What are your favourite periods in history, and why?

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Bah, damn arqueubusiers...devaluing the noble art of single combat. In fact, didn't Takeda Shingen die because of being shot?

You think there would have been a Takeda shogunate instead of a Tokugawa one if he had lived? (I don't know enough about it to dispute...just find the period fascinating, never really studied the details.)

--A
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Gee, what period in History is my fav? That is a hard one to answer, considering that I have my degree in History.

I would say that it would be Ancient Rome at the time of Julius Caesar and then Tudor England.

Yes, I watched Rome on HBO religiously and although there was a lot of historical inaccuracies, the general way the city looked was pretty close to what it must have been like.
The King has one more move.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Kinslaughterer wrote:
-Han China, from about 200 BC to around 200 AD, and the 3 Kingdoms period that followed
Nice choice...Romance of the Three Kingdoms...I highly recommend the novel as well.

I'm obviously biased toward certain eras but the few that I can think of would be:

Japan-Sengoku period (Beware the Tiger of Kai)
Prehistoric American Southwest (of course but then again it doesn't really count, I suppose)
The Victorian Age throughout the world
European Contact with the Americas
The Age of Exploration
Ya, I like the novel too. IMO it can be somewhat silly at times, but it's also quite good.

Oh, and I want to tack on that I'd be interested in seeing the Shinsengumi in action during the late toku period.
Yes, I watched Rome on HBO religiously and although there was a lot of historical inaccuracies, the general way the city looked was pretty close to what it must have been like.
I just wanna mention offhand, I think it's badass how much knowledge we have of ancient cities nowadays.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Yes, I took an entire class in college on world cities and civilization. It was probably one of the most interesting classes I ever took. The book alone was about four inches thick and I still have it (although I forget the name of it because I haven't picked it up recently).
The King has one more move.

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”