Worst Book Ever

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

ussusimiel wrote:With Joyce this means that all of his work is full of Irish-English that accurately reflects much of the way we still speak today. Joyce is also inclined to include and play on Gaelic words and as Gaelic is still compulsory in school, most Irish people will get at least some of that wordplay. There are also the placenames (which are always important in Ireland), the names of places in Dublin and around the country turn up consistently throughout Finnegan's Wake especially.

With Yeats much the same applies, he invokes placenames regularly and he also uses Celtic myths and stories that again are regularly taught as part of our schooling. It's not necessarily the understanding of these things as the immersion and the feeling of ownership of them that is a part of being Irish. I have no doubt it is the same experience for an English person reading Larkin or Betjeman.

u.
I think I found Yeats harder to read than Joyce though (quick background, I grew up in southern England with an English mother and Northern Irish father and have never spent any extended time either north or south of the border in Ireland), and that's probably because there are some assumptions in Yeats that the reader has at least some understanding of the myths.

With Joyce there is less of that, but his works are certainly steeped in the culture of the Ireland of his day.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Were you 12 yo as well Av? ;)

Orlion, could you explain what you mean by 'form' in the sense you use it above. [I need all the help I can get in this area! :D.]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Le Pétermane wrote:
Orlion, could you explain what you mean by 'form' in the sense you use it above. [I need all the help I can get in this area! :D.]
I could.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

But apparently, he won't. :lol:
Orlion wrote:Life of Pi was pure, idiotic dribble. It seems I am usually pretty good at finding stuff I like to read, but when I decide to check what others like or do something like a book club, it's garbage! All garbage! :P
Av wrote:Haha, I thought it sucked too. :D
It's unanimous, then. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Le Pétermane wrote:Were you 12 yo as well Av? ;)
When I read Portrait of the Artist? I think I was about 13 as it happens. (I wasn't referring to it when I said it sucked though.) I struggled with it, but it did give me an idea for a series of poems, and for several years following I wrote a few, all titled "Portrait of a..." something. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Orlion wrote:
Le Pétermane wrote:
I could.
.....have danced all night?.........have been a contender?

Ahhh, have cared less!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

IDK, lucked out and pretty much have never read a book I didn't like enough. Except... maybe that's not how I'm seeing the question...

There was one book, I got really angry about it for some reason and refused to continue it, or the series it was in. I don't think it was necessarily terribly written or anything, just, it made me mad, and other books have too, probably, but this one I stopped reading anyway.

... Somewhat tongue-in-cheek: I recently had to go through the IRS booklet about the Shared Responsibility Payment, and maybe I was too blazed or something but it felt like some stupid Choose-Your-Own-Adventure thing, like you seemingly had to jump back and forth between these steps and tables and subtables or whatever. Took me forever to figure out how to come up with a number for the SRP. So, maybe the "worst booklet" I've read haha.

For some reason The Vorhh(sp.?) is like the Tom Bombadil sections of TFOTR, for me, I've tried twice to read it and just can't get anywhere. It seems like the opening involves someone jerking off right before he dies, but IDK.

I feel like if I read Mein Kampf, I'd find something about it, stylistically as well as content-wise, to be among the worst of any book I'd read. But who knows, IDK, I feel sorta the same about "Worlds In Collision" or w/e by Velitovsky(?), the book about the fringe pseudo-theory or something about Earth colliding with other planets in the distant past (I believe was the thesis). And that's a book I've actually read parts of, IIRC.

Speaking of pseudoscience, there was one YE-creationist "school textbook" a coworker at a junior college had me read one time, and the quote-manipulation in it right p**sed me off, I don't think I finished that one, either.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Any book I started reading that I found to be lousy was quickly forgotten, including the title.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

aliantha wrote:But apparently, he won't. :lol:
Orlion wrote:Life of Pi was pure, idiotic dribble. It seems I am usually pretty good at finding stuff I like to read, but when I decide to check what others like or do something like a book club, it's garbage! All garbage! :P
Av wrote:Haha, I thought it sucked too. :D
It's unanimous, then. :lol:
Question: Do you think you would have hated it if it hadn't been so vaunted as the Most Amazing Book Ever?

I was unimpressed, although I liked the tone of the writing and the aspect that you weren't entirely sure what was real and what was hallucination... other than that it was just fairly forgettable.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I thought it won an award or something? :?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

So did The English Patient and Last Orders... ;)
deer of the dawn wrote:Question: Do you think you would have hated it if it hadn't been so vaunted as the Most Amazing Book Ever?
I dunno, it probably contributed to my dislike, but I would have preferred the real story of being shipwrecked and having to eat people etc. than the hallucination that made it all "Disney."

--A
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

I can't really remember, but I guess the books I liked least were some works by Victorian novelist Marie Corelli. I sort of liked parts of The Soul of Lilith, but the book's so dated that it just seems strange to a modern reader. It isn't like HG Wells where you can still enjoy War of the Worlds. I also read another book by her (well really only the first 20% or so of the book because it was too goddamn boring...) called Life Everlasting.

"Soul of Lilith" was about some Turkish guy living in London who was running an occult experiment where he kept a teenage girl's body "alive" (she died when she was 8 years old) and communicates with her soul that is still bound to the body. He commands the soul to explore other planes of existence. I think he gets in an argument with a priest or bishop regarding the ethics of his experiment. I kind of lost interest after that point.

"Life Everlasting" was about some woman who was dying (apparently although she seemed healthy enough) and met some freaky portrait artist who promised her a form of immortality (quite literally) if he painted her. It was so dull I couldn't continue.

George Orwell's 1984 was also a book I would never read again. While it was well-written and served to make a political point (communism sucks), it was so damn depressing (and not in a particularly "good" way). I am pretty sure I needed therapy after reading that book as a teen.

An honorable mention for a recent book that I didn't like and won't ever finish is The Darkling Child by Terry Brooks. It's the second book in trilogy of "stand-alone" YA novels.

The first book was readable (but not really memorable -- just "meh") but had some creepy scenes of some outlaw wizard perving on the 15-year-old sister of the protagonist. Things like kidnapping her (twice...for fuck's sake) after knocking her unconscious and flying her over creation to his dark lair (a brothel called "DARK HOUSE"... so edgy). He strips her naked and ties her "spread-eagled" to a bed (Brooks' own words). When she comes to, he fucks with her by rubbing his hand up her hip, admiring her body, and then offering her a job (repeatedly) as a whore in his brothel specifically aimed at society's worst perverts.

The second book follows the characters 5 years later. Same bad guy is on the loose (he killed a wizard-cop and has to go into hiding). He tries to get a teenage boy (with magical powers) on his side by having a 15-year-old girl he hired make him fall in love with her by repeatedly sleeping with him. Oh and the bad-guy wizard and the girl made a contract that she would marry him "when she's old enough and they feel it's the right time" if he teaches her magic.

The boy falls head-over-heels for her and becomes the submissive one in the relationship. What follows is so much teenage angst and drama that I literally wanted to puke.

And do you want to know the most ridiculous part of the story? The boy's magic involves screaming at people until they explode into ground beef and blood stains. "Reeeeee"
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Damn Nanothnir, your description of Soul of Lilith has almost got me hooked! I want to read that book! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

peter wrote:Damn Nanothnir, your description of Soul of Lilith has almost got me hooked! I want to read that book! :lol:
The book wasn't bad, but the whole Victorian aspect of it just rubbed me the wrong way. I actually enjoyed the whole supernatural element of it.

Post by Avatar »

Nanothnir wrote: George Orwell's 1984 was also a book I would never read again. While it was well-written and served to make a political point (communism sucks), it was so damn depressing (and not in a particularly "good" way). I am pretty sure I needed therapy after reading that book as a teen.
I've read it many times...one of the scariest horror stories ever. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

We did a joint read of it back to back with Brave New World Av. That was a good juxtaposition!

Now I love that Victorian essence that pervades writing of the period - it's probably why steampunk hit a ready made spot in me as well.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Don't worry, a quick reading of Animal Farm will fix you right up after finishing 1984.

Wait...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Last read it when I was 14 in English class at school; fair to say that I wasn't at my most receptive age for literature,but even then could see something in the book worth pursuing. Needless to say I never did! :roll:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Horrim Carabal wrote:Don't worry, a quick reading of Animal Farm will fix you right up after finishing 1984.

Wait...
:LOLS:

1984 was worse though. (I mean more horrifying anyway.)

I found the end of Animal Farm more ironic than frightening.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ewwww Animal Farm .. just disturbing :(
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General Literature Discussion”