What's for dinner?

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Just as I always serve sausage on February 2, I always serve some sort of pie on March 14. Keto made it a bit more challenging this year, but a chicken pot pie with a crust of almond and chia flours is in the oven. I am confident of the filling -- we shall see how the crust crisps up...or if it doesn't even hang together.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh, look at you just itching for someone to ask why you always make sausage on February 2nd. I know why, but I won't ruin it for others.

Let the games begin.
Last edited by Menolly on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Hi there, your Gracious Modship! :grinlove:

I kinda assumed my fellow Watchers didn't need that punch line out loud, but it anyone wants to know why sausage on 2/2 or pie on 3/14, feel free to ask here or via PM. Yes, I really do these things every year. Is that any more perseverative than a traditionally-mandated feast for some other day I'll not name? ;)

The chicken pot pie turned out pretty well, but with some potential improvements evident.

Filling (chicken, veggies, broth,cream) was tasty and still moist, but reduced further than it ought. It wasn't quite saucy enough. Crust (almond and chia flours with egg white and sour cream) was rolled out a bit too thin, so it broke when transferred onto the filled baking pan, but the finished crust on the dish was nicely risen and crisped, with good flavor.

At least that's my take, as informed by Dam-sel and Menolly's feedback on the dish. What didn't get eaten tonight was claimed by Dam-sel for her lunch tomorrow. There seems to be some following among her fellow educators to keep track of the various planned-over meals she brings in for lunch.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

That sounds delicious 😋 I love a good chicken pot pie 🥧😋 did you serve it with a mash?

To me its the perfect accompaniment with a savoury pastry pie

Do we HAVE to PM you to discover the mystery of the annual banger and pot pie feast??
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Nah, Sky.

You can ask here, or even take a guess.

I suspect, given how dates are written in the US, that today's tradition may not be top of mind elsewhere in the world. I can supply a hint, though...

From 2015

I also suspect February 2nd's tradition is strictly an American custom. But, there was a Bill Murray movie regarding the topic.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I got it now ♥️ But yes we neither have groundhogs or Pi days .. however, as it happens Trev made a delicious blackberry and apple pie 🥧 from homegrown blackberries and apples ... coincidentally on Pi day lol 😂
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Passover starts tomorrow, so pasta tonight!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

While I made pasta for Menolly and Dam-sel, I had nothing today but clear liquids -- broth, jello, iced tea, etc.

Medical procedure in the morning...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

All the best for your morning procedure .. hope it all goes well and its not too invasive.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Quite invasive actually. Colonoscopy.

It's behind me now, so to speak.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Very nasty 😬 hope it all went well, in the end 😉
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm making a $1 dinner tonight. I got 4 chicken wings and a quarter pound of celery sticks for 87 cents. In the pantry I have baking powder, kosher salt, and Frank's Red Hot. In the refrigerator is blue cheese dressing and butter.

Chicken wings were $1.72 minus a $1.25 digital coupon. Celery sticks were 40 cents. Total spent at store was 87 cents.

Wings split in half with tips tossed in to bone bag for stock. Flats and drums patted dry, dusted with kosher sea salt and baking powder, and set on a rack overnight. Will air fry in the air fryer oven.

Celery will be washed and julienned, as that is easier for me with my dentures.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Wow 😯 and looks good too.

Definitely couldnt make that here for 87 cents.

We havent had lasagne for months .. its usually a meal we make when the kids are all home ... as its a big tray of food ... but we decided its ok to make it just for the two of us.

Weve been eating it all week .. the first night with garlic bread, last night with salad from our garden, tonight with chips, we probably have another day at least. 😂😂😂

🤷‍♀️ But yum yum yum.

Though I think I put too much cheese in it this time 🤔
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Skyweir wrote:Though I tjink I put too much cheese in it this time 🤔
Oh! A new oxymoron to join Stonemaybe's "Too much garlic!"

"Too much cheese!" ;)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sorry, there is definitely such a thing as too much garlic. :D And for years, the GF didn't believe me, until one night a few months ago...she hasn't eaten garlic since. :D

(For me it was a roasted garlic kick we went on once...just overdid it and went off the stuff.)

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

😂😂😂 there can definitely be too much of any good thing lol 😂

Last nights dinner was a giant chocolate chip cookie and apple pie and ice cream 🤷‍♀️ I passed on the lasagne 😉

Not like theres not more for tonight lol 😂
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Last night was homemade French Onion soup using my homemade dark chicken stock. It was so rich, I think next time I'll cut the stock with a 3:1 ratio of dark stock to my homemade Jewish Penicillin.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I made a feisty guacamole since I got a Costco bag of avocados and didn't put them in the fridge so they ripened all at once. Maybe I'll make some nachos tomorrow. I still have a giant amount of guacamole and that's after pawning half the avocados off on my friend Teresa.
8)
Av - I roast garlic in large batches and keep it in the fridge for cooking. I agree that there is such a thing as too much cheese and too much garlic. Rigel made mashed potatoes one night and used half the jar of roast garlic so it literally was like eating mashed roasted garlic. I had a piece of pizza from Costco over the weekend and it was so loaded with cheese that I could barely eat it and it got cold quick and it all congealed and turned to rubber. Too much cheese!
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yesterday SD, dam-sel, and I went to the matinee of the National Touring production of Frozen at the Paramount Theater in downtown Seattle. I enjoyed it very much.

Afterwards, dam-sel drove up to Kirkland and we had an early dinner at Alta Healthy Cafe. The atmosphere is very basic: bare bones tables and chairs with a few Eastern diet books lining the walls for purchase. It's located on the bottom floor of a bargain hotel.

The service is a bit spotty: if you order soup or appetizers along with your entree, everything tends to come out at once; even the entrees coming out before the soup or appetizers. We have decided to order in courses from now on, calling the server over about midway through finishing each course.

But, the execution of the food is worth it. Last night we started with Szhechuan Wonton Soup, made mild in heat. It still had plenty of kick, and they leave chili flakes in chili oil on the table as a matter of course. I asked for some black vinegar to add to the soup as well; it's a nice touch.

We skipped an appetizer. dam-sel had Spicy Cilantro Chicken, seasoned mild. SD had Chili Pepper Shredded Pork. I don't think he specified a heat level, but the green chili peppers had some kick. I chose ma pao tofu with pork for my entree. I normally get it at 5 stars heat, but have noticed my tolerance for hot food to fluctuate lately, so ordered it at 3 stars, or medium. And again, the chili oil is on the table. I did add a few extra drops to the dish.

Along with our entrees, we ordered eggplant in garlic sauce. For my taste buds, perfection! Although I did add a few drops of chili oil to that as well.

Steamed white rice and Green tea to sip, and I was happy.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Enjoying Egyptian rice, it's absolutely delicious.
This weekend I've been trying some variations on tradational Koshari, with masala tea.

Return to “The Galley”