Reading Runes: Letting It All Go

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

wayfriend

Reading Runes: Letting It All Go

Post by wayfriend »

This is a discussion of the theme of loss in The Last Chronicles, and (apparently) solves the mystery of the old beggar.
  • You got to let it all go
    Let it all go
    Let it all go
    So it don't burn a hole in your heart.
    -- John Hiatt
One of the most recurring themes in The Runes of the Earth is loss.

As the opening sequences play out, leading Linden to the Land, time and again we are reminded, Thomas Covenant is no longer with us. Linden’s has a vital life, but it has grown around the shape of the space where Covenant once was. She finds joy in caring for Jeremiah, whose life is also shaped by loss, the loss of his fingers, the loss of his mind. In the surgery, and then in her home, Linden works to diminish the extent of Jeremiah’s loss, and thereby diminishes the extent of her own. The result is a happiness created through filling each other’s empty spaces, like two halves of different broken bowls which can somehow join well enough to hold water.

When the adventure continues in the Land, we are confronted with loss and the imminence of loss at every turn. Linden has lost Jeremiah to Lord Foul, and she has probably lost her own life in her own world as well. The people of the Land have lost their health sense to Kevin’s Dirt, and they have lost their history to the Masters. Anele has lost his sight, his Staff, and his mind. The Ramen struggle to retain their identity despite losing the Plains of Ra seven thousand years earlier. Ur-viles and Waynhim face the final extinction of their respective species. And the Land itself is threatened with annihilation from many directions.

The Runes of the Earth, then, gets underway with a struggle to reverse the tide of loss: to find, to regain: to save. It begins with a quest to find the Staff of Law which Anele had lost. Covenant asks Linden to “find me”, and, when the book ends, Linden has perhaps succeeded. Larger, more ambitous quests - to find Jeremiah, and to save the Creator’s Earth – remain uncompleted.

In May, I was thinking about what role the Demondim were playing in Runes, and I recalled a line from a movie called “Jacob’s Ladder” (1990). I had seen this movie on cable long ago. It is a bizarre and frightening horror movie, and I admit I kept watching it through pure morbid fascination. And then … and then there was one of those movie moments where everything snaps into place, and you realize you are watching a profound movie instead of a merely fascinating one. One scene of dialog unlocked the meaning of the whole picture, delivered by Louis the friendly chiropractor (Danny Aiello) to the ailing Jacob (Tim Robbins):
Eckhart saw Hell too. You know what he said? He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, the way he sees it, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all.
Jacob had been living in a fantasy world, in a truly Donaldsonian sense – his nightmares were externalized as if they were real. He had been terrorized by demons that seemed to be out to rob him of the important things in his life. But they were only his fear of losing, of letting go. When Jacob comes to understand his situation and what is ultimately at stake, it changes how he perceives the demons. They become angels, who can now take care of Jacob without his opposition. These heavenly agents no longer appear to be demons, and Jacob finds peace. (I’m trying not to spoil too much; see the reviews, then see the movie.)

It’s just a matter of how you look at it. Those are words of power when you stand in the right place. When it comes to dealing with loss, how you look at it makes all the difference. You can fight it, or you can let it go. When you fight it, then those things that help you let it go can be perceived as taking it away. And things that seem to be helping you hang on are really working against you. Friend becomes foe, and foe friend: your angels and your demons get all mixed up.

After reading Runes a couple and a half times now, I have discovered that this idea about one’s attitude toward loss – fighting it or letting it go - seeing devils or seeing angels – is very apparent in Runes, and may lead us to understanding The Last Chronicles.

Letting go has been an aspect of the Chronicles since the first. Consider Covenant’s relationship with the Land as it changes from Lord Foul’s Bane to The Power that Preserves. At first, the Land is a devil – it torments him by threatening his sanity and eroding is self-preserving habits. His denial and resistance does only harm. Then there is a change in perception. Covenant comes to see the beauty of the Land not as a seducement but as a treasure, and his own role as being a defender rather than a victim. Before he leaves at last, the Land is an angel – it sustains him with earned self-esteem and a new knowledge of his capabilities. By changing his attitude about what he risked losing, Covenant triumphed.

Loss leads to grief. And, depending on how you look at it, grief can lead to the despair that serves despite, or it can lead to the catharsis that leads to strength. You can be Trell, or you can be Mhoram.

In The Second Chronicles, Covenant again faces loss, but it is more complex. Once he has been bitten by Marid, he has effectively lost his chance to save the Land. The Second Chronicles takes Covenant on a journey of acceptance of that loss. It begins with stubborn refusal, leads through painful recognition, and finally comes to strength: Covenant is able to give his burden to Linden, and triumph.

The Ur-viles and the waynhim are another case in point.
In [u]The Wounded Land[/u] was wrote:Each Waynhim and ur-vile beholds itself and sees that it need not have been what it is. It is the fruit of choices it did not make. From this fact both Waynhim and ur-viles draw their divergent spirits. It has inspired in the ur-viles a quenchless loathing for their own forms and an overweening lust for perfection, for the power to create what they are not. ... But the spirit of the Waynhim is different entirely. They foresaw clearly the price the ur-viles paid, and will ever pay, for self-loathing, and they turned in another way. To seek self-justification. ... In their loneness, they have chosen to serve the Law of which they do not partake.

Here again, we see loss and the attitude towards loss which shapes so much. Both ur-viles and Waynhim see the connection to the natural world that they never had, that they were born without. But their attitudes towards that lack makes all the difference. Where the ur-viles loathe the natural people of the land and fight them, the Waynhim respect and serve the people of the Land.

And there is hope that the ur-viles will learn to see angels where once they saw demons. In fact, The Last Chronicles may depend on it.
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:It seems fairly obvious the the ur-viles had reinterpreted their Weird and decided to turn against Lord Foul. Why did they do so? Ah, therein lies a tale, without which "The Last Chronicles" might not be posssible.
(11/12/2004)
Reinterpret their Weird. It’s just a matter of how you look at it. What an intriguing clue. Whatever knowledge changed the ur-viles’ black hearts, I am sure that Covenant will need to learn it.

We know from Donaldson’s interviews that the Land will end when The Last Chronicles end.
And I call it the Last Chronicles of Covenant and there would be no later sequels since the world would end.INTERVIEW: September 26, 1997
But how can we imagine that Covenant’s story will end other than triumphantly?

It is clear, then, that before The Final Dark ends, we, the reader, will be at peace with the loss of the Land. It’s just a matter of how you look at it. Somehow, someway, Donaldson’s job will be to show us how to understand the meaning of the end of the Land. So that we can acquire the strength to accept it.

Haven Farm, raized.

Kevin’s Watch, toppled.

As we go on this journey, we will continue to encounter the emblems of loss. I predict that Revelstone will also fall, and, by the end, Mount Thunder itself. (Why else would Jeremiah show us these things, if not to warn us?) We will be tempted into the grief that leads to despair.

And we will meet demons. Demons who appear fearsome because they seem to threaten the land. Skurj. Ceasures. Demondim. Esmer. But we need to watch out for the ones that are really angels, the ones who will help Covenant let go of the Land and triumph. And we will need to be on the lookout for demons posing as angels, helping us hang on too long. Haruchai. Elohim. The Mahdoubt.

When you understand that The Last Chronicles will be about letting it all go, many things make more sense.

Now we understand where the old beggar is in The Last Chronicles. It’s just a matter of how you look at it. We have gotten into the habit of the old beggar choosing someone to save the Land. But the Land will not be saved. So why would the old beggar choose anyone?

And it helps us understand Linden as well. If the Land will not be saved, and the old beggar chose no one, then her presence in the Land is not the Creator’s doing. She is not needed; she may in fact be a danger to the Land. Do her actions seem reckless? She’s still trying to save; she’s not letting go. So she is fighting the demons that she sees, and has not yet learned to cooperate with them instead. Foul’s attempt at breaking the Arch might depend solely on bringing Linden to the Land when she has not been Chosen.

And, finally, we can understand somewhat the dilemma that Covenant will face. In the first Chronicles, his struggle was to learn to save the Land. In the second, his struggle was to learn to let go, and let another save the Land. In The Last Chronicles, his struggle will be to learn to let it all go.

Let it all go, so it won’t burn a hole in his heart.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Wayfriend, GREAT post!! It's too late to even try to post all my thoughts on this...
But how can we imagine that Covenant’s story will end other than triumphantly?
I agree, I have come to believe it will be a transcendence. The Last Dark makes me think of the Buddhist concept of Nirvana... it's described as a letting go of all earthly attachments, suffering, and in some cases, even of all sensations. A state of bliss.
High Lord Kevin wrote:Creator, did You intend that beauty and truth should pass utterly...
What if the Creator's answer is "Yes! And there's something even better coming next!!!"
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Wayfriend, you have touched me in a way that few have managed. A truly beautiful post worthy of all that SRD created in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

ummm... WOW!

TRULY EXCELLENT POST.

(i loved jacob's ladder aswell btw)
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

WOW

DAMN

ASTOUNDING

This post is a must read for anyone who loves the Chronicles.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thanks, Relayer, VS, Marvin, DLB.

Not much of a discussion-starter, tho. *sigh*
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

:Hail:
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

The concept of one one being chosen by the Creator this time around is an interesting one, and it definately makes Linden a danger to the Land in the way Covenant was during The Second Chronicles.

Will this then mean that she will now go on the journey that he went on last time? She has healed the Land before but that isn't her job this time around.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Seareach wrote::Hail:
DITTO TIMES TEN!!! :Hail:

Wayfriend...great freakin essay! very most excellent.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

variol son wrote:Will this then mean that she will now go on the journey that he went on last time? She has healed the Land before but that isn't her job this time around.
I am a little confused because we had a whole book without Covenant, but I think that the Chronicles is and always will be about Covenant.

Linden is not the central character, even though she is a POV character, even though she saves the Land. She existed to fill the role of someone Covenant could share his burdens with; she had problems to grow through so that we as readers would question Covenant's judgement of her, so that there'd be risk in accepting her. (Hence the Haruchai always suspected her.) And the author had to be true to her character, and so she is fleshed out more than any other character, even Mhoram.

But I can't go so far as say she is equal to Covenant in the story. The Land is not her Land, nor is it part hers. She's not a second Covenant.

So I would define the Last Chronicles by Covenant's journey. Linden's journey is secondary. It may complement Covenant's (again) or it may be at odds this time (for contrast).
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

However, even in the early chapter we see Linden struggling with a lot of the same things that Covenant struggled with - the loss of a gift (Covenant's healing, Linden's percipience), trying to understand a Land that has radically changed since her last visit, and not in the way she may have anticipated, echoes of her previous visit (Covenant had the na'Mhoram, Linden had the son of Sunder and Holian).

I am not saying that Linden is another Covenant and I believe that her character would be severely weakened if SRD tried to raise her to that status. However, since her journey in The Second Chronicles to a degree mirrored Covenant's journey in The First Chronicles, then can we not expect a similar situation now?

In The First Chronicles, Covenant didn't come to grips with how much he loved the Land until The Power that Preserves, Linden in The Second Chronicles didn't reach that place until White Gold Wielder. Yes, their reasons for not loving the Land were different, but they both had to learn to love it before they could save it.

In The Second Chronicles, Covenant had to accept that he wasn't going to save the Land this time around. Only when he accepted that could make the ultimate sacrifice that changed everything, and he didn't get there until after the Banefire. This time Linden has to make the same discovery, but Fatal Revenant and Shall Pass Utterly are likely to pass before she does so.

Which leaves many questions. How much harm can Linden perceivable accomplish in the meantime? Will Covenant realize that her actions are having harmful consequences? If so, given his love for her, how will he react? What of Stave, and the Ranyhyn, who have pledged to follow her, not him?

The Last Chronicles will be defined by Covenant's journey, but I believe Linden's journey will be critical in shaping the road ahead for him. As I have said before in discussions about the Haruchai and their role as Masters, I believe that The Last Chronicles will break our hearts.

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Wayfriend's view of the theme of loss in the Last Chronicles is quite intriguing, and there's no denying that the examples he makes are compelling. It is true, then, that all depends on how you look at it: loss can be devastating, or it can be made peace with, depending on whether you're too stubborn to let it go, or you're ready to. In a way, the Land of the Last Chronicles is like an old, old person, laying in her bed and living her final days, and all the characters - Covenant, Linden, even us, the readers - are like relatives and friends sitting around her and holding her hand. How the unavoidable loss will affect us depends on whether we still want her to live, or if we realize that her time has come, and that she is ready to go. I expect that by the time we get to the Last Dark, the Land will be ready to go; and at that point it will be up to the main characters to let her go, or to struggle to hold onto her, possibly prolonging her suffering.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

*shrug* Everything is a matter of perspective. ;)

Damn good post WayFriend. :D

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

variol son wrote:However, since her journey in The Second Chronicles to a degree mirrored Covenant's journey in The First Chronicles, then can we not expect a similar situation now?
I agree on that point. In the beginning of the Second Chronicles, Covenant went straight to "Where's Foul? Let me at 'em!"; his hard-won position at the end of the First Chronicles was retained. The Last Chronicles is similar; Linden's entering the Land with her hard-won position from the end of the Second Chronicles. Which seems to be "I'm ready to be effective; give me the Power". She no longer fears making decisions of consequence, of being responsible.

And just as Covenant had to learn that his position needed to change, we can assume Linden will learn, as well.

Meanwhile, Covenant is in an entirely new position (to us). He's not coming back - he's been here all along. I want to wonder what that means.
variol Son wrote:How much harm can Linden perceivable accomplish in the meantime? Will Covenant realize that her actions are having harmful consequences? If so, given his love for her, how will he react? What of Stave, and the Ranyhyn, who have pledged to follow her, not him?
You see, I don't see this as "harm" the way everyone else does. I see this as "holding on". She's fighting to achieve a status quo that's no longer extant. And, I suspect, she may end up being Covenant's antagonist in this story, rather than his companion. Not because she's bad, but because she's always a step behind.

That'll break some hearts.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I think that'll come down to "Does she trust TC with her son?" If she does she'll follow him more, if she doesn't trusthim or think that he's potent, she very well could work against him.

Great Post
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Interesting theory, Buckarama! The tables are turned this time: we don't know if Linden can trust Covenant. ("Remember, I'm dead.")
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

But I still don't think it is Covenant that is approaching Revelstone at the end of Runes; which, if it isn't opens up a lot of potential problems for Linden if she cannot figure this out.

FOr all we know, was it really Covenant who speaks through Anele to Linden, or another trick by something else. What if it is Covenant + something else; I guess we could argue that this dead covenant, filtered and changed through 3000 years, is an entirely different being altogether.

In retrospect, it is Called The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, I gotta believe the old boy will show up soon, "Bloody Damnations" and "HellFires" intact.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

And remember the Mahdoubt's warning, right before Linden sees Covenant and Jeremiah... the implication was

"beware of your feelings of love, they can mislead you into making some stupid choices"

Y'all think she's already totally forgotten about that? :twisted:
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Wayfriend. A fine post, indeed.

Here is a thought. You say "...So she is fighting the demons that she sees, and has not yet learned to cooperate with them instead. Foul’s attempt at breaking the Arch might depend solely on bringing Linden to the Land when she has not been Chosen."

Perhaps her choice to fight rather than accept is also a "Fatal Revenant"...a revenant of her past (lost) life.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thanks, GS. Welcome back, too. And that's the first suggestion that I've heard that the Fatal Revenent is Linden...

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”