Lord Foul's Name

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Grimm
Stonedownor

Post by Grimm »

I apoligize. I'm a newbie to this forum and have already developed a bad habit of knit-picking other posts and going off-topic to do so. I'm just so excited to finally find others who have read TCTC. If I sound condesending, I don't mean to be. TCTC is a very important part of my life, and not being able to talk about it to someone else for 20 years has been frustrating. :oops:

Grimm
"Well, jynnan tonnyx all around then."
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

actually you are right Grimm .. I believe the OoP was created by the new Lords to prevent another disaster like the RoD was for the Land.

And it was as High Lord Mhoram discovered the OoP prevented the right exercise of the Lore of Kevin ..

Grimm .. posting members .. are highly valued components of the Watch .. In our debates often points are explored from others posts .. in truth .. thats where the richest discussion fodder comes from :wink: :P ..

there be no sheep stations at stake .. its all fun .. and by all thats good .. it can be extremely exhilarating .. the depths some of the discussions can go ..

hail well and keep posting Grimm of the Watch ..

.. or .. :wink: .. be true!!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Grimm is right!!!

Post by danlo »

Grimm u r right and I feel like Rayhynn droppings! Sky is right we need new blood 2 catch lazy old timers like me! In the old Oath of Peace topic Juntel made quite the elegant and definitive statement:
From Lord Foul's Bane (from Atiaran's storytelling):

"One thing more they swore-Peace, a calmness of self to protect the Land from destructive emotions like those that maddened Kevin. For it was clear to all there gathered that power is a dreadful thing, and that the knowledge of power dims the seeing of the wise. When they beheld the First Ward, they feared a new Desecration. Therefore they swore to master the Lore, so that they might heal the Land-and to master themselves, so that they would not fall into the anger and despair which made Kevin his own worst foe."
Trell's near desecration is what finally awoke Mhoram, or at least finalized his thoughts. Why?
Is it that such powerfull Lore cannot finally be contained within any Oath of Peace?

There is also something quite interesting in Power that Preserves, in Chapter 2, when Mhoram contemplates the bone sculpture Elena made:

"Intuitively, by steps which he could hardly articulate, Elena's marrowmeld sculpture had taught him the secret of the Ritual of Desecration.
He felt that there was enough hope and fear in the knowledge to last him a lifetime."

I always had difficulty understanding that passage at the beginning of PTP, the significance of Elena's sculpture. No idea whatsoever why it's so revealing...

Then a few lines later, we can read (PTP, ch.2):

"There was hope in the knowledge because it answered the quintessential failure which had plagued the new Lords from the beginning-from the days in which they had accepted the First Ward of Kevin's Lore from the Giants, and had sworn the Oath of Peace. If it were used, the knowledge promised to unlock the power which had remained sealed in the Wards despite the best efforts of so many generations of Lords and students at the Loresraat. It promised mastery of Kevin's Lore. It might even show ur-Lord Thomas Covenant how to use the wild magic in his white gold ring.

But Mhoram had learned that the very thing which made Kevin's Lore powerful for good also made it powerful for ill. If Kevin son of Loric had not had that particular capacity for power, he would not have been able to Desecrate the Land.

If Mhoram shared his knowledge, any Lord who wished to reinvoke the Ritual would not be forced to rely upon an instinctive distrust of life.

That knowledge violated the Oath of Peace. To his horror, Mhoram had come to perceive that the Oath itself was the essential blindness, the incapacity which had prevented the new Lords from penetrating to the heart of Kevin's Lore. When the first new Lords, and all the Land with them, had taken the Oath, articulated their highest ideal and deepest commitment by forswearing all violent, destructive passions, all human instincts for murder and ravage and contempt-when they had bound themselves with the Oath, they had unwittingly numbed themselves to the basic vitality of the Old Lords' power."I think one may find in these words, and those that follow, some answers.

I'll stop quoting further here, 'cause I wouldn't want any copyright troubles for this board or myself!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Ah, but danlo, what better fertilizer is there than Rayhnyn droppings? From the minds of the "lazy old timers" comes this killer site that us newbies can finally discuss the the chronicles of TC. I am grateful to all who made kevinswatch what it is. :D BTW, how do you quote another and block it in white as you just did? :oops:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just copy, paste and use the quote thingy above--thanks Dromond! I feel much better--Even after u finish the Chrons 4 the 2nd time--sometimes the elemental teachings of LFB can seem so far away. I usually do my homework, but I just flung that out 2 fast...had a feeling there was something wrong about that...(there's earthpower in them droppin's!!)
fall far and well Pilots!
Eddy
Servant of the Land

Post by Eddy »

I've always felt that many of the names in the chroncicles are almost onomatoepeic; they sound like what they are. (the word cuckoo sounds like the noise a cuckoo bird makes). So Lord Foul is his name because he is, literally Foul. Saltheart Foamfollower is an exact name for the sea-loving giant. Hotash Slay is an exact description of the lava around Foul's Creche.Can't think of any more at the moment.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Foul's Creche is a funny one isnt it? .. kind of ironic but also apt and as you say Eddy anomatopoeic all the same .. I agree there are heaps of words SRD chose that are ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Tohrm
Ramen

Post by Tohrm »

Danlo, your quote of Juntel reminded me of something that I read in the last book of the 1st chrons, (sorry, mind very fuzzy from lack of sleep). I will have to paraphrase it as I am about ready to sign off for the night. It went something like this: The lore was definitely too powerful to be contained within the oath of peace because in all of it lay a kernel of the RoD.
Didn't Trell go to Mhoram and want some of his power, some of the knowledge of what he was hiding from everybody? He sensed what Mhoram was hiding not only from himself, (he didn't really want to admit that he had this awful knowledge to himself!), but also from the members of the CoL. And it is true that if you study science that all forms of power also contain the ability to destroy. It is only the person who uses power who decides what the ultimate use of it will be for.
The dead are dead-only the living may hope to resist Despite
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

another great old thread that had sunk back to page 11. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Terrel
Servant of the Land

Post by Terrel »

The Dutch translation of Lord Foul is actually great: Heer Veil. :wink:
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

oooo, now that is interesting...very interesting indeed. Gotta think on that one for a bit. "Veil" hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”