Bacon

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Denny do milkshakes?????
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Ah! No, this Denny's.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

see, my Denny was a byword for sausages/bacon etc when i was growing up (think guinness for stout) (and look back in this thread, rasher=bacon)

nice coincidence though :lol:
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Today I found a BLT to give competition to the BLT's Lucimay and I used to get when we would do laundry together and hang out at the cafe. I got it at Andersen's Bakery. I had it on toasted 9 grain and it was delicious. Bacon was perfectly crispy, thin sliced but lots of it and they double deckered the sandwich like a club sandwich and the tomatoes and lettuce were perfect and it came with a bit of regular mayo and also sweet pickle thousand island spread. YUMMERS IN MY TUMMERS!
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

I've been eating a lot of noodles lately, which gave me an idea for making bacon sandwiches.

I used one of the soup base packets with hot water in a bowl, added a clove or two of garlic, and then after removing the fat placed the bacon in the bowl covering it with (peirced) clingfilm. 3 minutes in the microwave. One broiled and juicy bacon butty.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Bacon sundae: Vanilla soft serve with fudge, caramel, bacon crumbles and a piece of bacon. The sundae has 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar. Would you try it? Supposedly Burger King's summer menu starts tomorrow - and this "whopper" of a sundae is on it.
Burger King bets on bacon sundae for summertime

NEW YORK — Burger King wants to lure customers this summer with a barbecue party - and a bacon sundae.

The world's second biggest hamburger chain on Thursday is launching several pork, beef and chicken sandwiches as limited time offers. And for a sweet ending, the company is also offering a bacon sundae - vanilla soft serve with fudge, caramel, bacon crumbles and a piece of bacon - that started in Nashville, Tenn. earlier this year.

The salty-sweet dessert clocks in at 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar.

The limited-time items are Burger King's latest push to win back customers with a revived menu and reverse sliding market share, an effort that started soon after the company was taken private by the private equity firm 3G Capital in late 2010.

Earlier this year, Burger King launched its biggest-ever menu expansion including fruit smoothies, snack wraps and new salads. The items were intended to go after a broader audience of moms and families, a shift from the chain's previous strategy of courting young men with calorie bombs.

Core menu items, such as French fries and the Whopper, have also been tweaked as part of the company's efforts to improve food quality. Burger King is trying to underscore its own focus on ingredients with a new tag line, "Taste Is King," which replaces "Have It Your Way." A new ad has been celebrating summer barbecues to highlight the chain's emphasis on fire-grilling burgers. The new summer items will be featured in ads starting Thursday.

This month, 3G plans to take Burger King public on the New York Stock Exchange.

Wendy's is also revamping its menu to improve ingredients and recast itself as a higher-end burger chain. The makeovers by the hamburger giants come at a time when the traditional fast-food chains are seeing more competition from smaller players such as Five Guys Burgers and Smashburger that offer higher-quality food and alternatives such as Subway.

Burger King isn't the only fast-food chain that's trying to draw attention with unusual offerings. Taco Bell earlier this year introduced its tacos with Doritos shells and a "nacho burrito" that includes corn chips.

The rest of Burger King's summer menu includes:

-Memphis Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich.

-Carolina BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.

-Texas BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.

-Sweet potato fries.

-Frozen Lemonade.

The items will be available through the summer or while supplies last.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

want blt and tomato soup.

will have to use a package of my diet soup to make bread. (it will be tomato bread!)

then turkey bacon.

some mustard.

spinach instead of lettuce and some tomato slices.

then a package of tomato soup for the soup.

i will ask julie for this for dinner.

oh, i will spice up th etomato soup and throw in come celery as well.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Bacon

Post by peter »

Stonemaybe wrote:How do you like your bacon?

For me, bacon is two completely different foods.

The first, lying on a plate, even if accompanied by say a full fried breakfast, is an insipid thing.

Put it between two pieces of bread, however, and it becomes a thing of glory, ambrosia if accompanied by a couple of pickled onions and ketchup (or even HP), glass of milk on the side.

And even better, 'medallions'! Using these, the whole slice of bacon doesn't come out of your sandwich when you take a bite. The ultimate gastronomic delight!
Sonemaybe - I have to say that you are definitely onto the right track; a bacon sandwich is the closest thing to gastronomic heaven you can get and I have yet to eat anything from the kitchens of a professional restaurant, no matter how good, that comes close to it. But after this we differ ;) . A truly divine bacon sandwhich will be made with 'streaky' bacon, fried to a golden crispness (that can never be achieved with back bacon) and then served with english mustard as the accompaniment. It might be that some good quality grated cheese is added but even this is gilding the lily. The hot, buttery, mustardy juices will run between yor fingers and the crisp bacon will add it's classic salty taste and in short you will be in heaven!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

This is right thinking.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

That's brilliant!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

rdhopeca wrote:Campfire bacon!!

www.zestuous.com/2013/11/campfire-bacon/ 8O :biggrin:

THIS is just too cool!
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

The one thing I miss moving from the UK to the US is the kind of bacon that you get in the UK - in the US it's almost 50% fat, but in the UK it's probably about 10% fat. Also, it's not cooked for quite so long and so rather than being crispy it's moist and seems to have so much more flavor.

Got to get at least one breakfast in a greasy spoon every time I go back.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I like fatty bacon, but I also always order mine "limp." And I do send it back if I can't bend it back and forth when I pick up a slice.

The only times I like crispy bacon are either on a BLAT or crumbled for salad and baked potatoes.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Since being diagnosed with a cholesterol condition 10 years ago, I rarely eat pork bacon, and instead opt for turkey bacon instead. But, I've gotten used to it and like it just fine these days.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I have an unhealthy obsession with bacon and for that reason I tend to deliberately avoid it from time to time but eventually I am forced to give in.
Occasionally I go through a phase where I alternately make my own take on a Club Sandwich that includes a generous amount of bacon and my old friend the BLT and I keep this up for a couple of days until I run out of bacon. I mean after the bacon is gone what's the point?

Not long ago I was introduced to Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf. My wife and I were visiting a small town in North Florida and stopped at a restaurant for lunch. The moment I saw it listed on the menu I was stunned. I of course ordered it and...OMG!!!!!

Naturally when we went back to the same restaurant a few months later they had taken it off the menu. :cry:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

It's easy enough to do at home, TOM...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Did your recipe link not get posted, Gracious Concierge, or did you leave that as an exercise for the reader?

Yeah, yeah. Make meatloaf, wrap in bacon, bake, serve, call EMTs...
:roll:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I would never profane my bacon by wrapping it around a meatloaf.

Wrap it around something good, like cherries. Or a chicken breast stuffed with cheese.

--A

Return to “The Galley”