. We will make it better than it was before. I will post some pics up in the album. I'm a little jealous of how good the Motobecane is running but at the same time I am happy for the joy of rebuilding the engine on the Puch. I will know every single millimeter of that baby before i am done. I have grease under my fingernails and I smell of two stroke fuel oil mix. It makes me feel sexy.

Back to the Motobecane, to give an example of how great the Motobecane is running, Bloodguard Bob gave me a ride home double on the moped. It took both our weight uphill with no issues. THis is good because, Sorus and Lucimay, you can join the moped gang without having to own one, you just get to ride with BB. He's quite a safe driver too.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You guys will need leather jackets, Jenn. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I've actually been wearing a high school letterman jacket that we got for Raised by Crows. It says West Valley High on it and it's blue with white sleeves and orange accents. I'm the coolest 41 year old dork that ever existed with my letterman jacket and my bright blue moped. :P OH WAIT!!! I think I'm having my MID LIFE CRISIS!!!! OH NO! I am the FEMALE version of those fifty something year old guys who wear zoot suits and drive late seventies Pontiac Firebirds or Corvette Stingrays!!! ONLY they have like 500 horsepower and I have like.... 2. Someone shoot me now before I become that old lady with fifty chihuahuas pushing a shopping cart around and talking to the voices in my head. I'm DOOMED!

Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

haha, West Valley High, huh? I run an afterschool program at a school called Happy Valley Elementary. After the kids graduate there, they go onto West Valley High down the street. How funny. I wonder if it's from there or from a different HS.
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

:evil: grrrrrrrrrrrr. Today I just don't wanna!!!!! :evil:
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Seareach wrote::evil: grrrrrrrrrrrr. Today I just don't wanna!!!!! :evil:
If it's something to do with Monday morning, I'm right with you there. :crazy:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Jenn, you could *never* have 50 chihuahuas. Moose would be too jealous. So you're safe.

Kaydene -- where else but in California could you find a school called Happy Valley Elementary? :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

Haha, it's true. Happy Fun Shiny Times. :-P
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Menolly wrote:w00t!
Menolly

love that new avatar!!!
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

lorin wrote:
Menolly wrote:w00t!
Menolly

love that new avatar!!!
Thank you, lorin. :)
Of course, I didn't create the image.
But I love how it looks with the "Love and Light" added.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”