Star Trek

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I still haven't seen Nemesis. Though I'm not avoiding it, it's not a burning drive, since I haven't been too thrilled with the movies in general.
Don't bother - it's not much better than Insurrection.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Fist and Faith wrote: But I agree that II and VI are the best. Great stuff! And, though Generations in general isn't that big a deal, the effects were amazing. I liked the Stellar Cartography room, and, of course, the crash of the saucer section was beyond belief!! First time seeing it, probably second too, I wanted to yell at the screen, "Stop! Please stop it already! I can't take anymore!!"
Is it me or has anyone else ever noticed that whenever Riker gets behind the wheel (command chair) of the Enterprise... he wrecks it?
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Strategical genius sometimes, incompetent dope other times. Was up wit dat?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Seafoam Understone wrote: Is it me or has anyone else ever noticed that whenever Riker gets behind the wheel (command chair) of the Enterprise... he wrecks it?
Its not you SU, its a statistical fact. :lol:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:
I still haven't seen Nemesis. Though I'm not avoiding it, it's not a burning drive, since I haven't been too thrilled with the movies in general.
Don't bother - it's not much better than Insurrection.
Unfortunately I’m forced to agree with you. Like many people I was expecting a rebound from Insurrection that simply didn’t happen. Historically, Star Trek films tend to descend into mediocrity as often as there is a triumph and the even numbered installments have been the beneficiary of that order since the Wrath of Khan followed The Motion Picture. Nemesis had great promise but ultimately couldn’t deliver on many levels. I have my favorites. Khan, Voyage, Country, Contact are standouts and the abomination that was Star Trek V – The Final Frontier is by far the worst of the bunch.

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Fist and Faith wrote: I liked the Stellar Cartography room, and, of course, the crash of the saucer section was beyond belief!! First time seeing it, probably second too, I wanted to yell at the screen, "Stop! Please stop it already! I can't take anymore!!"
The crash scene in Generations was impressive to be sure. A highlight of the film without question. My biggest complaint with Generations was the death of Captain Kirk. Having my childhood hero squashed like tomato just didn’t sit well with me. His first apparent death aboard the Enterprise B was far more satisfying and appropriate. In my humble opinion of course.
:lol:

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yup, I agree.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I found this galactic Jane Austen site:

hem.passagen.se/anna6810/austen/starwars/galactic.html

It is some TNG (I love Worfs new dress) and some star wars... :lol:
SLATFATF...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Thank you, Ylva -- that really tickled me. 8) :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Collecters of Star trek memorabilia may be interested in this:
www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemID=730768
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I don't like Star Trek. I don't like any sci-fi series.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I've been a Trekker for over thirty years. I own all the original series episodes, all the movies. I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of every series at least once, including the animated one.

However, I would rank the shows in the following order: Original, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. See a pattern here? It's the law of diminishing returns.

And even the latest movie was fairly lame, and seemed to be the actors just going through the motions. And that's difficult for me to admit, because I think Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner are the two finest actors to ever don a Starfleet uniform.

So as much as it pains me to admit it, I wouldn't mind seeing the show hang up its deflector array for a couple seasons and recharge the old warp coils.

Because I think shows like Babylon Five and Firefly demonstrate just how creaky Trek is becoming in the field of tv sf.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Much as it pains me to say this, Roland.....I totally agree with you. I'm in the same boat. I feel about all of the series the same way. I have all of the films. Most of the original series. Some of STNG. I was really hoping Enterprise would have restored my faith in Trek. They promised an exploration into Trek past. I was excited about seeing the often mentioned events of earth and starfleet history, fleshed out in an entertaining way. Now it seems Enterprise has fallen into the "Voyager" trap.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Cromas Tummins wrote: I was excited about seeing the often mentioned events of earth and starfleet history, fleshed out in an entertaining way.
Didn't you learn your lesson from "Phantom Menace"? Some things are best left un-filmed.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Because I think shows like Babylon Five and Firefly demonstrate just how creaky Trek is becoming in the field of tv sf.
I really liked Firefly. So naturally, it was canned.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

MEGATON dAN wrote:
Cromas Tummins wrote: I was excited about seeing the often mentioned events of earth and starfleet history, fleshed out in an entertaining way.
Didn't you learn your lesson from "Phantom Menace"? Some things are best left un-filmed.
I'm hard headed in many ways. I'm such a "fanboy' that I want to see it anyway. :-(

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Good point, Cromas, that Enterprise appears to be falling into the Voyager trap. And I can see no even remotely plausible way to explain why all this enormously momentous events occurring in the Delphic Expanse has never since been mentioned by the Federation or Starfleet . . . unless it's all a parallel timeline (or a Bobby Ewing dream-sequence!). In other words, a lame resolution of the lowest order.

That's the biggest problem with Enterprise for me, anyway. The lack of continuity that this "early" series creates with the later series. For instance, last year's Borg episode - there is no way that I can be convinced that the knowledge gleaned by Archer and crew of this devastating species would have been kept from the Captain of the flagship, Picard, in a later century. We're supposed to believe that Picard learned of the Borg's existence and plan for humanity from Q, when Starfleet and Earth already knew of the situation hundreds of years previously. Yeah, right.

It's this sort of slipshod writing that has really disillusioned me. Anything for a quick exciting plot, at the expense of the overall mythology and larger storylines that have been painstakingly built up over the years in the other series.

Ah, well, I'll beam off my soapbox now. :P
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Again, I can't argue with you Roland. :-)
It has been very frustrating watching Trek continuity go down the tubes with Enterprise. The first half of the first season had some ups and downs that I was willing to forgive. I was happy to see the Andorians. I was happy to witness the weapons transistion. I like Dr. Phlox. I knew what I was getting in to the moment the temporal cold war was announced. We all accept that it was the Enterpise NCC 1701 that was first to travel back in time.
Arrrggghhhhh!!!!
I agree with you. Put the series out to pasture before more damage is done. I've mentioned it before. I'd give the whole Star Trek shooting match over to Niclolas Meyer. Star Trek II demonstrated that he totally gets what the show should be about. IMHO of course. :-)

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

We seem to be on the same wavelength, Cromas. I even agree re: Star Trek II Wrath of Khan. With one exception - I still consider Star Trek IV The Voyage Home the best of the films, with II a close second.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Roland of Gilead wrote:We seem to be on the same wavelength, Cromas. I even agree re: Star Trek II Wrath of Khan. With one exception - I still consider Star Trek IV The Voyage Home the best of the films, with II a close second.
Well, were certainly thinking nearly the same way. My favorites are based on the feeling I got watching the films for the first time. 2 then 4 for the first cast films. As to Trek being run by someone with some common sense, I don't disagree that Nimoy would do a terrific job of re imagining things, but realistically he probably would never accept the assignment. Meyer just might. :-)

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”