ELOHIMFEST June 21st 2014 the official thread

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

lorin wrote:
ussusimiel wrote: P.S. Did lorin mention that I got to tick my 'interaction with the authorities' box on my 'Fest wish list?
Welllll ..............I didn't want anyone to have a worse impression of me than they already do. We were going through the town of Hurricane, Utah. I was doing a cool 72 in a 55. Yep - got pulled over. I think that is where I let Mike down. He had such high expectations. He wanted it all. He wanted the princess to pull over and do the whole rant thing. He wanted an NYPD attitude from the cop. He wanted the full monty. But I'm too smart to land my ass in jail. So I got out of the car and said to the cop that I was totally wrong, that I was speeding and I apologized. I bated my road bleary eyes and asked for forgiveness. So the officer, who was disappointingly nice and friendly, reduced the ticket to under 10 miles over the limit, thereby cutting the fine from 250ish to 120. I then thanked the nice man and we went on our way.
I'm a little disappointed he didn't tell you that that highway was a drug corridor. I got pulled over in the middle of nowhere, Ohio, last year and was told that. Though, the deputy just gave me a warning. I think he tagged me at 9 over.

$120 seems like a steep fine for under 10 over. I suppose you were pressing your luck if you tried to get a warning.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

The Ohio Turnpike is the *worst* for tickets. I can't tell you how many times I've been nailed there. It's not nearly as bad if you take I-70 across through Columbus.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

ussusimiel wrote: P.S. Did lorin mention that I got to tick my 'interaction with the authorities' box on my 'Fest wish list?
Alright: license and registration, please.
I wasn't seeding, sir. It's only July.
Seeding? You were speeding!
Oh. Right.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

wayfriend wrote:
Alright: license and registration, please.
I wasn't seeding, sir. It's only July.
Seeding? You were speeding!
Oh. Right.
It was pretty funny actually. Seeing Mikes clear disappointment that I wasn't hauled off. Glad they didn't catch me when I was pumping 90 mph 8O Ahhhh, the joys of a rental.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I had a very interesting day in Toronto yesterday. I happened to be passing the Toronto Public Library when I saw that they had a sci-fi and fantasy collection called the Merril Collection. In I went and I was in the middle of checking out a couple of critical articles on SRD when a group arrived in for a tour of the collection (which is held separately). They kindly invited me to join the tour and I completed my initiation into nerddom by asking to see the books they had by SRD. They had all the obvious ones (but not all the editions) and one I hadn't seen before, a "Best of Stephen (R?) Donaldson'.

The group was later meeting up with a Canadian fantasy writer Kelly Armstrong (with whom they had taken a fantasy writing class the previous year). Again they kindly included me in their plans and I got to hang out with them for the rest of the evening. Neat!

I hope to go back to the library today and get to read some of the articles. I'll take a note of their titles and post some comments about them when I get a chance.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

How cool is that? :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm curious what made it into the 'Best of'. Found it on Amazon, but it only lists 3 out of the 11 stories in it.

Edit:

The Daughter of Regals
Mythological Beast
Animal Lover
Unworthy of the Angel
The Conqueror Worm
Ser Visal’s Tale
Reave the Just
The Woman Who Loved Pigs
The Kings of Tarshish Shall Bring Gifts
Penance
The Killing Stroke

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Yes , Uss,,that is very Neat!..Fantastic! Maybe " The Best of.." is a bit premature....imho..just about any chapter of TLD could be short story in is own right..but I hope to read your postings of the articles et al.

Incredible connectivity ..simply surreal. How did the sci fi / fantasy buffs take your story of just coming from a E Fest?
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Lady Tam
Servant of the Land

Post by Lady Tam »

Hi everyone,

I can not tell you how much fun I had at E-fest! You all are awesome! Thank you for coming to my home and sharing in the celebration! I had so much fun entertaining you all and cooking for you! I can not tell you how special the tea cups were to me and the book was to Tom! You are awesome! Love Tam!
If you can't say something positive then say nothing at all!
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Hey everyone!

I'm back home in Melbourne. What a trip! Thank you so much Lady Tam and Danlo for hosting and organising such an amazing event. And of course thanks to all my fellow SRD nerds ("Watchers" doesnt really work for me).

My whole time in Abq was amazing, from being picked up at the airport by Menolly and Savor Dam, to my first night long stroll and conversation with Frosty, to talking all things SRD in a Biker bar over beers with the boys to debating the merits of Nirvana with lurch... I could go on.

I had a much quieter time after E-fest. A couple of memorable moments if people are interested... I drove from Indianapolis to Chicago, going to drop my car off at the airport. I was running low on petrol, so I pulled off the motorway and filled up. Getting through the inner city Chicago roads to get back onto the freeway, I came upon an intersection where I needed to turn right, I saw a car in the turning lane and changed into the turning lane and kept going to fall in behind it, and drove straight through a red light into an intersection! I was so lucky that the oncoming traffic was slow enough to stop, and I very quickly put the car into reverse and backed out of the intersection, before waving my hand at people in my most humble apologies, my heart racing a million beats a minute. I managed to eventually turn onto the freeway and drop the car off, really happy to be done with driving on the left.

My other memorable moment was seeing the Gin Blossoms out in Arlington Heights on 4th July. Seeing a small town 4th July festival there and one of my favourite bands play some great tunes in perfect summer weather was a lot of fun. I ended up missing the last train home (last train was early, only 9.30pm!) so I paid a small fortune to get a taxi back into Chicago.

Anyways, I had a blast at E-fest. Thank you everyone :)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Lady Tam wrote:Hi everyone,

I can not tell you how much fun I had at E-fest! You all are awesome! Thank you for coming to my home and sharing in the celebration! I had so much fun entertaining you all and cooking for you! I can not tell you how special the tea cups were to me and the book was to Tom! You are awesome! Love Tam!
A Lady Tam sighting! How's the new job?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Duke -- you people and your driving on the left... ;) Glad you made it home okay.

Tam -- You're welcome for the teacups. Just wish we could have done more to show you how much we love you guys. :)

EZ Board Survivor

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Just arrived back in Dublin, so, I guess that means that my 'Efest is over :(

Oh well, I had a ball and really squeezed it for all it was worth! I'll say a proper thanks to everyone in an extended post later on when the jet-lag has passed, but just want to mention a few people to start with. Lady Tam and danlo, a new high in hospitality, thanks again so much! The Santa Fe posse, blessed was I among lots of classy ladies! My roadtrip buddy, lorin, such great company (and such a fine line in freakouts :lol:), we'll simply have to do it again! Venice Baby!

Three more years to the next one! Come on SRD get that next book out! :lol:

u.

P.S. Of course, Softy is coming to Ireland in August, so we'll just have to have a mini Celt-fest then!
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Duke and U, glad you both arrived home safely. So glad I met you both and envious of your extended stays. Good luck with the jet-lag, U. Took me about 3 days to get back to normal.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Glad to hear you made it home safely, u. Make sure you tell those Irish women our opinion of their taste in men. :twisted:

I got a little more mileage out of the Fest today, and I even got in a plug for the Watch. :lol:
www.indiesunlimited.com/2014/07/10/meet ... s-authors/

EZ Board Survivor

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Now back to U.'s reputation. I can say that at one point we were in an embrace and I had my tongue in his ear. I can also honestly say that Bossk started it. It's all his fault.... :biggrin:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Wait. Bossk had his tongue in u.'s ear? And you didn't get a picture???

EZ Board Survivor

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

I thought the ribs and chicken were damn tasty, missed the ear. Any way, glad to see all have returned safely to their beginnings. You all made my ears hear the joy.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

my favorite pic of the fest
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I wish Bossk had his tongue in U's ear! That would have been hysterical! To clarify for everyone, we had to explain to U what a "wet willie" was. For those of you who don't know, it's when you get a big blob of spit on your finger and stick it in someone's ear. At the end of the evening, Bossk decided to cut out the finger part and just drool directly in my ear. I got him back. And then since U had never had a "wet willie" before I decided to demonstrate it for him first hand... :biggrin: 8) :P Lady Tam, Nathan and Cag were all in on the rounds of wet willie exchanges... :twisted:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”