Vain

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

NA-scooby
Servant of the Land

Vain

Post by NA-scooby »

I can't understand something. In the Second Chrons, Vain gets the heels of the staff of law from Revelstone, and puts them on his wrist and ankle. At this point I'm putting 2 and 2 together and guessing, hey Vain might be the new staff of law. Then, at the One tree, one arm turns to wood (the arm with the heel). Now I'm sure that Vain will be the new staff. Why can't Covenant or Linden make this assuption, or even think of it as a possibility.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

:lol:
It would spoil the story? I had a vague idea but i remember never knowing for sure.
Last edited by Warmark on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

It did not occur to me at all...until me aunty told me.

But anyhow, maybe they had other things to think of, I mean, alot of the time Vain just faded into the background.
"I see you keep a bee" - Danny Bhoy

"I'll move on when I'm ready to" - Reservoir Dogs

"Their pheremones fizzled like ice cream and lemonade" - Harvie Krumpet
illender
Stonedownor

Post by illender »

i assumed that vain would have something to do with the staff of law but was not sure since everytime i tried to guess what would happen next donaldson would pull something unexpected. i've pretty much given up on trying to figure out any future plots or the way the story will go, donaldson is just to unpredictable for me(which is why i love his books).
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We (the readers) are fans of fantasy stories, so the thoughts that Vain might have something to do with a new SoL isn't far-fetched. Covenant and Linden, on the other hand? The idea would never enter their minds.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

It never occurred to me. Whenever Vain did anything, I just wondered "What the hell is that lunatic up to now?!" and spectacularly failed to pick up on the hints. So I don't think it's too far-fetched that Covenant and Linden didn't realise either.
The Dark Overlord
Woodhelvennin

Post by The Dark Overlord »

I know A few people who had no idea about Vain but I don't no how- as soon as he put the bands on I knew he was going to be the staff of law- I even thoght there was a good chance that that was one of the possibilites before that happened.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Hey, Scooby, you're pretty intuitive. I did NOT put 2 + 2 together and figure out Vain's purpose with the heels of the SOL. My assumption was that he, up to this point, had proven himself pretty hard to kill/destroy/stop, whatever, so he had put on the heels to safeguard them until they fulfilled their pre-determined purpose, for which he had been solely created. I, too, was surpised by the real reason, but it was one of the many "wow" moments I felt while reading TCoTC books, and every time I re-read them. I'm anxiously (and somewhat impatiently) awaiting FR's release so I can "wow" some more.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

Vain is the best character ever created in a fantasy novel. So he gets a bit of kudos for being mysterious and elusive.

But in hindsight it does seem rather bleeding obvious...

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”