House of Chains [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Avatar wrote:Bah, minor typo. Nothing to do with being too lazy to check back for the spelling. ;)
:lol: You could've just looked at my post - I mean, I just read it!

While I think of it, another character who inspired a lot of sympathy was Fist Gamet - and his 'ending' was triumphant!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

StevieG wrote:You could've just looked at my post - I mean, I just read it!
What, and scroll? :LOLS:

--A
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Avatar wrote: What, and scroll? :LOLS:

--A
:lol:
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

I,m just started the 3rd chapter in this book so I better be careful how much of the previous posts I read , but I do like the character Karsa Orlong and Torvald has got the humour which is never missing from Eriksons books ;)
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!

Post by Avatar »

Just starting House of Chains again.

--A
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Avatar wrote:Just starting House of Chains again.

--A
This book is excellent I,m flying through it and the appearance of regular characters from the previous books makes it more enjoyable aswell , about half ways through now :biggrin: Still trying to advoid reading earlier posts till I get to the finish Mind you I am finding it hard to visualise the difference between the Tiste Edur and the Tiste Andii.
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!

Post by Avatar »

The Andii have black skin, and white or black hair. The skin of the Edur is grey. Not sure about their hair, but probably grey or brown. And the Edur are more barbaric in style. Long houses and stuff like that.

--A
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Avatar wrote:The Andii have black skin, and white or black hair. The skin of the Edur is grey. Not sure about their hair, but probably grey or brown. And the Edur are more barbaric in style. Long houses and stuff like that.

--A
Thanks Avatar for the explanation ;)

Post by Avatar »

Enjoying HoC even more this time round. In the past I've always been a little bored by Karsa's initial journey, but this time it's somehow more gripping.

--A
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I'm here on my Malazan reread. Third time reading this one. I'm almost done with Book 1, starring a naive, ill-tempered, really really strong Teblor. Actually, I'm enjoying this part of the book more this time than the last two times I read it. Noticing more; tying things together. I'd forgotten that he found a little statue of Fener in the town, and smashed it. :lol:

Holy cow!!! I just read the previous post, by Av, as I previewed my above paragraph!! :LOLS:
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

In the ancient fortress that had once functioned as a monastery for the Nameless Ones, but had been old even then - its makers long forgotten - there was only darkness. On its lowermost level there was a single chamber, its floor rifted above a rushing underground river.

In the icy depths, chained by Elder sorcery to the bedrock, lay a massive, armoured warrior. Thelomen Toblakai, pure of blood, that had known the curse of demonic possession, a possession that had devoured its own sense of self - the noble warrior had ceased to exist long, long ago.

Yet now, the body writhed in its magical chains. The demon was gone, fled with the outpouring of blood - blood that should never have existed, given the decayed state of the creature, yet existed it had, and the river had swept it to freedom. To a distant waterhole, where a bull enkar'al - a beast in its prime - had been crouching to drink.

The enkar'al had been alone for some time - not even the spoor of others of its kind could be found anywhere nearby. Though it had not sensed the passage of time, decades had in fact passed since it last encountered its own kind. Indeed, it had been fated - given a normal course of life - to never again mate. With its death, the extinction of the enkar'al anywhere east of the Jhag Odhan would have been complete.

But now its soul raged in a strange, gelid body - no wings, no thundering hearts, no prey-laden scent to draw from the desert's night air. Something held it down, and imprisonment was proving a swift path to mindless madness.

Far above, the fortress was silent and dark. The air was motionless once more, barring the faint sighs from draughts that flowed in from the outer chambers.

Rage and terror. Unanswered, except by the promise of eternity.

Or so it would have remained.

Had the Beast Thrones stayed unoccupied.

Had not the reawakened wolf gods known an urgent need...for a champion.

Their presence reached into the creature's soul, calmed it with visions of a world where there were enkar'al in the muddy skies, where bull males locked jaws in the fierce heat of the breeding season, the females banking in circles far above. Visions that brought peace to the ensnared soul - though with it came a deep sorrow, for the body that now clothed it was...wrong.

A time of service, then. The reward - to rejoin its kin in the skies of another realm.

Beasts were not strangers to hope, nor unmindful of such things as rewards.

Besides, this champion would taste blood...and soon.

For the moment, however, there was a skein of sorcerous bindings to unravel...
If we run across this champion, later in the book or in a later book, I don't remember it. I hope I'm going to be pleasantly surprised, and that it's not a lost thread. :lol: And I won't mind a spoiler, if anyone has one. :mrgreen:
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Onos T'oolan wrote:I'm here on my Malazan reread. Third time reading this one. I'm almost done with Book 1, starring a naive, ill-tempered, really really strong Teblor. Actually, I'm enjoying this part of the book more this time than the last two times I read it. Noticing more; tying things together. I'd forgotten that he found a little statue of Fener in the town, and smashed it. :lol:

Holy cow!!! I just read the previous post, by Av, as I previewed my above paragraph!! :LOLS:
I had forgotten the statue as well, and now that you have reminded me of this event , I begin to..... Im so Damn close to spoiling !!!!!!! Nope cant. My soul is still mine, and like Galadriel I shall pass into the west.
Wide Eyed Stupid

Post by Avatar »

Nearly finished HoC. I did skip the first 100 odd pages of Karsa's journey.

One thing I never noticed before...one of the chapter quotes talks about Grub as the future First Sword of the Late Empire period.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Oh, and the quote I mention above is an excerpt from a book called "Lives of the Three," and in HoC somebody, (maybe Gamet?) refers to Nil, Nether and Grub as either "the" or "these three" in the context of them being the future of the empire.

--A
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I forgot how easily the Ashok boys captured Karsa, with a shovel no less.
Wide Eyed Stupid

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”