My ultimate to play TC in a film version

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Cable Seadreamer wrote:
Here's a good question... who would do a perfect voice for Lord Foul? My wife suggests Jeremy Irons, but he is pretty big-name.
James Earl Jones. (same voice as Darth Vader) When I read the books and Lord Foul is talking, James Earl Jones is the voice that I 'hear'.

SoulBiter
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
longinus
Servant of the Land

Post by longinus »

Anthony Hopkins as the voice of Lord foul. I think it would suit the character to the ground.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Just read this post, some brilliant suggestions, particularly like JEJ or AH for voice of Foul. As for TC, Willem Defoe would be good, I also though of John Savage and Buscemi had crossed my mind but I thought no, he's too associated with copping out of things rather than having the inner strength to fight on, typecast I believe, but..... what a coup if Pacino was a SRD fan??!!

It's interesting too, to see what other people see. By that I mean we all have a visual inside our heads and a thread like this one and a couple of others on this part of the board, actually shows by example how people have interpreted the characters. I think this is great as it expands the vision I've got, like: "wow never saw THAT before" and subsequent re-reads are opened onto different views, scenes and people.

I have always seen the Haruchai as Black guys (It didn't help that when I first read the books, I had a good mate who was a west indian called Brin!) but an asian look would work for me. I thought there was something in how they were first described, perhaps I'm imagining it, but sort of saw a Denzil Washington type image.

As for size, LOTR showed this is possible and I think a better way to go than the League of Ext. Gents.

The age barrier has to span 20+ years so any actor within the 30 to 50 year old range could get away with it especially with computer enhancement, make-up, prosthetics etc. Also, TC must "wear" a lot of years, getting Leprosy, being shunned by all including your family and becoming a virtual recluse will add a lot of years to a man's face. The number of years between films will be the bigger qualifier methinks!
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Anthony Simcoe would be fabulous for Saltheart Foamfollower, let's sign him up now. Jody Foster, too would be great for Linden.

Really, Denzel Washington as a Haruchai, I certainly never saw that, I saw a much shorter, more stout build?

Stone Downers I have always seen as stout Latin Americans, (or Italians) and also not tall.

Thomas Covenant needs to be guant and thin, Jude Law could be very good, if his acting could convey the character well. I think a beefy guy like Eric Bana or a pretty boy would just be wrong, unless it's a pretty boy who's not aging well.
Cable Seadreamer
Servant of the Land

Post by Cable Seadreamer »

If you look at the illustrations on the cover of "gilden-fire" and "the power that preserves" it shows the haruchai are not black.

Ur-viles are, though.
"Farewell, beloved."
His response came softly, receding along the wind. "There's no need for that. I'm part of you now. You'll always remember."
"I'll be with you as long as you live."
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

I think of American Indians as the perfect fit for the Ramen.

As for the Haruchai...I hate to see them stereotyped as Asian / Oriental just due to the fact of their hand-to-hand combat skills.

I tend to think of the Haruchai as more like a specialized military force, like Navy Seals, Rangers or Green Berets. The ultimate pinnacle of sacrifice to get to their seemingly unattainable skill levels.

The pain that these guys go through, just in training...and then the actual application and dedication to what they do in combat, special ops and behind enemy lines. To me, that is a Vow of Service that is rivalled few, if any, other ways.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Cable Seadreamer wrote:If you look at the illustrations on the cover of "gilden-fire" and "the power that preserves" it shows the haruchai are not black.
As if you can go by book illustrations...I didn't realize TC was a hunchback either!! I always figured the Haruchai as black, or more than likely similar looking to Middle Easteners...they are always decribed as having brown skin. And it's not from the sun, as they live in snowy mountains.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Troy
Servant of the Land

Post by Troy »

Interesting. Because of their mountain heritage, I envisioned Haruchai to be more Sherpa like.

Troy
Stone and Sea are deep in life -
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Thanks Drew, I was sure that I'd read that they had brown or black skin but could not place it without a complete re-read.

Jelerak, no offence mate, but American Indians as Ramen is as much a stereotype as Oriental martial arts experts!

I think in fairness what we imagine and how we see the the characters from a racial and socio-economic perspective would intrigue the psychologists and probably illustrate many aspects of ourselves, not all of which we would see as positive!

I guess it's hard not to overlay stereotypes on the characters in the books we read. Would we see the lords as Shaolin monks? TC or Linden as Latin, Semitic or Black? Ramen as Indonesian or Inuit or Aboriginal? Stonedowners as Mongol or Bantu/ Woodhelvennin as Slavic or Polynesian (might have a job in the trees!)? Basically, I guess we imagine what we see based upon upbringing, experience etc. and that will be a whole lot different from person to person.

Thus the really good thing about this...I hadn't seen the Ramen as American Indians, but I may well do now!!!

How about Gerard Depardieu as Foamfollower?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

American Indians suit the Ramen well in my mind, I pictured similarly.

Haruchai, I have no problem with being African American or a lighter brown skinned ethnicity. I merely objected to Denzel Washington's build.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Avytaya
Stonedownor

Post by Avytaya »

As if you can go by book illustrations...I didn't realize TC was a hunchback either!!
He he, that illustration always bothered me. At first I could tell if it was actually TC or a sandgorgon.
Cable Seadreamer
Servant of the Land

Post by Cable Seadreamer »

While we still refer to african americans as "black", centuries of interbreeding have left the vast majority brown. When i think of black people, i think of the africans who are so black they have a purple tint. Light brown-skinned african americans could work, but I still like orientals. The whole inscrutable oriental thing just goes with the Haruchai's impassivity, and many have a swarthy look to them anyway. Not to mention the martial arts bit. Orientals also age very well, and the bloodguard are technically immortal. We don't need them looking older and older as the movies are put out.

But enough of that, back to casting!

My wife believes that Virginia Hey or Claudia Black could play Linden Avery. Gigi Edgely would make a good Lena. (yep, we are farscape fans)
"Farewell, beloved."
His response came softly, receding along the wind. "There's no need for that. I'm part of you now. You'll always remember."
"I'll be with you as long as you live."
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I'm not so sure about Claudia Black for Linden, But, Virginia Hey sounds appealing, as does Gigi Edgely for Lena. Maybe we could use Claudia Black for Elena though.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Claudia Black would make a very nice Atiaran, imo.

(and I believe they prefer to be called Asians)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
DVSone
Servant of the Land

Post by DVSone »

I thinkn Gabriel Byrne would be a good Covenant. He has the look of a man who has known desperation
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

That could work, and the age difference between 1st and 2nd chrons. wouldn't be a problem to overcome, as he cold be younger than he is, and haggard, without any alteration.

Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

After seeing Lost this fall on ABC, I think Evangeline Lilly would make a good Linden. Lighten her hair a bit, but she fits my mental picture of Linden pretty well otherwise.
LordSlaytan
Servant of the Land

Post by LordSlaytan »

I've always pictured Daniel Day Lewis playing Covenant. Or maybe make The Chronicles Bruce Campbell's crowning achievment.
Bugsy
Servant of the Land

Post by Bugsy »

My three penneth worth

TC: (if age no boundry): Dustin Hoffman
TC (Corrct Age): Colin Firth or Tim Robbins
Saltheart: Brian Blessed
Foul: Al Pacino
Bannor: Harrison Ford
Lena: Kiera Knightly
Drool Rockworm: Jim Carey

Might not be to everyones taste - but i'd watch it
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Ooo. Tim Robbins. Good idea, Bugsy, and welcome to the Watch! :welcome:

MyboyfriendColinFirth a leper?? How dare you!! ;)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”