Dark Tower Movie/Mini:

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I like that stuff too.

Dad-DA-Chim
Did-DA-Chum
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

What about the Jake/Roland first encounter? I think they would probobly put it in as a prequel episode, but the series would take most of the second book and on.

Dod-a-chock
Dad-a-cham!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

They should keep that...it sets up the need to extract him from "our world" and set Roland up as a surrogate father. THAT is needed as is the bloodbath in Tull.

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Mr Fixit wrote:
Avatar wrote:Yeah, no matter how gifted the director is, it's always a Sisyphean task...

Name a movie adatation of any series, or single book, that was as good as the original book?

--A
Shawshank Redemption.
Shawshank (the movie) is a huge expansion on the story. It's certainly a good film, but it's not a faithful rendering.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'll grant that Shawshank is pretty good insofar as movies of Kings books go, but not only was it not faithful, as Cail said, but Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was a novella. Very short.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Right, which makes it a "not good interpretation".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Post by Avatar »

Well, that too, but what I meant was "much easier to make a film of without cutting everything."

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Right. That too.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i disagree with both of you. and I'M going to be the absolute one on this one.

The Shawshank Redemption as a film was a VERY good adaptation, (and it's not the only good one either.)

the novella's length LENDS itself to the film format VERY well and i've read that particular novella more times than Avatar has read The Dark Tower (see DT trivia thread for that bit of info).

i find it a very faithful rendering of the major themes and motifs in the novella. the changes were minimal and served the story. there were things left out and things shortened but it was, by my VERY picky standards on adaptations (i can rail on this issue for hours and hours, i am a purist and feel directors OWE novelists fidelity to the original work, don't even get me started on LOtR) a REALLY good adaptation for a King film, especially considering ANYthing freaking crap miniseries director Mick Garis has done with any King material.

don't be hatin' on TSR. :evil:
Last edited by lucimay on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

<sigh>

Just because it's a good film does not make it a good adaptation. Look at the original Shining movie. Great film, crappy adaptation.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i believe i've stated my opinion.

i'm sorry if you feel i've been somehow misled by my intellect.

as i said, i've read it many many many times. it's my FAVORITE SK story. period.

i think it's a good adaptation and my opinion on this as i believe i've indicated in the prior post, is not negotiable. in other words, just because you say you don't think it's good doesn't convince me. i own it. i own the book (different seasons). this is my opinion.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

*adopts hushed tone*

Cail.... don't argue.... Luci reigns supreme in this matter!

*check to make sure he has not drwn undue attention to himself*

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Misled by your intellect?

You like the story. Good for you. You like the film. Good for you. I don't want or need to convince you of anything. The film deviates from the written story in ways that, in my opinion, it shouldn't have. To me, that makes for a poor adaptation.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:Misled by your intellect?

You like the story. Good for you. You like the film. Good for you. I don't want or need to convince you of anything. The film deviates from the written story in ways that, in my opinion, it shouldn't have. To me, that makes for a poor adaptation.

yeah, mislead by my intellect.

your comment,
<sigh>

Just because it's a good film does not make it a good adaptation. Look at the original Shining movie. Great film, crappy adaptation.

has a somewhat condescending tone and implies that i don't KNOW that just because it's a good film does not make it a good adaptation.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

For the record, I don't think it's a particularly good novella or film. Tastes are personal, that's why there are 31 flavors instead of one.

Glad you liked it, I didn't, and I maintain my position that it's a substandard adaptation.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

yep. thats what i was doing before, stating my opinion and disagreeing with you.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

:lol: You two. :D

For what it's worth, I do think it's one of the best movies of an SK story. No doubt about that when you compare it to most. :lol:

And I enjoyed it as a movie and as a book (although those little things do nigle at me).

--A
Dagon
Giantfriend

Post by Dagon »

It would be cool if in the DT movie, Roland has the horn of Eld this time around, so as to continue the series from the end of the 7th book. This would allow for deviation from the story and an awesome movie. Of course, Stephen King would have to closely monitor the outcome..
“I am you; you are ME. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine.”
-Sri Sathya Sai Baba
Carson Napier
Woodhelvennin

Post by Carson Napier »

Cail wrote:It will suck, there's no way around it. It'd take 4-5 seasons of a show to tell the story, and that's not gonna happen.
What he said. These are seven epic novels (I just got all 7 in audiobook format, half way through book 5 at the moment), bringing the entire story to screen in a way that did it justice would be a massive undertaking.

Old "long, tall and ugly" (as Eddie calls him) is stone!
"The Bloodguard do not forgive"

Return to “Stephen King Forum”