NationStates2

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:Menolly - at the moment, I only have 2.8 unsatisfied needs of food a day, if bananas industry increases more than that, maybe i'll be able to sell you some! Unless it changes my sheep from food to clothing.
*snap*

Do you still have a clothing shortage, Stone?
If so, I'd put money on this occurring before I can buy any from you...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Well now...

After deciding to be open with my research finds and having the government instead of private industry fight "plague," I get offered the chance to go nuclear today...
"Going Nuclear"

With The Illumined's latest technological advances, the topic of Nuclear development is again circulating the press. The Beacon brings you the latest debate.

Economist M. Burns comments, "It's a nuclear era and The Illumined needs to go with the wave or be drowned beneath it. Nuclear energy is clean, and nuclear weapons are mean. Let's stay at the forefront of the world's technology."

Forest Folk represtative Rafe Tater responds, "Nuclear energy is only clean until the first melt-down poisons our water and mutates our children. Don't even get me started on the evils of nuclear weaponry. The Illumined needs to send the world a message: Ban nuclear development and save our future!"

Dismiss this issue
My inclination is to turn the energy down and dismiss the weapons. But...

I chose a large world with War, once it's activated. And I can really use a boost to my industries. Having nuclear resources will be awfully nice...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Thanks for going nuclear Menolly - I bought some of that! Unfortunately I didn't have any say in this.....
You consumed 0.61 million units of your own sheep to satisfy clothing. You consumed 2.48 million units of your own sheep to satisfy food.
You consumed 4.09 million units of your own wine to satisfy food.
You consumed 2.09 million units of your own fish to satisfy food.
You consumed 11.19 million units of your own bananas to satisfy food.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:Thanks for going nuclear Menolly - I bought some of that!

8O

You sure did. I only produced 1 million units of enriched uranium, and used .07 for weapons, since my solar and hydro-electricity seems to be supplying my energy needs, and then some. Inis Rua snapped up the rest... :biggrin:

I'm still way behind you in GPD though...
Stonemaybe wrote:Unfortunately I didn't have any say in this.....
You consumed 0.61 million units of your own sheep to satisfy clothing. You consumed 2.48 million units of your own sheep to satisfy food.
...told you...
Menolly wrote:
Stonemaybe wrote:Menolly - at the moment, I only have 2.8 unsatisfied needs of food a day, if bananas industry increases more than that, maybe i'll be able to sell you some! Unless it changes my sheep from food to clothing.
*snap*

Do you still have a clothing shortage, Stone?
If so, I'd put money on this occurring before I can buy any from you...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

highest GDP yet - 7th in the world :biggrin:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:|

Today I decided to go completely against my inclination. I got "Getting around is harder than it used to be" again. Last time I decided to go with the more environmentally sound scooter choice. I could use a boost to my scooter production, but I see you have cars as an industry, Stone, and I assume this issue is how you got them.

While the choice comes right out and says it will harm the environment, I need to do something to improve my GDP. So, "go out and buy an The Illumined built car" it is...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

^ *see above* ^

Ayeup...
Industries

Solar cells: 1.00 million units capacity.
Hydroelectricity: 13.75 million units capacity.
Cars: 1.00 million units capacity.
Fish: 1.00 million units capacity.
Minerals: 4.07 million units capacity.
Sheep: 2.00 million units capacity.
Software: 5.00 million units capacity.
Scooters: 2.00 million units capacity.
Dancing monkeys: 1.00 million units capacity.
Enriched uranium: 1.00 million units capacity.
Cement: 3.17 million units capacity.
However, The Illumined is supposed to be enlightened, if somewhat arrogant about that. So, the way the results are written does distress me, a little...
More cars means more people are getting to work on time at the minor expense of a bit of smog.
First "three-eyed" fish being found; now smog...

*sigh*
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Hmm yes, Inis Rua's lights are a bit brighter, but the air's a bit blacker :? .

Still, now 4th biggest GDP....

I just noticed that a country that I've never had anything to do with has changed their trading status, making Inis Rua a favored partner. Not sure what this'll achieve if i don't reciprocate...

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I had two favored partners I haven't reciprocated with, per the Trading FAQ. So far I've bought items from them, but haven't sold anything to them. My items sell on the World Market instead.

However, prices on the items I have bought and sold to you have seemed to remain pretty consistent with the World Market's I think. So, the Trade FAQ may be misleading regarding that. That may change once the game goes live...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

:biggrin: Having curbed those damn political freedoms, I'm back to benevolent dictatorship, and up to 3rd GDP.

Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Sorry 4 breaking your thread guys but I got the invite to Nationstates 2 today but havent got around to setting it up. Is there anything I should watch out for when setting myself up :?: Any advice on it be great because they mentioned I should check the trade section before starting :?:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

If it's open, come to World 20!!

Otherwise, I believe Syl is on World 7, but I was booted from there myself because it was overfull...

For set-up, create your nation as you want. The only thing I think the FAQ might guide you in is the information that the terrain of your nation may effect your economy, but it doesn't say how.

I'm a mountain terrain, and am having real issues with having enough food for my people. Stone is a river terrain, and his people are well fed. The only food source I started with were sheep, although I managed to add fish and dancing monkeys through issue resolution. I believe Stone started with fish, bananas and wine, and has since added sheep, although I may be mistaken. Finding food seems to be a real issue in the beta so far. I may be mistaken with how many food industries Stone started with, but he definitely did better as a river nation than as a mountain one, I think.

I can't answer regarding the other terrains though.

Everything else can be set after your nation is created. Will we be seeing Cleburneites in NS2?
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Hmmm it's interesting you think I'm a river country, Menolly - that's certinly what I chose when I set it up (thinking it'd be good for trade), but my own description has for some reason always said tropical! (And it may have just spoiled my cheese-producers alliance forum piece about the state of my gourmet culture :( )

As for set up, I had no idea what was coming, so I looked at the political grid which is over in the nationstates.net thread somewhere, chose what form of government I wanted (benevolent dictatorship), and answered the questions accordingly (ie I needed great civil and economic freedoms, very few political freedoms).

It's more complicated than NS1, but at the moment anyway, you can't 'lose', so you need to decide what's important to you. Does reading about people starving in 'your' country bother you? If so, then try to pick issues that will start/grow your food industries. food seems to be the most important of the (can't remember the word - the needs of your population) as when it's short, industries like sheep and wine that are normally used for clothing/medical, change to being used for food. or dancing monkeys from entertainment to food.

Also beware of choosing options to issues that will kickstart 'needs' in your population. of course they'll always need food and clothing and energy, but some options will also start a 'need' for entertainment or materials, and once your country can't produce or buy enough goods to satisfy their needs, then your people suffer in various ways and to various extremes.

Also, I think the 'trade' bit you mention, is to read the trade FAQs, which are confusing until you get a few turns into the game, then fall into place.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

You're tropical, Stone?
How on World 20 did I miss that?
I guess that explains the banana industry though...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

In the Cheese Producers alliance forum, Inis Rua wrote:Perhaps if Illume Eltanin documented here, the deprivations suffered by The Illumined’s gourmets, further trade help would be forthcoming from member of the Cheese Producers’ Alliance?
My thanks for setting The Illumined to "Priority Partner" in trade status Stone. But, "document the deprivations suffered by The Illumined's gourmets?" You're asking me to attempt to get creative again, something I truly am terrible at...

I'll work on it though. I should at least post a public thanks for the trade status in response in the alliance forum as well. But, no promises...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Well, for about the fifth time, I've received "Eureka or the government's eka?" The first time I went with choice #3. The next three times, I went with privatizing. As I said when it came to considering nuclear, I did pick a large world with the option eventually of war...so, I decided this time to invest the research into military. I'll see what happens tomorrow...
Eureka or the government's eka?"

Your well funded government research facilities are starting to bear fruit and have come up with several benefits for the good of the nation. What's still left to decide is, what shall The Illumined do with this new bounty?

"These advancements have incubated well within the research facility, but they've reached a point where they would benefit the public more with the drive and competition of the private sector," comments noted researcher Kerrick Hodge. "A few of us government techies would like to start a software company, 'Lab 72', to create some jobs for citizens and make a little money ourselves."

"Privatize these advancements? Why on earth would we do that?!" questions Colonel S. Anders. "We could transfer a little of this new technology into a great deal of military power and keep this nation safe from our enemies."

This is the position that your nation is preparing to adopt.

"Hey, the people paid for this with their tax dollars so we should all reap the benefits," suggests Ricky S. Tallman. "Open up the knowledge to the public domain and let everyone take whatever they can use."
I also received "Five Year Plan?" today. My intuition says to improve production all around, but my people are still starving. So, investing in bananas it is. I wonder how they'll do in a mountain climate...

At least we'll get to enjoy the dessert I shared in the Cheese Producers alliance forum... ;)
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Cleburne - did you start NS2????????

Menolly - I'd be interested to see how the military option turns out for you. I've had this issue about 4 times in the last week, think I dismissed it first, then chose option 1 each time since. It adds a software industry of about 5 million capacity each time you choose it. (with the happening 'Lab 72 is making an awful lot of money for Inis Rua'. Unfortunately I get the feeling that alot of people are getting this issue alot, as I can only sell about 3 million of my 15 million units software on the world market)

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:Menolly - I'd be interested to see how the military option turns out for you.

*nodding*

I'll post the result, and if anything other than how much is invested in my military section of the economy wheel changes, I'll point it out.
Stonemaybe wrote:I've had this issue about 4 times in the last week, think I dismissed it first, then chose option 1 each time since. It adds a software industry of about 5 million capacity each time you choose it. (with the happening 'Lab 72 is making an awful lot of money for Inis Rua'.

hmm...

My software industry didn't grow that much each time I selected that option, more like 2 million capacity each time. However, software capacity jumped drastically when I finally chose genetic engineering in the sports issue, instead of pushing the kids to train...
Stonemaybe wrote:Unfortunately I get the feeling that alot of people are getting this issue alot, as I can only sell about 3 million of my 15 million units software on the world market)
My only consumable selling on the World Market is cement! My glimmers (citizens) and Inis Rua consume everything else. :twisted:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

hmm...

I am reconsidering my selection of resolutions for both "A Five-Year Plan?" and "Eureka or the government's eka?", as they both have options that looks like will benefit software growth. I am already at 15 million units of software production, and still bought 12 million units of software from Inis Rua. Perhaps selecting the software resolution for both issues would give it a really powerful boost.

...but...

My glimmers are starving so starting banana production is really tempting, and my military spending so far has been a really small part of my overall economy.

...decisions, decisions...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:Menolly - I'd be interested to see how the military option turns out for you.
Well, I stuck with my initial choices, and went with the military and banana options. The results came back worded thusly...
A portion of the nation's researchers have been assigned to military projects with surprisingly effective results.
No new industries were added because of that resolution. But my military budget spending doubled on my economy wheel graph. I guess that's a good thing.

Since I didn't choose the "Lab 72" option, my software production fell by one million units, from 15 million to 14 million. Now I really am curious what would have happened if I had taken the software option in both issues at the same time...

...and...
The Illumined has announced that it intends to actively grow its bananas.
*nodding*

The banana industry has been launched in The Illumined by that resolution. We started at 2 million units productivity. Even with the addition of bananas, our production is 6 million units short to meet our glimmers food needs. And again, I didn't go with either devoting all of our attention to software at the cost of other industries or boosting overall productivity, and software fell. Catch-22, eh?

Return to “Nationstates”