Cricket

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Cricket

Post by SleeplessOne »

StevieG wrote:Wow, 4 years since the last post here (which is about the amount of time since Australia won the Ashes :lol: )

So, woo hoo - well done Australia for regaining the Ashes!
it's been very enjoyable Stevie G; I think perhaps some Aussie fans like myself almost became jaded by the success of the Taylor/Waugh and to a lesser extent Ponting eras; the struggles of this Clarke-led side have made this early claiming of the Ashes all the sweeter, it's like a return to the Allan Border days (which is when I first 'seriously' started watching cricket).
The current Australian cricket team has had a few false starts as it tries to rebuild itself as a serious force in International cricket, there have been selection missteps and also opportunities left ungrasped by certain players along the way, but for the time being it's a sweet summer for Australian cricket fans.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Hey SleeplessOne. Yeah, I started in the Border days - when the Windies were on top of the world. Have loved it ever since. I used to know the West Indies line up from the openers right through.

Well, it's a 5-0 whitewash! I personally wouldn't change the team at all going to South Africa. Bailey is probably the only one whose position is in doubt - he missed his chance in the final innings to post a decent score. The rest will be packing their bags I reckon.

Sarge, you're the first American that I've ever heard show an interest :lol: . I guess it would be difficult to attend a match - I assume it's not big in the US.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

yeah I agree Stevie G, not too many changes for the tour to South Africa (which will no doubt bring the Aussies back down to Earth a bit).

As you mentioned/identified, Bailey is the one under most pressure to retain his spot, but I reckon he'll tour.

that leaves probably 4 spots.

Alex Doolan looks like he might be next in line batsman-wise so I reckon he'll make the trip.

James Faulkner was close to selection a couple of times during the Ashes series when injuries to Watson and Harris threatened to force them out of the side - as an all-rounder he'll provide some handy depth.

The other two spots, I'd just be guessing of course; a few people wanna see James Pattinson come back into the squad but personally I'd just as soon have Jackson Bird in.

There's also talk that one of either Phil Hughes or Marcus North might earn a recall.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Looking back, you made some good predictions there SleeplessOne!

The only major thing you got wrong was that the Aussie's weren't brought back to earth, but had an amazing tour! I still wish George Bailey were in the side, but Doolan did a reasonable job. Johnson still on fire, and Ryan Harris was the hero at the end of the 3rd test. David Warner also had an incredible tour.

Looks like South Africa are still at the top of the ICC rankings, but the gap is getting smaller.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Cricket

Post by SleeplessOne »

StevieG wrote:Looking back, you made some good predictions there SleeplessOne!

The only major thing you got wrong was that the Aussie's weren't brought back to earth, but had an amazing tour! I still wish George Bailey were in the side, but Doolan did a reasonable job. Johnson still on fire, and Ryan Harris was the hero at the end of the 3rd test. David Warner also had an incredible tour.

Looks like South Africa are still at the top of the ICC rankings, but the gap is getting smaller.
yup, they really did perform incredibly well StevieG; all the names you mentioned (Johnson, Warner, Harris in the 3rd test) were heroic at times, Warner was pretty bold in his approach both on and off the field :twisted:

will be interesting to see who gets picked for the tour of Pakistan (to be played in the UAE) - will Harris be able to bounce back after his knee surgery; will Chris Rogers retain his spot or will he make way for fresh blood, and even Haddin, who has been in excellent form with both bat (against the Poms) and gloves (against the Poms and Sth Africa - apart from one bad missed stumping), will be under some scrutiny given he'll be rising 37 (I think) by then ...

personally, as a supporter of a Geelong AFL team who snared a 3rd premiership with a team of 'geriatrics', I think sports fans in general tend to write off champions too early based on their advancing years - cricket isn't quite as ruthless in that regard compared to AFL, but Rogers and Haddin's names will surely be discussed by the selectors by virtue of their respective ages - I think they will both hang onto their spots though.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Absolutely - I think that cricketers have enjoyed longer careers over the last decade or so as the training regime has been more professional. But that doesn't necessarily mean they won't look at Haddin and a couple of the other more "mature" players. I think Rogers could be under scrutiny, but maybe has done just enough to retain his spot.

How long does it take to recover from surgery? The Pakistan test is in October? I guess Harris could possible be available.

Oh and between you and me, Warner seems a little, ah, lacking in diplomacy
Spoiler
or perhaps intelligence
:D He's obviously a great player, but he does have the word "Warne" in his surname!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Cricket

Post by SleeplessOne »

StevieG wrote:Absolutely - I think that cricketers have enjoyed longer careers over the last decade or so as the training regime has been more professional. But that doesn't necessarily mean they won't look at Haddin and a couple of the other more "mature" players. I think Rogers could be under scrutiny, but maybe has done just enough to retain his spot.

How long does it take to recover from surgery? The Pakistan test is in October? I guess Harris could possible be available.

Oh and between you and me, Warner seems a little, ah, lacking in diplomacy
Spoiler
or perhaps intelligence
:D He's obviously a great player, but he does have the word "Warne" in his surname!
really not sure how long Harris' rehab will take, but he is a real weapon, especially when fit (he was bowling by memory for much of the Sth Africa series before his superb 3rd test effort - pretty much on one leg), I think I read an interview recently where he expected to be available for selection for the Pakistan series - so I certainly won't write him off!

agree that Rogers will probably come under a tad more scrutiny than Haddin, but I still reckon that both will tour when all's said and done - I love the Chris Rogers story, overlooked for a decade plus (apart from a solitary test) despite churning out runs year after year.
Finally gets another shot, and he has supplied a certain level of security at the top of the order, so he's done a pretty good job in my book. Has had periods where it's looked as though the wheels might fall off (and he does himself no favours by constantly telling the press he could be axed at any minute!) but he's found ways to fight back and of course has 3 centuries in his last (I think) 10 innings ..

as for Warner - he walks a fine line for sure.
apparently his missus is pregnant, so perhaps impending fatherhood might gentle him down some - but I wouldn't count on it.
I don't mind a bit of gamesmanship but yeah he does push it a bit hard at times; judging by comments from some of the English and Sth African cricketers, he's unsurprisingly not particularly respected or well-liked - but as long as he keeps churning out the runs, he's pretty much bullet-proof ..

oh, btw, I don't think Shaun Marsh should tour, I was surprised he was picked for Sth Africa - promptly proved me very wrong with a superb century in the 1st test, but quickly reverted to career form with a string of low scores (scored another duck in his return to first class cricket last week too) ...
Phil Hughes might be due for another crack at Test cricket, perhaps his last crack ..
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yeah, Shaun Marsh has never really delivered, despite his potential. There are a few like that...

What ever happened to Ed Cowen? He was piling on the runs at one stage wasn't he? Phil Hughes is probably an outside chance. Bailey is probably out now.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Australian cricketer Phil Hughes has died at the age of 25, after being struck on the head by a bouncer. He was struck below the left ear and suffered an extremely rare neck injury which caused a brain haemorrhage. It has been described as a freak accident with only 100 reported cases ever recorded. He was wearing a helmet, but the way he turned his head while attempting a pull shot meant that the ball passed just behind it.

He would have been 26 on Sunday, and was on the verge of a Test recall.

RIP.

www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/phillip-h ... 7135469050

Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Cricket

Post by SleeplessOne »

pretty tragic Stevie G; Phillip Hughes always came across a little more humble, a little less affected than some of his high-profile team mates.

very sad, the footage was horrible to watch.

also feel for the bowler Sean Abbott, who no doubt would have sent down hundreds if not thousands of bouncers throughout his career - now due to a terrible accident, he will have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yeah I don't know what Sean Abbott will do now. Hopefully he'll get back out there, but it won't be easy.

The whole thing makes me feel like shit really. You've got to have a certain arrogance to get to that level, but there have been a few that can manage to stay a bit more grounded than others, and still reach the top. Can't say he didn't get a good send off I suppose. The eulogies used up all the data allowance on my phone - they're good, honest and heartfelt.

www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/phillip-h ... 7143512803
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Cricket

Post by SleeplessOne »

apparently Sean Abbott is back bowling, good to hear ..
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Bowled a bouncer in his first over, and took a couple of wickets. Looks like he's back into it.

And Michael Clarke, David Warner and Steve Smith all get centuries in the first innings of the first test. Although did you see Clarke? He looks in trouble re his back injury. I wonder how much longer he'll be able to play - those injuries don't go away.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

To all you cricket fans out there (no, not crickets [like this forum]) :D

Australia wins the 2015 cricket world cup - woo hoo!

www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-29/australi ... nd/6357172
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

So then... The pitcher's (I have no idea what he's called in cricket) arm has to be fully extended, with elbow locked, when he throws it? Also, the ball has to bounce first?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Correct in the bowling action, no "throwing" with a bent elbow. He's known as a bowler. Even with this restriction, fast bowlers can bowl at a high pace (upwards of 150km/hr or 93miles/hr).

But the ball doesn't have to bounce first. There are rules on heights etc - if the ball doesn't bounce, it can't travel higher than the batsman's waist for safety reasons.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

The Aussie's have officially hit a new low, being bowled out for 60 in the Ashes tour. That's about as bad as it gets!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well, it's time for the cricket world cup again. Let's see how those cheatin' Aussies go :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “Sports”