Serious discrepancy in Fatal Revenant (spoiler)

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

OK, it's time to call a spade a *u**ing shovel. You've put your finger on a gen-you-wine, gosh-all-fishhooks Internal Inconsistency. A gold-plated Authorial Screwup. (I talk about it this way to deflect my chagrin.) But the facts are worse than you've made them out to be. This II (internal inconyougettheidea) is already firmly established in "The Second Chronicles". Findail makes the claims you quote, but the Haruchai state that there were a number of Guardians before Kenaustin Ardenol. Obviously they can't both be right. So I could argue that the Haruchai (being more human) are more likely to be wrong than the Elohim--which undercuts what I've written in "The Last Chronicles". Or I could argue that the Elohim (having a much older grudge against the Insequent) are more likely to lie than the Haruchai. But both arguments are just intellectual tap-dancing: an attempt to obfuscate the existence of a real II. The important facts, as I see them, are these:

1) I didn't do it on purpose. I simply screwed up. At the time, I was juggling so many balls that I dropped (at least) one. To pretend otherwise *now* is a self-serving rationalization.

2) This II exists entirely independent of "The Last Chronicles". It is firmly embedded in "The Second Chronicles," and it will still be there no matter what I do now.

3) I can't fix it. No one is going to let me go back and revise "The Second Chronicles". And I can't think of a way to resolve the contradiction retroactively that a) preserves the integrity of both the Elohim and the Haruchai in TSCOTC, and b) fits my current intentions.

At this point, all I can really do is throw up my hands. So-o-o--

I've decided to do what I believe is right for TLCOTC--and what I now believe I *would* have done in TSCOTC, if I had been smart enough 25 years ago. Admittedly, this exacerbates a prior II. But I choose not to dwell on that nagging detail. Instead I choose to revel in the freedom that comes from ACKNOWLEDGING MY MISTAKES and then leaving them behind. <rueful smile> The future sure looks brighter when it isn't chained to past errors.
Don't forget the paradox of white gold! There is hope in contradiction. :biggrin:
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good to see you around, MrK!
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I have an idea to solve the issue:

We know that the Theomach was someone who was mainly interested in his own glory. Defeating the Guardian would fit well with that, but having to stick around for ever and ever after that not so much. The Theomach would have his glory, but at the cost of everything, including future glory.

We also know the Theomach possessed remarkable arcane powers and knowledge, which may have included the secret of creating thinking beings. Therefore I suggest that the Theomach circumvented the fate of becoming the Guardian and made an artificial ak-Haru simulacrum to take his place. When Berek took a branch from the One Tree, the island had no Guardian - the Elohim had been defeated and no new Guardian had been installed. No one is lying except perhaps the Theomach, who may have used the Guardianship a good excuse to ditch Berek now that his purpose had been accomplished.
Borric
Servant of the Land

Post by Borric »

The Theomach does not defeat the Elohim. He incorporates it into the making of the staff.
That’s a requirement for creating a staff of law?.
Just a guess.

Sorry if this has already been guessed at, I’ve not had chance to read the whole thread.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Cameraman Jenn's October 11th post......I concur!

[Can you please clarify this? mod]
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW

Return to “Fatal Revenant”