The Lees of Laughter's End - New B&KB Novella!

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

I'm Murrin
Are you?

The Lees of Laughter's End - New B&KB Novella!

Post by I'm Murrin »

PS Publishing have announced the next novella in Erikson's series about Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, two necromancers who also made an appearance in the novel Memories of Ice.
The Lees of Laughter's End will be published in early 2007, in a signed and unsigned hardcover, and as part of a new collected volume which will also include the previous novellas, Blood Follows and The Healthy Dead.

The title was announced in this month's news bulletin, found here.
The listings for the books are here and here.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

thanks Murrin. cool enough! i just started reading Blood Follows last night!! *grin*

poor old emancipator reese!!! ;)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Very cool! Was going to pick up the novellas right after I finish Bonehunters (almost done!), but will probably wait for the collection now.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The Lees of Laughter's End is, I believe, now available from PS Publishing.

The collected edition of the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas has sold out on preorders; here's hoping for a second edition.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I may have been a little premature with that last post--I'm not entirely sure. But I can say with confidence that The Lees of Laughter's End is now definately available for purchase at the link above.

Apparently, the book takes place immediately after the events of the first novella, Blood Follows.
In the wake of their blissful sojourn in the city of Lamentable Moll, the intrepid sorcerors Bauchelain and Korbal Broach -- along with their newly hired manservant, Emancipor Reese -- have set out on the wide open seas aboard the sturdy Suncurl.

Alas, there's more baggage in the hold than meets the beady eyes of Suncurl's hapless crew, and once on the cursed sea-lane known as Laughter's End -- the Red Road in which flows the blood of an Elder God -- unseemly terrors are prodded awake, to the understated dismay of all.

It is said that it is not the destination that counts, but the journey itself. Such a noble, worthy sentiment. Aye, it is the journey that counts, especially when what counts is horror, murder, mischance and mayhem. For Bauchelain, Korbal Broach and Emancipor Reese, it is of course just one more night on the high seas, on a journey without end -- and that counts for a lot.
Warden
Stonedownor

Post by Warden »

This book is the smallest of the 3 - you might call it a novella-ette. Takes about an hour to read(including distractions from offspring) :( . Some chapters in the main Malazan storyline are bigger than this.
When you can't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I just found this at B&N. $25 for this? I don't have the money at the moment (closing on a house soon, I hope), so I'll pass.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I've not read any of the B&KB books -- the characters didn't really grab me in the main Malazan books. Well okay, actually they grossed me out.

Congrats on the house acquisition, T'oolman!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Thanks. We'll see if it ever freakin' happens! The organized crime family known as FHA is having a lot of fun with my money.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Zenlunatic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Zenlunatic »

I just finished the three B&KB novellas...I have a question, at the end of one of them..."Lees" I think, Erikson shows a scene with some warriors getting ready to chase (or they are chasing) the ship that B&KB and Emancipor are on...who are those guys? I'm up to Midnight Tides in the main Malazan books so do they show up later?
"I have all the best words."
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Zenlunatic wrote:I just finished the three B&KB novellas...I have a question, at the end of one of them..."Lees" I think, Erikson shows a scene with some warriors getting ready to chase (or they are chasing) the ship that B&KB and Emancipor are on...who are those guys? I'm up to Midnight Tides in the main Malazan books so do they show up later?

I just finished all three novella's, and found them to be entertaining. Bauchelain is both wondrously evil, and heroic. As to the question above I assumed the group giving chase was after the theiving crew, that had stolen the ship in the first place. I found myself wondering about the fate of Korbal Broach, and Hoods revenge.
Wide Eyed Stupid
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Isn't it Iron Bars and his squad? (And I believe it must be one of the first two books, because I've not read Lees.)
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Im still a newcomer to the Malazan Empire having read only Night of Knives, Gardens of the Moon, and these 3 novellas. Given my limited knowledge of this mythology the pursuers could be anyone, I just havent met them before.
Wide Eyed Stupid
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, I guess there are some things that won't quite seem to fit when you've not read the other related books. IIRC, The Healthy Dead and The Lees of Laughter's End were both published after Midnight Tides in the main series (and I think Lees after The Bonehunters), and that scene is a very minor reference to MT.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, picked up the collected tales (the three mentioned in here) in one edition, as part of my christmas present from work. Fun to read, but nothing really spectacular.

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”