aTOMiC's Reviews: Spoiler Warning!

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

aTOMiC's Reviews: Spoiler Warning!

Post by aTOMiC »

Although I still have not actually purchased a book, I do have in my possession the source pdf. Since I finally broke down and began reading Anthology stories I figure what the heck I’ll post my two bit opinions.

With two exceptions I have been reading the Anthology in order so I will present my comments based on that order.

First of all Joy’s introduction is terrific. It is a genuine pleasure to have someone of her abilities involved in our project. Her comments were articulate and thoughtful. I was very pleased to read it.

What a way to start off the book. Excellent poetry. The imagery and content is beautiful and effective in conveying what we are all about. I’ve read it over and over. Well done.

Thule of the Quill – zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-)

Jay Resop’s “Dr. Donez”

Now here is an interesting story. After reading the opening scene I was quite surprised to discover what the story was actually about. In fact there are a number of surprises that kept me wondering what was going to happen next. Since I have a spoiler warning at the top of this thread I feel free to reveal that the good Doctor, who we originally believe is an arrogant but frustrated Weather man at a local television studio, turns out to be an aspiring Super Villain. I won’t reveal an more details but I found the plot and setup of the story quite entertaining. The only critical comment I have is that the opening sequence may have focused on the alarm clock a bit too long and the end seemed a little rushed.

T.M. Hammon / Furls Fire – The Creed

The Creed was a very interesting, entertaining and well written story. I was a little shocked by the dark brutality of the Church and its leaders. I’m sure I’m not alone when I hoped their bloody reign would end immediately. There were elements in the story that reminded me of other tales. TCTC’s The Clave, Star Wars, Logan’s Run, TCTC’s Creator and even fundamental Christian theology. The Creed’s narrative also appears to serve as the preamble or prequel to a much larger story that I look forward to reading in the future. Well done.

I’ll fill in comments about the rest of the stories here as I read them. Skipping to the end….

Michael Rowlands’s “A God For Atheists”

Michael’s story is extremely well written and is quite thought provoking to be sure. There are elements that emerge that remind me of many of the more interesting episodes of the Twilight Zone and of A Clockwork Orange but Atheists is a very unique story, very imaginative. There is a dark and disturbing undertone that permeates throughout. When the central mystery is finally revealed all preconceptions about what is happening are suddenly turned upside down. The story telling is intelligent, eloquent and quite professional. Excellent.

Dan Southard’s “The Story”

Dan’s addition to the Anthology is a brilliant commentary on writing and its impact on not only those that write but also the people that read and their perceptions of the authors they admire. I first thought of Dan’s entry as a clever dodge from actually having to write but still managing to produce a submission but I freely admit I was dead wrong. In many ways “The Story” is an impressive effort that entertains and educates at the same time. I am left with one nagging question. Will Dan every attempt to actually write the story he describes in The Story? Can anyone produce a piece of fiction that ascends to the lofty standards he has established? One hopes its is worth a try.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Loredoctor
Lord

Re: aTOMiC's Reviews: Spoiler Warning!

Post by Loredoctor »

aTOMiC wrote:Michael Rowlands’s “A God For Atheists”

Michael’s story is extremely well written and is quite thought provoking to be sure. There are elements that emerge that remind me of many of the more interesting episodes of the Twilight Zone and of A Clockwork Orange but Atheists is a very unique story, very imaginative. There is a dark and disturbing undertone that permeates throughout. When the central mystery is finally revealed all preconceptions about what is happening are suddenly turned upside down. The story telling is intelligent, eloquent and quite professional. Excellent.
:oops: Wow. Thanks. From someone of your writing calibre, that is a real compliment. :D
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

aTOMiC wrote: Avatar’s “The Watch”

What a way to start off the book. Excellent poetry. The imagery and content is beautiful and effective in conveying what we are all about. I’ve read it over and over. Well done.
:lol: Glad you liked it Tom. It was the first thing I'd written in probably 3 or 4 years, and one of the very rare times when I've written something "to order" as it were. In other words, choosing something to write about, rather than simply writing whatever was there.

--A
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Thank you very much, Tom. I will add your comments to my portfolio. :)

I would like to put in a word in defense of Dr. Donez's alarm clock. It only makes sense that the doctor's alarm clock should also aspire to be a Super Villain, though in its own inarticulate fashion. Its endeavor, though tragically cut off, deserves tribute.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Dragonlily wrote:I would like to put in a word in defense of Dr. Donez's alarm clock. It only makes sense that the doctor's alarm clock should also aspire to be a Super Villain, though in its own inarticulate fashion. Its endeavor, though tragically cut off, deserves tribute.
That is an interesting take, Joy. It hadn't occured to me to view the scene from that perspective. When you put it that way the Alarm Clock takes on a whole new life of its own. :-)

___
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ___ »

aTOMiC wrote:Dan Southard’s “The Story”

Dan’s addition to the Anthology is a brilliant commentary on writing and its impact on not only those that write but also the people that read and their perceptions of the authors they admire. I first thought of Dan’s entry as a clever dodge from actually having to write but still managing to produce a submission but I freely admit I was dead wrong. In many ways “The Story” is an impressive effort that entertains and educates at the same time. I am left with one nagging question. Will Dan every attempt to actually write the story he describes in The Story? Can anyone produce a piece of fiction that ascends to the lofty standards he has established? One hopes its is worth a try.
You had it right before you went all philosophical.....it was indeed a dodge from actually having to write.
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Heh...glad you enjoyed my story, Tom. And if the ending felt rushed...it's because it was. Haha.-jay
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Mr Fixit wrote:You had it right before you went all philosophical.....it was indeed a dodge from actually having to write.
Not many people dodge with such panache. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

And here I thought I was dodging with verve!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

T.M. Hammon / Furls Fire – The Creed

The Creed was a very interesting, entertaining and well written story. I was a little shocked by the dark brutality of the Church and its leaders. I’m sure I’m not alone when I hoped their bloody reign would end immediately. There were elements in the story that reminded me of other tales. TCTC’s The Clave, Star Wars, Logan’s Run, TCTC’s Creator and even fundamental Christian theology. The Creed’s narrative also appears to serve as the preamble or prequel to a much larger story that I look forward to reading in the future. Well done.

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Thanks Tom! I actually have stories and snippets of stories about the further adventures of the characters in The Creed. I was going to submit one for the second Anthology but life has been crazy lately, so I wasn't able to tweak it in time to get it submitted.

Glad you liked it!! :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”