Runes, Prologue, Ch. 5: The Cost of Love and Despair

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Runes, Prologue, Ch. 5: The Cost of Love and Despair

Post by [Syl] »

It was a dark and stormy night. No, really. There are a few central themes to this chapter. The dark, the light, and the storm. Blood and knowledge. But first, allow me to summarize.

Linden gets off the phone with Megan, who has just informed her that Roger knows she has a son. It's questionable how much culpability she really has, however, since Roger seems to know a few things already. Immediately, with Rowan still speaking on the phone, she takes off out of the hospital, making a beeline for her house. The only thing remotely slowing her down is the wind, making her drop her keys, keys she cuts herself with on her right hand when she punches the dash.

When she arrives at the house, the lock is shot off, the door open, all the lights are on, and nobody is home. They say houses in literature most often represent minds. If so, I think this one is Jeremiah's. Literally between one second and the next, Linden goes from panicky mother to calm, focused Linden Avery the Chosen. She changes into sensible clothes (including 'sturdy boots' since she lost her sandals in her rush to the house. Strangely enough, she decides not to wear a jacket), grabs her medical bag, leaves a message for Lytton, and heads to Haven Farm.

On the way to the farm, all the lights go out, including the street lights. The town is empty. Driving through downtown, Linden passes the courthouse and the phone company office, the former eerily lighted by a lightning strike.

She arrives at Haven Farm to find Roger's car left out front, the trunk open. Covenant's old house is in serious disrepair. Fading, almost non-existant paint, broken windows, warped boards. The inside is in no better shape. Following a trail of blood, she find's Sara Clint bound to Covenant's old bed with duct tape, her throat slit. Before she can do anything, she notices the house is on fire, ignited by a lightning strike. With no other avenues of escape, she breaks the rest of the glass out of the window and climbs out, cutting her hand again in the process. The house soon collapses in on itself in smoldering ruin. An abandoned house, falling apart, containing an atrocity, which then burns down. I would think this house would symbolize

There's only one other place to go; the hollow from the ritual where Jeremiah's mother and the others offered their pain to Lord Foul. And that's where she finds Roger, Sandy, Joan, and Jeremiah. Roger pistol whips Sandy for talking, offers to trade Jeremiah for Linden cutting off her right hand. Lytton shows up unarmed, trying to talk Roger into giving himself up. Roger shoots Lytton, almost shoots Sandy, but Linden makes him miss by throwing first her flashlight then her bag at him. Lightning immolates Joan. Then Lytton's men let loose a barrage of gunfire, splattering Roger and then Linden, who falls into darkness.

So back to the central themes. The first is the play between light and dark. It would be simpler if it were so easy as good and evil. There is very little to support this, except for Roger calling Linden 'the good doctor.' If it's more than an expression, it's rendered useless by Roger possibly mockingly calling Lytton a brave man.
"…"You're a brave man." The ease with which he made himself heard through the wind's outcry mocked Lytton.
No, I think it's more of reality vs unreality, and the mercurial nature of the two.
Some examples:
The wind seemed to snatch them out of her fingers: they dropped to the pavement in a buffeted ar through the false illumination from the light poles.
The sheer intensity of the wind seemed to dim the streetlamps, truncate their illumination
Abruptly, every lamp along the steet let out an incandescent blare and went dark. Midnight seemed to tumble out of the sky… The beams of her headlights appeared to sag to the ground… unable to penetrate the sudden blackness.
Its interior light gave off a faint glow that seemed to efface the rest of the vehicle, so that only the trunk retained any rality in this world.
For an instant, fierce white filled the hall as though it shone straight through the walls into her eyes; as though in that moment the hallway and Linden herself had been ripped into another reality… darkness recoiled over her, stifling her flashlight
An instant later, gunfire and Lord Foul's blasts burned all light away (ironic), and she fell into the bottomless night
If light represents reality, it's a fragile one. What light there is seems to be false and feeble, perhaps no surprise, as Foul's eyes appear in the lightning strikes.

As for blood and knowledge, I have an even less clear understanding as to what is meant by it. The main thing drawing me to this is Roger's remark to Linden about her cut hand:
"Your hand is bleeding, Doctor." His tone betrayed a hint of eagerness. "Why do you suppose that is?"

She gaped at him, momentarily silenced. How had he--?

But he gripped her son by the wrist; pointed his gun at Sandy's head. For their sake, Linden retorted, "Because I cut myself."

"No." Again he shook his head. "It's because you're already doomed. You can't get out of it now."
Blood pleased Pietten, fueled the banefire, gives Joan relief and strength, and now dooms Linden Avery. Strangely enough, her bleeding hand is the one Roger tells her to cut off for her son (which of course would create more blood).

It seems unlikely that Roger would let her go, however. He's gone to great lengths, apparently to bring this very situation about. Every step of the way, Linden has felt like Roger was welcoming her to this ordeal (welcoming to betrayal?), leaving the lights on in her house, the trail of blood in Covenant's house. And where she's being welcomed, Linden will follow.
Before he butchered Sandy as he had Sara, to open the way for the Land's destruction, and Jeremiah's.

She would go. She would.
As far as knowledge, Roger appears to not know Jeremiah's name, yet he knows he's been vacant for ten years.
He's just meat. Don't you know that? An empty carcass. There's nothing you could do to save him. There hasn't been anyone in there for ten years.
So was whoever in there just blasted out, or has he been somewhere else for ten years… easy enough to calculate for someone who knows the time differential between the real world and The Land?

Wherever Roger's knowledge comes from, he seems to think it stems from his parentage.
"You said I haven't earned the knowledge. But you don't know anything about me.

"How did you earn it?"

"By being her son," he replied without a glance at Joan. "And Thomas Covenant's. My parents were a leper and a victim. Really, Doctor. You could at least try to imagine who I am."
I believe he's saying his knowledge comes from being born into despair. That would explain why it's such a Foul-tinted kind. If so, he's painting himself as a victim of his upbringing, and we all know how much Foul loves the self-victimized. Funny, though, I think most of us would consider Covenant the 'victim,' and in some ways, Joan the leper.

Finally, there are a few random items I'd like to touch upon. They all relate to Covenant, perhaps in the way Roger relates to Covenant.
Shifting the flashlight in her grasp, she used to fingers and the tip of her thumb to test the doorknob.
I imagine that's how Covenant would've had to open the door.
She had not returned to the woods since the night of Covenant's murder, but she was sure of them. Where else could Roger go, if he wished to undo his father's self-sacrifice.
Standing somewhere else in these woods, on a hillside above Righters Creek, Thomas Covenant had once seen a young girl threatened by a timber rattler…

Roger would avoid such a place. The ground itself might retain too much of his father's courage.
How does she know so much about him (yet so little)? How would Roger know of the event, much less the location, except intuitively? If she understood Roger so well… is he just an unloved child, seeking Covenant's attention?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Good questions! Great dissection--it was so freaking vivid when SRD read this at Bubonicon two years ago that I literally thought worlds were colliding right there in the room!
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Great job, Syl!
I would think this house would symbolize
Minor editing point - would you finish this thought please?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh. Ooops.

...Joan.

Thanks, guys.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Fantastic job, Syl. :D 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Great post Syl. I especially like the bit about Roger being born into despair.

And of course I suddenly couldn't help but notice the reference to the telephone company, a central figure in the journey that Covenant made which was to become such an important one. (Not that I think it represents anything much here, except maybe the strat of another journey, which this certainly is.

And more hints than ever before that Roger knows more about this all than he perhaps should.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I appreciate how you shed a light on the symbolism, Syl.

I, too, noticed how the lighning and the wind seem to point towards reality itself being altered. I wonder, too, how much Lord Foul is summoning, and how much he's pushing the two realities together.

Also, I cannot help but notice the parallel between the storm and Linden's distress. The storm worsens as her situation does!

And that line about "You can at least try to imagine who I am." He is the product of a victim and leprosy - both forms (according to Donaldson) of self-despite. Is he, in some way, the Despiser himself, acting in our world? Or maybe merely someone born to serve him?

- - - - - - - -

I feel that the Sandy conspiracy breaks down here. Why would Roger need to shoot the front door open, if Sandy was a co-conspirator?

Some things match up, if you stretch them, but don't bolster the theory.

Roger then searches the whole house, to find the ring - you could argue Sandy does not know where it is.

He shouts at Sandy later, "You don't talk now." This could be an order to someone he expects to serve him.

Then he lets her say her piece, before striking her again. Is she performing according to his script? Is the text really ambiguous on this point?

She is described as her features swollen, aggrieved with tears, at the rock. Doesn't sound like an accomplice.

Maybe the Sandy/Roger theory doesn't wash. But I'm not throwing it in the dust bucket yet.

- - - - - - - -

As for the Lytton Conspiracy:

Consider: how does he know where to go? Why would he think to go straight to that rock? Linden's message said only to go to Haven Farm.

Perhaps you could argue he would think of it from ten years ago. But he doesn't know the significance of that place.

More: when he gets to Haven Farm, he would find the house afire. Why would he leave this blaze? Why would he not believe that Roger and Joan and Linden are in the burning house? Why would he spend no time at all on checking it out?

It's "reckless", if you will, for a police officer to just leave that serious problem and head towards what must merely be a hunch.

Does Lytton seem like a hunch guy to you?

Finally: there is a power failure just a few moments after Linden calls to leave the message. What are the odds that Lytton would get it so fast before power was lost? (And Donaldson mentioned the power fail for some reason.)

Later, he says, "and God knows what you've done with Sara Clint". Is this insignificant? Or does it refer to Sara's slaying? If so, how does he know about it, since he didn't check out the Farm? If not, why would he say this? Why would he not assume she was released or that she escaped?

Frankly, I am too suspicous of Lytton getting to the right place so fast with so little information.

And consider this: why would Lytton's men fire without a clean shot at Roger, leading to Linden's being shot? And why would they shoot her AFTER Roger is evidently pulped with bullets?

Who Shot Linden Avery?

- - - - - - - -

What's up with all the blood in the hallway? It points to someone being cut up before getting to Haven Farm.

Then there's the open trunk. Roger had someone in the trunk. Dead bodies go in the trunk. These two things seem to fit together.

Did he kill Sara before bringing her to Haven Farm?

Then why did he tie her hands to the bed?

And if Sara was alive until that moment ... then whose blood is that all over the hallway? It was a LOT of blood. And what was in the trunk?

(That car was pretty full: Roger, Joan, Sara, Sandy, Jeremiah.)

- - - - - - - -
I have a raft of comments that I collected as I read this chapter.

:?: "Jeremiah had no worth in himself; no power, no ring." Oh, how I hope that this is irony.

:?: "It was possible that the white gold lost its power if it were stolen, or reft by violence." Sounds like a discussion on this forum! Obviously, this is a topic for future consideration in the story.

:?: "If she failed, I would need to take her place." This is quoted at least twice in this chapter. Its apparently very significant to the action. Is this merely pointing to Roger arranging the summonsing to come? Or is there something here I don't understand?

:?: She leaves a message for Lytton. Later, she is "not willing to risk any more innocents". Not very reckless here.

:?: There's a lot of consideration to Linden's doctor's bag. She brings it, she drops it, she picks it back up -- to finally lose it just before being summoned. Darn.

:?: "Over my dead body." We understand the significance of that!

:?: "On some level, he must have understood his danger." There's the red car thing. Could it be nothing more than a way for the author to indicate that Roger, at some level, understood his danger? And nothing more?

:?: "Now she stood among the sparks". These sparks are mentioned several times. It seems to me that these sparks mark the boundary where the summons happens. If you're in the sparks, you're on your way to the Land. This would seem to indicate that Lytton is not going: he was outside, and he fell backwards.

:?: "You've been listening to the things Dr Avery says about me", Roger comments to Lytton. "That's a mistake." How is this a mistake for Lytton? I don't understand this line. Does it refer to Roger not fearing dying at Lytton's hand?

:?: "There hasn't been anyone in there for ten years." AHA! Roger knows Jeremiah! If he didn't know the specifics, why say "ten years"? Linden only had him for seven years. And this is too strong of a conclusion to come to just from hearing Roman mention something. I think Roger knows about Jeremiah quite specifically.

- - - - - - - - - -

The final word on this final chapter of the preface: there are too many details in these five chapters for them to be meaningless or anecdotal. There are too many dangling references, too many seeming clues. I am sure we will be coming back to these events in subseqent books.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I find it interesting that Roger seems to paint himself as a victim of his parents - Linden used to do a very similar thing.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.

Post by Avatar »

WayFriend wrote:There are too many dangling references, too many seeming clues. I am sure we will be coming back to these events in subseqent books.
:lol: Certainly agree on that one. The trick is sifting out what are actual clues, and what is window-dressing. ;)

Great post WayFriend. :D

--A
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Syl, great analysis, and WF, great follow up! What a chapter! Coming on the heels of the frantic pace of the last one, it starts right out w/ Linden fleeing home as fast as possible, and only picks up the pace from there.

I had many of the same questions as you did...
Wayfriend wrote:And that line about "You can at least try to imagine who I am." He is the product of a victim and leprosy - both forms (according to Donaldson) of self-despite. Is he, in some way, the Despiser himself, acting in our world? Or maybe merely someone born to serve him?
I'm also wondering, what are the parallels/contrasts between TC's two children, Roger and Elena? Or those between Joan and Lena... and how does this affect their children? A common SRD theme is how children carry the legacy of their parents' strengths and weaknesses, and how they strive (or not) to overcome this legacy... Angus, Terisa, Elena, ur-viles/Waynhim, Linden...
Wayfriend wrote:I feel that the Sandy conspiracy breaks down here. Why would Roger need to shoot the front door open, if Sandy was a co-conspirator?
I agree... there's too much here that points away from Sandy as a conspirator, unless it's intentional... unless it's necessary that Linden continue to trust her at some future time.

One thing though... did Roger truly search the entire house? It seems that most of the house has been ransacked. But Jeremiah's room apparently wasn't. Linden only notices that the bed is empty, and that Jeremiah's racetrack was left undisturbed (I know the racetrack has been discussed at length). But also, it appears that all his Legos downstairs are still in their boxes. The only thing of Jeremiah's that's been destroyed is the castle in the front door's entryway. Maybe Roger just skipped Jeremiah's room, assuming the ring wouldn't be there... that's plausible. Or maybe Roger knows something about Jeremiah, like "don't mess with anything that's his" ??? The one way Linden can get him to react or interact is by doing something w/ one of his Legos... place it in the wrong spot, and he'll move it. Remove one from a completed construct, and he'll take the whole thing down...

I also wonder what the castle in the entryway represented? The way it was described (eldritch, faery, etc...) it made me think of the Elohim...
Wayfriend wrote:As for the Lytton Conspiracy:
Who Shot Linden Avery?
:LOLS:
Interesting points... I assumed she was just shot in the barrage, but maybe not. Lytton might have instructed his men to kill Linden, too... he's a bit pissed off at her... it'd be hard to prove later that she wasn't just caught in the crossfire.

It does seem a bit strange that he got there so fast... but maybe he is smart (or intuitive) enough. Even a thickheaded cop like him might have figured out to go to Haven Farm before Linden's message. Or, maybe he knows something...
Wayfriend wrote::?: "You've been listening to the things Dr Avery says about me", Roger comments to Lytton. "That's a mistake." How is this a mistake for Lytton? I don't understand this line. Does it refer to Roger not fearing dying at Lytton's hand?
I thought that sounded like something Foul or a Raver would say... it's only a mistake for Lytton in that he doesn't choose Roger's side, ie. "do not listen to her. come to the dark side. muahahahahaha!!!"
Wayfriend wrote::?: "There hasn't been anyone in there for ten years." AHA! Roger knows Jeremiah! If he didn't know the specifics, why say "ten years"? Linden only had him for seven years. And this is too strong of a conclusion to come to just from hearing Roman mention something. I think Roger knows about Jeremiah quite specifically.
Agreed!
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Post by Avatar »

Interesting...Avytaya just brought up the question of Elena in the thread for Ch. 4. Hmmm...why the sudden surge of thought about her?

I agree that Rogers actions and treatment of Sandy do suggest that she is not an accomplice, (although she may be an unwitting one), and the only reason for shooting out the lock, for example, if she was a knowing one would be to preserve the illusion that she wasn't. An apparently unneccessary illusion.

--A
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

On my part, it might be partly because I just finished rereading TIW, so Elena is fresh in my mind (I'm now early in TPTP :)) ... other than that, it just occurred to me after listening to Ch 5 again and reading the posts here. I didn't look at the Ch 4 post yet, I'll be interested to see what Avy said about Elena.

Something I just realized about Roger... he shoots out the lock at the hospital, and then does the same again at Linden's house. Makes perfect sense, yet there's a pattern. The door at Haven Farm wasn't shot out; I guess we can assume it was already unlocked? Or because it's "Roger's house" he doesn't need to shoot it out. What would a locked door represent in the Land, where there are no locks?
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Post by Avatar »

Well, no physical locks as far as we know.

The only pattern would be that somebody refused him entry at both places. *shrug* I don't think there's a deeper meaning on that score really.

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't find it mysterious that Lytton found the right place. Given the history of all these people, I think it's the FIRST place that would come to mind when someone said, "Go to Haven Farm," in order to find the murdering lunatic. She didn't say, "Go to Covenant's house." Cops are trained to see crime everywhere. I'm sure it would be very natural for him to associate Haven Farm with the one place where a big ol' bunch of crime happened last time. Murder. Burning kids hands off. Those kinds of things stick in one's mind. Especially a cop's. No need for a conspiracy.

I don't really have much more to add to this dissection. I'm kind of let down. I thought that my second reading of this would make me appreciate it more, not less. Does anyone mind if I just bitch a little? Good.

The lightning stuff was cool, up to a point. And then it started being too much. Too flashy. Ha ha. But seriously, I thought that its use as a "mood enhancer" was just too obvious. Dark and stormy night indeed. I expected more of Donaldson than to be hit over the head with a couple dozen lightning blasts. Instead of being scary and menacing, it was just annoying.

I don't like Roger. I don't like having a bad guy in the real world who kidnaps people and kills people. I don't like that he's supposed to be scary, with little details like his being a butcher thrown in to emphasize this. I don't like how overtly bad he is, without any explanation as to his motives. He feels like a generic lunatic murderer. I feel like I'm reading a True Crime story, not a fantasy novel.

I don't like, "He's threatening my son!" Again, True Crime story stuff. I couldn't care less about Jerimiah. I hate that this is the motivation of the entire book. HATE it. We've gone from "man confronts his own self-despite and learns how to live again" to "Linden saves the retard." [God, I'm going to hell for that one.] I just don't care, no matter how much scary lightning is used.

I remember liking this book. I remember appreciating how SRD's writing style has grown. I just think this is the worst "real world" intro of all three Chronicles. It's worth noting that a man walking into town to pay his phone bill was more riviting than all this murder and kidnapping--despite how hard Donaldson is trying.

But at least it's over. Now on to the good stuff.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Malik23 wrote:I don't like how overtly bad he is, without any explanation as to his motives. He feels like a generic lunatic murderer.
Did I not say earlier that some of the things Roger says may hint that he's not as all bad as he seems?

And if he's inflicted by Foul or a Raver, is he really to blame? (Ever see the movie "The Phonebooth"? Yeah, you get it.)
Malik23 wrote:Now on to the good stuff.
Heh. I raved at Danlo until I got my name put down for the next chapter. :wink:
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Did I not say earlier that some of the things Roger says may hint that he's not as all bad as he seems?
That would be interesting. I hope you're right.

While rereading my own post, I had to cringe at a few things I said (the retard comment being one of them--I hope I didn't offend anyone). I realized that the 2nd chronicles had kidnapping and murder. However, I have absolutely no problem with it in the 2nd chronicles. I didn't even think about it while I was ranting. So what's different this time? Maybe it is the "showdown" talk they have. I don't remember this much, "You've meddled in my affairs for the last time" type of banter. Or maybe it was the personalization of the murder/kidnapping by making TC's son the one doing it. Last time, it was just a nameless cult. For some reason, that made it a little easier to take. It made it more surreal, less literal. When we're supposed to accept it as a literal character whose motivations are supposed to follow in a direct, linear fashion from his childhood until now, well, the logic breaks down. I'm a little perplexed that he's just been "waiting around" for this day. What is so special about being 21? If it is not his legal inheritance kicking in--but instead a relationship with Foul or a Raver--then his age should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't know how to put my finger on it. Oh well, like I said, on to the good stuff. I look forward to your dissection, Wayfriend.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Runes "let down" has various shapes and forms which have been discussed before. Please contribute to them if you feel the need to unload! Or start a new one.

Reading Runes: There’s No Sex in Your Violence

Watch how unpopular I become with this post...

Just a few.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I dont think it comes down to Linden trying to save her son as the entire motivation for the book. No more than TC's leprocy is the entire motivation for the first Chronicles. I mean it starts with him getting hit by a police car and hitting his head. Would you prefer her trip on the way out of the doctors office and show up on Kevins Watch? Also keep in mind that it always required a summoning in the first chronicles but by the second chronicles the way into the land required the despiser himself to get involved in a summoning requiring blood. Thus in this last chronicles her hand is bleeding.. the necessary catalyst to be sure she gets summoned or perhaps its the necessary catalyst for the despiser to be able to act in this world to get her summoned.

All that aside, I think that this motivation is what gets her involved but once SRD uses that motivation to get her involved you cant just have her 'forget' that her son is kidnapped.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Another superb dissection! Hat's off to you, Syl. (Now just don't shoot me.) I like your comment that the theme is not so much about light vs. dark as it is about reality vs. un-reality. But what is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, taste and see--(gets shot).

Wayfriend, I swear my head is going to explode from all the insanely relevant and meaningful questions you've posted since the beginning of the Runes dissection. Keep it up, man! I wanna go out in style, with grey matter flying in all directions.

But as for the REAL important one: Who Shot Linden Avery?

Well, that one's obvious. J.R. did it!

(*Ahem* Jay Resop *cough*)
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I agree that this is where the Sandy conspiracy breaks down.. but now there is the conspiracy of who shot Linden. :twisted:

I personally think there is no conspiracy here.. she was just caught in the crossfire. I think she was headed to the land anyway.. the shot was no more or less than a cooincidence... but of course only time will tell.

Everyone does such a great job on these dissections and the discussions that follow... I get so much more out of my reading from these by getting other peoples views on them!!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Last Chronicles”