Runes, Part One, Ch. 1: "I am content"

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

wayfriend

Runes, Part One, Ch. 1: "I am content"

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]The Wounded Land[/u] was wrote:In a tight voice, she asked, "What do we do now?"

"Now," he said grimly, "if I can hold off my vertigo, we get down from here, and go find out what kind of trouble we're in."
When Thomas Covenant returned to the Land in the Second Chronicles, he here conveys to Linden, quite succinctly, what visiting the Land is all about. It is not going to be a picnic in fairyland.

Get down from here. Keep going, move forward, find out what’s at stake, what matters to you. If I can hold off my vertigo. All your weaknesses, the physical as well as the emotional, will be tested, exploited. Find out what kind of trouble we’re in. Things have already been set in motion against you: enter the traps, comprehend them, and master them.

As this chapter opens, and Linden is falling into the Land, we should bear this in mind. Linden will find out what is at stake. But traps have been painstakingly laid. And Linden’s instincts to protect Jeremiah will be the first weakness to be exploited.

And this, as well: Earlier in the story, we had wondered, where is the old beggar? We asked this because the beginning of each Chronicles begs to be compared with the beginnings of the earlier Chronicles. Identifying the similarities and the differences in the way that Covenant and Linden are summoned to the Land helps us understand the events that follow. Once we can solve Donaldson’s puzzle, that is. The clues that we find won’t have any meaning until we have gone much farther into the story.

Mark these passages. Remember them. This will be important.

The chapter opens with Linden descending, falling, into the abyss between worlds, while the echoes of gunshots fade away. Two things burn in her. Concern for her son, Jeremiah. And disappointment in herself for losing him. The passion of love, and the passion of guilt.
She had failed to protect her son, failed utterly. She had not so much as witnessed his fate.
She knows that she is shot, dead. Lytton and Sandy might be okay. But these things aren’t as important.

But the very thought of Jeremiah in Foul’s hands evokes such passion (love! guilt!) that it ignites the wild magic. Conveniently, or like another click in a plan ratcheting forward step by step, this heals her transcendental flesh, leaving her to be whole in the Land. The same thing happened to Covenant the last time, and so we are filled with dread, because we know Foul’s plans are unfolding.

That’s when the visions begin. In each other Chronicles, Covenant’s first arrival in the Land includes an informative tête à tête arranged by Lord Foul. This is his time. But this is not what happens for Linden; this time, in this Chronicles, Linden receives strange visions instead, visions seemingly triggered by the spark of wild magic.

The first vision is of Joan. Joan in the bed in Haven Farm, raking Covenant’s flesh. Then of Joan in a hospital bed, with Linden beside her. Then a fanatic preaching to Joan of expiation.

But the visions are not exactly Joan’s memories: there are strange transpositions. Linden becomes Joan; Jeremiah seems to be the preacher; Covenant replaces Roger as Joan’s son. So, then, these visions are not literal; they are symbolic; they are not true, but they convey meaning. They are meant to move Linden, to provoke her.

The vision of Covenant’s repudiation of Joan (of Linden) fuels the passions of love and guilt (It’s not her fault! I love you!), and wild magic erupts from Linden uncontrollably. Foul is playing Linden like a fiddle.

It is no coincidence that we are bluntly reminded in this chapter of Linden’s imprisonment in Revelstone. You are being forged as iron is forged to achieve the ruin of the Earth. Through eyes and ears and touch, you are made to be what the Despiser requires. Foul moves Covenant with words, but he moves Linden with visions, now as before. (Perhaps Linden’s acuity would make mere words seem hollow.) The first part of Runes is called “chosen for this desecration” to remind us of samadhi’s words as he coerces, blinds, frightens Linden through her sight. And he’s doing it again, as Linden falls through the ether.

Linden will think that she’s grown beyond this threat. But Foul will be one step ahead of her. Linden may now be self-protected against any fears for herself - but Foul has her son. He dares to compel her to his ends again. Here. Now. And, judging from Linden’s reaction: she has entered the trap.

But the visions from Joan reveal much. Mark these passages.
He goes somewhere, she told him. I know he does. It's a powerful place …

I have to go there. I have to find that place. …

If I fail, she adjured him, you'll have to take my place.
If she failed, I would need to take her place, Roger once spoke. Important: in the previous chapter, the author reminded us of these words, twice. Now, we see, that it was Joan who first spoke these words. And the meaning is a little clearer. If I fail to go there, to that place, you’ll have to take my place there. Someone has told Joan things, told her of the Land, told her a long time ago. But has she failed? Has Roger taken her place? Or does she now matter?

Conveniently, or like another click in a plan ratcheting forward step by step, Linden gains her health-sense as the visions play before her eyes. And she discovers:
Now a Raver had taken hold of Joan. Perhaps it had lived in her for years. Certainly it filled her now, feeding on her madness, consuming her with its voracious malevolence.

And it possessed Joan's ring. Turiya Herem could wield wild magic in the service of the Despiser. Coerced by the Raver, Joan had summoned others after her. Roger. Linden herself.

And Jeremiah - ?
Hellfire! The implications are staggering! The questions are insurmountable! A Raver has possession of white gold. And Joan is the summoner, not Foul, not a Raver. Raver + Joan + Ring + Summoner.

How? Is Joan’s white gold powerful enough to let a possessed Joan summon people to the Land? “With her white gold ring, Joan now wielded her power to rip open the barrier between worlds.” It would seem so.

And why? Does this have something to do with the rebound effect, that occurs when the summoner dies? But Joan is dead in the real world, leaving her to die, or to transform, in the Land. What if she becomes undying, like Covenant? But does it matter when Linden is shot through the chest anyway? If it doesn’t, what are these mechanizations for?
In the Gradual Interview, Donaldson wrote:In the most literal sense, death in the "real world" for a character like Hile Troy, or Thomas Covenant, simply means that character can no longer return to his/her "real" life. But of course the implications go much farther (and are explored more fully in "The Last Chronicles"). Literal death in the Land as well is a significant possibility. But neither Troy nor Covenant actually died in the Land: rather they were transformed; became beings of an entirely different kind.
(11/21/2004)
If we’re to believe Linden, then Roger has been summoned to the Land as well. If he is dead in the real world, he is free, as Joan is, as Linden is, to transform in the Land. We know that we will explore this fully. What forms will Linden, Joan, and Roger take?

It’s noteworthy that the Donaldson credo, explored in “The Killing Stroke”, appears here.
Thomas Covenant - the real Covenant, not the tormentor in Joan's mind - had taught Linden that no contempt or cruelty or hurt could defeat her if she did not choose to be defeated. The Despiser might assail and savage her as a predator attacked prey, but he could not deprive her of herself. Only her own weaknesses could wreak so much harm.

That she believed utterly.
Linden may not be defeated yet, but she isn’t winning this first battle with Foul: she seems to have taken the bait, and Foul is reeling her in. Foul’s visionary manipulation evokes Linden’s unguarded passions. And the second flash of wild magic ejects her from Joan’s visions as easily as the first flash thrust her into them.

She finds herself in a new vision, in the cavern of the One Tree. The vision has her rousing the Worm with wild magic, as she had often feared Covenant would do. Again, there are strange transpositions: it is Linden who would wreak the world’s destruction. And transpositions imply symbolic truth. For lo!
No! she cried in protest. No! This was more of Joan's madness; more of Lord Foul's malice. But it was not: it was prophecy. She had regained her health-sense and knew the truth.
Linden will destroy the Land. It is nothing less than prophecy. Remember this.

And one last vision. Foul has saved the best for last. This will be important.
Now she stood on a bluff overlooking a plain of rich life and ineffable loveliness. The ground below her undulated among hills and woodlands; luxuriant greenswards; streams delicate as crystal, cleansing as sunlight. Here and there, majestic Gilden trees lifted their boughs to the flawless sky, and vast oaks shed beneficent shade. Birds like reified song soared overhead while small animals and deer gamboled alertly among the woods. With her enhanced discernment, Linden beheld the vibrant health of the plain, its apt fecundity and kindliness. She might have been gazing down at Andelain, the essential treasure of the Land, born of its most necessary beauty; the incarnation of everything which she had striven to attain when she had fashioned the new Staff of Law.

This, too, felt like a form of prophecy.

As she drank in the gentle grandeur below her, however, a spot of wrongness like a chancre appeared amid the grasses. It was not large - not at first - but its intensity multiplied moment by moment as she studied it in dismay. Soon it seemed as bright as a glimpse into a furnace, incandescent, malefic, and brutally hot. And from it writhed forth a fiery beast like a serpent of magma; an avatar of lava with the insidious, squirming length of a snake and the massive jaws of a kraken. While she watched, appalled, the monster began to devour its surroundings as if earth and grass and trees were the flesh on which it fed.

And around it other chancres appeared. They, too, gathered intensity until they gave birth to more monsters which also feasted on the plain, consuming its loveliness in horrifying chunks. A handful of the creatures would destroy the entire vista in a matter of hours. But more of them clawed ravening from the earth, and still more, as calamitous as the Sunbane. Soon every blade and leaf of life would be gone. If the beasts were not stopped, they might eat through the world.
As a creation, these monsters fit the Land so well. They partake of the Nicor, and the Worm of the World’s End. They borrow a little from the fire-lions of Mount Thunder. They inherit a little character from the fertility of the Sunbane. They remind us of the fire “born among the foundations of the firmament” which jeopardized the Earth at Kastenessen’s Appointment. They are so appropriate that they’re scary.

This, too, felt like a form of prophecy. And that’s scary, too.

What’s the connection between these two final visions? Symbolism for Linden destroying the Earth. Then images of the Earth being destroyed. Without further information, you can only conclude that the monsters are somehow the result of Linden’s actions, that Linden has brought them forth.

Oh, Foul, what have you done! You’ve manipulated Linden magnificently. You’ve taken Linden’s feelings of love and guilt (which you, in the real world, engendered), and exacerbated them. Then you instilled in her the hardened recklessness of someone who knows as well as a prophecy that she will destroy the Earth no matter what she does. Will it be any wonder if Linden does anything other than rush out to save Jeremiah, heedless of the cost to the Land?

Of course, Foul’s parting shot is perfect in its devastation:
"It is enough,' Lord Foul said softly. "I am content." His tone wrapped around her caressingly, like the oil of cerements and death. "She will work my will, and I will be freed at last."

He may have been speaking to Joan. Or to turiya Herem.

Then the shock of her power rebounded against her, and she was flung away as if in rejection; as if the abyss itself sought to vomit her out.

For a moment longer, she could hear the Despiser. As his voice receded, he said, "Tell her that I have her son."
Tell her that I have her son. Oh, we know to whom he is speaking: he is speaking to Linden. “I speak to set the feet of my hearers upon the paths I design for them.”

It is enough. Foul is content. She will work his will. Made to be what the Despiser requires. There is nothing left but for Linden to wash up on the shores of the Land like a sea-battered mariner escaping the wreck of her life.
Once more she cried Jeremiah's name. For a moment, the sound echoed back to her, vacant and forlorn under the wide sky. Then it vanished into the sunlight and left no trace.
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

Wow, that was an impressive analysis.

I hadn't considered the possibility that Linden's visions were all a direct feed from Foul, instead of her getting a sneak peek (perhaps aided by wild magic) on what was going on. I'm still not entirely sure... but you've made me shift my perception a long way.

And great work tying in the earlier passages as well.

I used to be just scared that Linden was going down the wrong path. Now I'm <i>terrified</i> that she's on a greased slide to the bottom.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Excellent dissection!
Foul moves Covenant with words,
It's no coincidence that Covenant, like SRD, is an author. SRD has said that he thinks in words, not images - and Covenant would be more moved by words from Foul than images.
Indeed.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Wayfriend, great analysis! I love how you really got into interpreting everything and gave much more than just a synopsis.

I wonder how much of Linden's vision is prophecy, how much is Foul messing with her, and how much of what she (we?) thinks is hers, might be something Joan does. They both have white gold. Even the "tell her I have her son" could conceivably be about Joan (though I think it is for Linden).

The first time I listened to this chapter (I'd read it before that) all I could really remember was... bleakness. You cannot hope. Even in his "neutral" voice, Scott Brick reads this chapter with a subtle lifelessness in his tone that's chilling... Linden feeling her weakness, her emptiness at failing Jeremiah, at feeling inadequate to the Land's need. There actually are glimmers of hope in there, but they are few and far away.
This, too, felt like a form of prophecy. And that's scary, too.
<shudder>
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Great dissection WayFriend. I too like the tie-in of the quote from TWL.

I wonder, if we think that Joan+raver+WG=summoner, who is the summoner really? Is it Joan? But then, who summoned Joan? If it's the Raver, and the ravers can't die, will Linden perhaps never have to return to her apparent corpse?

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Bah well that sucked... I hit the preview.. then the back button and lost everything I had written.. :evil: And so I start over....

Very nicely done indeed Wayfriend!! :biggrin:

And it possessed Joan's ring. Turiya Herem could wield wild magic in the service of the Despiser. Coerced by the Raver, Joan had summoned others after her. Roger. Linden herself.
Something seems to be wrong here... How can Joan have summoned them to the land? In the past.. when someone is transposed to the land they are either unconscious or dead. She isnt either... now you could make a case that she has been unconcious a few times off and on over the past month. However when they are all standing there on Haven Farm, in the woods.. Joan appears to be there both mentally and physically with Roger, Linden, Sandy...etc etc.... So if she is there... how could she have summoned them to the land?

"It is enough,' Lord Foul said softly. "I am content." His tone wrapped around her caressingly, like the oil of cerements and death. "She will work my will, and I will be freed at last."
A passing thought... Foul doesnt appear to be talking to Linden.. Perhaps as in the Second Chronicles he doesnt talk directly to her for a reason. I paraphrase because I dont have the book with me Foul -"I havent spoken to you.. there has been no need.. there is none... I speak to set the hearers feet upon the path I set for them but your service has been certain from the start" So perhaps by not talking to her he is making sure that she hears what he needs for her to hear without supporting any idea that she might have that her choices matter.

And yet.....I also have the thought that perhaps he doesnt know she is eavesdropping.. Maybe the creator is giving her these visions...and allowing her to hear this exchange. Its very odd that he seems to be taking to someone else...and it seems important that he is doing so.
For a moment longer, she could hear the Despiser. As his voice receded, he said, "Tell her that I have her son."
Regardless of either of those ideas....who is he talking to? Joan? Roger? A raver? Or even worse could it be..
Spoiler
Thomas Covenant?
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Relayer wrote:There actually are glimmers of hope in there, but they are few and far away.
Please tell us what you think they are. If the other chronicles are any indication, then there are clues here to the resolution.
Avatar wrote:I wonder, if we think that Joan+raver+WG=summoner, who is the summoner really? Is it Joan? But then, who summoned Joan? If it's the Raver, and the ravers can't die, will Linden perhaps never have to return to her apparent corpse?
Linden won't have to return to the real world if she dies in the real world while being summoned. Which is what happened. So it doesn't really matter who summoned her, or whether or not they ever die. Which is why the complexity of this arrangement boggles me. I think it has more to do with ... this part I reply to next.
SoulBiter wrote:Something seems to be wrong here... How can Joan have summoned them to the land?
Here's how I see it. Joan was summoned to the land ... by someone. This happened just as she was being consumed by the lightning. This means she was summoned one or two minutes before Linden. In the Land, that would be six to twelve hours ahead of Linden. That's probably plenty of time to be fully possessed by a Raver, and initiate a second summoning ritual. The next one gets Jeremiah, Roger, and Linden.

Or ... it's nastier.

SRD says "rip open the barrier between worlds". And in the chapter earlier, which Syl dissected, there were plenty of comments about the plethora of images involving reality altering. And then there was the "sparkling" with was significantly described at the place where the summoning occured. (!Damn! I just connected it!)

It may be that, this time, the summoning was not accomplished in the usual way. Instead of reaching reaching through the barrier and plucking out one or two souls ... the barrier is ripped open, reality is tipped on its side and shaken hard, and a bunch of bodies pour out. Instead of working with "natural" forces, the whole thing is brute forced.

What did I just connect? Why, that the sparkling at the summoning site reminds me of ceasures. Perhaps ceasures were involved in the process of ripping open the barrier. (If Joan created a ceasure, isn't it "her" ceasure to weild? Is that why she's involved in the summoning?)

The other thing that leads me here is my suspicion that the real world is in apocolyptic danger this time, as well as the world of the Land.

So ... back to Joan. It may be that this brute force summoning process didn't require Joan to be in the Land, or be unconscious in our world. Perhaps she did it right there, where she was. She was screaming make it stop, someone or something was coercing her.
SoulBiter wrote:Foul doesnt appear to be talking to Linden.. Perhaps as in the Second Chronicles he doesnt talk directly to her for a reason.
I always assumed that there simply was no need to speak to her the first time. Or that his planning involved working on Covenant, which means he couldn't do anything with Linden at the same time. I don't think that there's any mysterious issue which prevents or deters Foul from speaking with Linden directly. He did it quite nicely in WGW, for one example.

I think we will have an answer when someone walks up to Linden and says, hey, Foul said to tell you, he's got your son. :wink:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Linden won't have to return to the real world if she dies in the real world while being summoned. Which is what happened.
I'm not convinced that Linden is dead in the real world. I'm not saying that I think she'll survive the Last Chronicles and return to the real world, or that she won't die in the real world later on. But there's nothing that points to a known fact that she is already dead. When Covenant sent Linden back to the real world at the One Tree, he was still alive at that point.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Wayfriend wrote:
Relayer wrote:There actually are glimmers of hope in there, but they are few and far away.
Please tell us what you think they are. If the other chronicles are any indication, then there are clues here to the resolution.
Let me go read/listen to it again later and I'll have a better answer, but what comes to mind right now is Linden thinking how
no contempt or cruelty or hurt could defeat her if she did not choose to be defeated. The Despiser ... could not deprive her of herself. Only her own weaknesses could wreak so much harm.
... as long as she remembers who she is -- as long as she is true, there is hope. I thought there was more that I'll try to find. Other than that, I agree with you, as we've discussed in other threads. Just because she can hope, doesn't mean that she'll succeed or that the Land will endure. Or, her sense of herself might mean saving Jeremiah at all costs.

Wayfriend wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:Foul doesnt appear to be talking to Linden.. Perhaps as in the Second Chronicles he doesnt talk directly to her for a reason.
I think we will have an answer when someone walks up to Linden and says, hey, Foul said to tell you, he's got your son. :wink:
I agree, he doesn't appear to be talking to Linden, that's why we can't really be sure that he means "Tell Linden that I have Jeremiah" ... it could just as easily be Joan/Roger, or even someone else. But I think he does mean Linden, because I'm guessing you mean that
Spoiler
...after leaving Mithil Stonedown, doesn't Foul (through Anele) tell Linden that he has her son?

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Wayfriend wrote:
I don't think that there's any mysterious issue which prevents or deters Foul from speaking with Linden directly. He did it quite nicely in WGW, for one example.

I agree with you.. there is no mysterious issue which prevents or deters Foul from speaking directly with Linden. Thats why I wonder why he doesnt talk to her directly. Instead he seems to be talking to someone else and giving instructions to someone else. Thats why Im wondering if Foul even realizes she is listening in at this point or if someone or something else has allowed her to eavesdrop on this.
Relayer wrote: But I think he does mean Linden, because I'm guessing you mean that
Spoiler
...after leaving Mithil Stonedown, doesn't Foul (through Anele) tell Linden that he has her son?
However why would Foul tell someone else "tell her I have her son"
Spoiler
and then turn around and through Anele tell her he has her son.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

SoulBiter wrote:However why would Foul tell someone else "tell her I have her son"
Spoiler
and then turn around and through Anele tell her he has her son.
SB, that's a good point.
Spoiler
Maybe Foul didn't realize he would have the chance to tell her "directly"?
The mystery deepens! :twisted:

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Might it not be as simple as this: It is Raver/Joan who is summoning Linden, and providing her with visions. Foul is looking on. At the end, Foul says to Raver/Joan, okay, that's enough, tell her I have her son. Raver/Joan simply passes on the message by letting Linden hear what Foul said.

This was the impression that I've always had. That whoever Foul was speaking to, was passing on the message by letting Linden hear Foul's words.

This has some points of merit.

First, it's sending a vision instead of telling. As I've strongly suggested (okay, like hitting you over the head with a folding chair), there seems to be a plan to provide visions rather than speak. It would break the whole pattern if someone spoke to her directly at that point.

Second, consider Foul's relationship to the summoner. In LFB, he was helping Drool, so Drool got to speak to Covenant first. Foul had to drag Covenant off to monolog him. In TIW and TPTP, Foul made no appearance at the summonsings, which were done by Mhoram and Trell+Foamfollower, respectively.

So Foul has no automatic ability to intrude on someone's summoning journey. In TWL, he was the summoner himself, so he got a chance to monolog Covenant again. But, while he was busy doing that, no one got to talk to Linden.

So now, in Runes, Raver/Joan is the summoner. Foul is probably looking on, but it is not his summoning. So he's not the one providing the visions. But he's looking on, giving advice, watching it unfold. (Maybe he's busy talking to Roger...)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Might it not be as simple as this: It is Raver/Joan who is summoning Linden, and providing her with visions. Foul is looking on. At the end, Foul says to Raver/Joan, okay, that's enough, tell her I have her son. Raver/Joan simply passes on the message by letting Linden hear what Foul said.
this is how I've always interpreted this as well.
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

dlbpharmd wrote:
this is how I've always interpreted this as well.
That's generally how I've understood it as well.
Spoiler
About Foul telling Linden directly later, I have to go back and look at the chapter again. My general impression was that he didn't mention that until <i>she</i> brought it up first, thereby giving him valuable information, but I need to go back and see if I'm remembering the text rightly.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
Avytaya
Stonedownor

Post by Avytaya »

Excellent dissection Wayfriend. I like the parallels to the previous Chrons. Great analysis for a disorienting chapter! Don't really have additional insight to add.
-Avy
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Yes, Avy, it's all rather disorienting. You might say the entire book is disorienting...and disturbing. It's way too early in the Last Chrons for me to try and connect the dots. That's why I'm finding it a bit hard myself to add anything worthy to the discussion. I'm not terribly good at detecting clues in stories, unlike our sleuth sniffer Wayfriend. To mix metaphors, while we're grasping at straws, he's grabbing the bull by the horns. :)
Wayfriend wrote:The other thing that leads me here is my suspicion that the real world is in apocolyptic danger this time, as well as the world of the Land.
8O Okay, you're officially scaring me. I had always been under the assumption that our world - the "real" world - was more or less "safe" from whatever cosmic calamity occurred in the Land's universe. But if the two "realities" are indeed blending (or colliding?), then yeah, I guess we may be in trouble. Let me fetch my security blanket...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Does this mean that the end of the world will happen in 2013?
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Re: RUNES OF THE EARTH - Part One Chapter 1: "I am cont

Post by SoulBiter »

Wayfriend wrote: But this is not what happens for Linden; this time, in this Chronicles, Linden receives strange visions instead, visions seemingly triggered by the spark of wild magic.

The first vision is of Joan. Joan in the bed in Haven Farm, raking Covenant’s flesh. Then of Joan in a hospital bed, with Linden beside her. Then a fanatic preaching to Joan of expiation.

But the visions are not exactly Joan’s memories: there are strange transpositions. Linden becomes Joan; Jeremiah seems to be the preacher; Covenant replaces Roger as Joan’s son. So, then, these visions are not literal; they are symbolic; they are not true, but they convey meaning. They are meant to move Linden, to provoke her.
As I was re-reading this I thought about the symbolism in this that I had missed until Wayfriend pointed it out... Some things that came to mind:

Linden becomes Joan;

Linden being forced to become something she doesnt want to be. A victim

Jeremiah seems to be the preacher;

The preacher led Joan to do things.. in return for expiation.
One of the explanations of Expiation is:

Guilt is said to be expiated when it is visited with punishment falling on a substitute. Expiation is made for our sins when they are punished not in ourselves but in another who consents to stand in our room.

The symbolism here could be... "Jeremiah as the preacher" representing being led to do things.. to expiate Lindens guilt for letting him get captured....for her perceived failures.

Covenant replaces Roger as Joan’s son.

I almost hate to delve into this symbol.. Does this mean Covenant will betray Linden while claiming he is trying to save her (AKA Roger and Joan)?
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Re: RUNES OF THE EARTH - Part One Chapter 1: "I am cont

Post by variol son »

Wayfriend wrote:Linden will destroy the Land. It is nothing less than prophecy. Remember this.
Yet Foul's words to Covenant at the start of the first chronicles were also nothing less than prophecy, and they were not fulfilled. Why? Ultimately because of who Covenant was. The situation is dark, yes, but hope hasn't entirely given way to despair. Not yet.

I am reminded of Mhoram's words to Covenant in Andelain:
Mhoram wrote:Remember that he seeks always to mislead you. It boots nothing to avoid his snares, for they are ever beset with other snares, and life and death are too intimately intergrown to be severed from each other. But it is necessary to comprehend them, so that they may be mastered.
Linden can try to second-guess Foul all she likes, but the only real option she has is to do just what Covenant realised he had to do in the second chronicles - move forward until she reaches the point when who she is will make all the difference. At this point, because she was chosen by bother the Creator and the Despiser for the same reasons, she will either save or damn.

In this way, seeking to save Jeremiah could possibly be seen as a good thing. Yes, it is an action that could serve despite, but Linden thought the same thing of Covenant's decision to surrender his ring and look how that turned out.

As to the second part of Mhoram's quote, in this case time has become entwined with life and death, so it is possible that it also must be comprehended in order to be mastered.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I think we're missing some things here. I like the direction Relayer's first post was going. There's a HUGE parallel between Joan and Linden, so big that I'm not sure what to make of it. They are both women who loved Covenant. They are both women who have a white gold ring. They both have a son which they tried to protect . . . leading to dire consequences: Joan tried to protect young Roger from the danger of leprosy, while Linden is trying to protect Jeremiah from Lord Foul. Joan's attempts at maternal protection led to her losing her mind, Lord Foul (or a Raver) possessing her, taking Roger into a cult which may have mentally destablized him, and finally, two translations into the Land. While Linden's protection/rescue of her son leads to . . . well, we'll have to RAFO!

Added to this amazingly detailed parallel is the narrative device of having Linden experience others' memories. In fact, she is having her identity "smeared" between people. And the identities of others are being "smeared" as well--Linden becoming Joan, Roger becoming Covenant, the preacher becoming Jeremiah, Linden watching herself from Joan's perspective in the hospital speaking Roger's words.

"Compulsory as hallucinations, times and places and identities reeled through her."
Elsewhere we have discussed the significance of the Law of Identity . . . has this Law been broken? Did Linden break it by taking Covenant's ring at the end of WGW? This Law is mentioned by Donaldson (in the GI) always in reference to someone else using Covenant's ring--for instance, Hile Troy's attempt in TIW. It is significant in this chapter that the white gold ring ONLY responds to Linden after: "She had fallen so far from herself that Covenant's ring responded." She fell away from herself. Why is that little detail added? It could easily have been left out (in fact, I'd bet not many even noticed it :) ).

During these "hallucinations," we first see Joan spilling/drinking Covenant's blood. Then we see Linden/Roger scornfully telling her she can bear it, that's what she does. (Why is Roger scornful about this? He seems to resent her bearing it, as if it were a choice which he doesn't doesn't approve. As if her bearing this pain were part of a plan . . . a plan which failed?) Then she tells him:
He goes somewhere . . . I know he does . . . It's a powerful place. He matters there. He makes a difference. Everyone makes a difference. I have to go there. I have to find that place.

If I fail, you'll have to take my place.

What if Joan has been trying to get to the Land since before TWL? And Covenant took her place that first time, thwarting her plan? That was her failure, the failure which necessitates Roger now taking her place. The pain she bears is somehow "keeping the door open," allowing all this to be possible.

What if all this is about making restitution with Covenant? Joan has been trying since the time Roger was 10 to go into the Land to somehow help Covenant. (Help him how?) The Roger/Covenant preacher says to her:
"You failed him. You broke your vows. you abandoned him when he needed you most."
And then this preacher "could have been Jeremiah," giving Linden the same judgement: she abandoned him when he needed her the most. Linden is making connections between her own guilt and Joan's guilt. It is not coincidence that Linden's motivation in this book is all about her son. That's exactly the same thing that led Joan to fail. (I know, I bitched about this very point during the last chapter dissection, but it's starting to grow on me.)
"You must expiate . . . sacrifice . . . only the man you betrayed can expiate for you."
Which, of course, Covenant does at the beginning of TWL. So apparently, Joan knew this must happen all along. Her making restitution somehow involved allowing Covenant to expiate for her. This was all planned out long ago.

But then Covenant (or his son) turns his back on Joan, turns away in contempt. This reaction causes Linden to stare after him with "conflagration in her eyes." She doesn't like it. She doesn't think Joan deserves this kind of condemnation, even from Joan herself. She only "betrayed her own heart." Fear undermined her, fear for herself and her son. [It's a little disturbing that Linden relates so easily to this failure.] And then, "Inspired by passion and flame, Linden refused to endure it."

So we have a difference between Joan and Linden. "Bearing it" is what Joan does. "Refusing to endure it" is what Linden does. Are these two passages talking about the same thing? Is what Joan "bears" her own guilt? Which response is more authentic? Is Linden's refusal to bear guilt and judgement what gets her into trouble? Is Joan's self-sacrifice and acceptance more like Covenant's solution, even though it seems eerie and scary to us right now?

It is right after this that we are treated with the vision of the One Tree and Linden waking the Worm. So perhaps her "refusal" to be weak is the danger.
"Only her own weaknesses could wreak so much harm. That she believed utterly."
Anytime someone believes something "utterly," I get scared. Absolutism gets people in trouble in the Land (Haruchai, the Giants, Oath of Peace, etc.). Perhaps her "utter" conviction that only her own weakness could wreak harm is 100 degrees wrong.
"In her hands, she held more power than she could comprehend or control; and with it she lashed out in a frenzy of desperation, seeking to relaim her son, and achieving only cataclysm.

[snip]

If she did not quail or flee, this augury could come to pass."
Again, we have evidence that her unwillingness to be weak, to "quail or flee," is the problem. She thinks her newfound strength of the "new Linden" (post-2nd Chronicles) is something positive and True. But on the previous page (p84), SRD writes: "The woman she had once been would have quailed and fled." It seems to imply that the woman she once was wouldn't make the mistakes which have the potential to rouse the Worm. "But that Linden Avery was gone, unmade by Covenant's love and the Land's need."

This reminds me of:
". . . you are being forged as iron is forged to achieve the ruin of the Earth . . . "
It wasn't the Raver forging her. It was Covenant. Her moral victory , her transcending the "old Linden" was what made her into the person who could threaten the Earth.
"She had lost her son, and would dare any devastation to win him back. . . If Lord Foul believed that she could be daunted--"
!!!! Foul doesn't want her to be daunted, he wants her to be the brave Linden who doesn't quail and flee!! Ah, Linden! This is so cruel.

As sick as it sounds, I think she may have something to learn from Joan.

So the question is: what's the relationship between these two women? Are they merely polar opposites? Advisaries? Or more like counterparts? Two sides of "the same woman?"

Return to “Last Chronicles”