Westerns

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

Concur with Elfgirl et al. about Josey Wales... my fave to watch (seen it probably 50 times) although perhaps not the quintessential genre movie. Sort of a Western buddy movie with believable characters (Josey and the Chief). The best ever has to go to Good, Bad, and Ugly. Not only a great Western, one of the greatest movies of all time. The graveyard scene ("ecstatsy of the gold") and the final showdown are unsurpassed. But then again, I am a fan of opera, so I'm biased.

I actually like some of the older westerns with Jimmy Stuart -- Winchester '76 and My Darlin' Clementine. He could play heavy with the best of them, really surprising considering his normal decent-everyman persona.
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids. ~Gen. Jack D. Ripper
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

danlo wrote:I prefer For a Few Dollars More...
That's next on my list to watch.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

dlbpharmd wrote:Finally watched "A Fistful of Dollars." Frankly, I don't see what's supposed to be so great about it.
Blasphemy! :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Cail and I rock. That is all.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Indeed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

You two are nerds.

Nerds I say.

MACHO NERDS? Perhaps...but nerds nonetheless!

Heh. =)
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

dlbpharmd wrote:Finally watched "A Fistful of Dollars." Frankly, I don't see what's supposed to be so great about it.
It's a scene-for-scene rip-off--er, adaptation--of Yojimbo.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I just read through 5 pages and didn't see 'The life and times of Judge Roy Bean'

Saw it in the '70s and haven't seen it since. Now I have to buy the dvd and see if it's as awesome and funny as I remember...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Two Mules for Sister Sara!

One of the funniest westerns ever!!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

With few exceptions, Westerns are just not watchable unless they have Clint Eastwood starring in them.

The top three ever are The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly; Pale Rider; Unforgiven.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Dromond wrote:I just read through 5 pages and didn't see 'The life and times of Judge Roy Bean'
YESSSSSS!! :biggrin: 8)

(directed by john houston!!)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Montressor wrote:With few exceptions, Westerns are just not watchable unless they have Clint Eastwood starring in them.

The top three ever are The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly; Pale Rider; Unforgiven.
Looks like Montressor and I can at last agree on something. :)
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Matrixman wrote:
Looks like Montressor and I can at last agree on something. :)
Yes. :)

But everybody loves Clint. Unless they have a chemical imbalance in their brain. The only man who can possibly rival Toshiro Mifune for cool-factor.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Montressor wrote:But everybody loves Clint. Unless they have a chemical imbalance in their brain. The only man who can possibly rival Toshiro Mifune for cool-factor.
I'm speechless with total agreement! :faint:

In other news: a Western-themed version of Cats has been planned by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
an Carraig
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by an Carraig »

Lord Foul wrote:
Montressor wrote:But everybody loves Clint. Unless they have a chemical imbalance in their brain. The only man who can possibly rival Toshiro Mifune for cool-factor.
I'm speechless with total agreement! :faint:
me too. 8)
Lord Foul wrote:In other news: a Western-themed version of Cats has been planned by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff
Runs for years and years and years
An earthquake hits the theater
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lid comes down
And breaks his f***ing fingers
It's a miracle

~roger waters~

:lol:
crime pays the rock
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

an Carraig wrote:
We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff
Runs for years and years and years
An earthquake hits the theater
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lid comes down
And breaks his f***ing fingers
It's a miracle

~roger waters~

:lol:
:thumbsup:

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

danlo wrote:You need to watch the Hi-Lo Country one of these days...thou I'm not even sure it's on DVD, pity...
I just caught this on The Sundance Channel.

Really strong movie. Not an action flick, but a slow, tragic love story/western. Excellent movie.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

"He hit me in the head with a bottle"

One of the best films ever made, and all New Mexico...my former EA is one of the Hispanic ladies dancing in the background. I've never met Max Evans but saw him once in the hallways of the Eng. dept at UNM. I love the repetitive theme by Carter Burwell and Ed from Northern Exposure
Spoiler
whizzing on Sam Eliot is priceless
, "I'll slit ya like a lizard!" Gammon and Eliot are consummate cowboys.
fall far and well Pilots!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford yesterday. While not terribly action packed it was beautifully shot (some of the photography being krinkled, kind of musty and sienna, like old Perry photographs) very realistic, almost too realistic. Historically it's quite detailed-by almost too realistic I mean: That there really wasn't a "James Gang" during the time of Frank and Jesse's last train robbery at Blue Cut, MO. They had to raid the countryside and hellholes for scum and Charlie and Robert Ford were some of the most piteous--it' amazing how incredibly stupid some of these rubes were, but they were. Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck do admirable jobs, but there are slow spots and some of the movie should have been cut.
Last edited by danlo on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Skipped around a bit - and found The Shootist on Cail's list (no matter how hard we fight in the 'Tank, I'd do movie night with you in a hot-sh-t-second, Cail. You are a man of great judgment and rare taste). It's one of my faves.

My Daughter, who hates it when I start watching Westerns, recently sat and watched 3:10 to Yuma with me (at my insistence). It's good enough that she's starting to get it.

Now, if I could just get her to watch the Rocky movies with me...
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Flicks”