Fritz Leiber - Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

balon!
Lord

Fritz Leiber - Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser

Post by balon! »

In my oppinion, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are the greatest of all adventurers. Combined with Leibers amazing talent to write a darker fantasy than most out there, it makes for some truly wonderfull reading.

It basically a collection of short to moderate length stories of their adventure. (Ussually how to collect more money to buy wine or pay off their debts as all adventurers do.)

I reccomend all the books highly. Though the Snow Women and The Unholy Grail (the opening stories) can be a little hard to get through, once you do, you'll be glad for the backround info, and the base for the rest of the stories. They are amazing.

A good site for Lankhmar
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Old school S&S is one of the areas I've not had the chance to touch upon in my reading, but Leiber's work is among those I've heard recommended most often.
The Gollancz 'Fantasy Masterworks' series contains the First & Second Book of Lankhmar that contain between them the seven volumes of the "Swords" series, and so it seems they contain almost every one of the published Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories. Those are the editions I am going to buy, when I get around to it.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Those are the editions I see most often, and they're fine.

I'm just a cheapskate so I buy them in the oldschool paperbacks.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Damn, I'm sure I've just seen this topic...

I love these books. The only one I know I have is Swords of Lankhmar, and a couple of short stories. I struggle to find them, but pick them up whenever I can.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

"And now, Dead Sorcerer," said the Gray One lightly, "my name is the Gray Mouser."

"And mine is Anra Devadoris."

Instantly the Mouser put into action his carefully weighed plan: to take two rapid skips forward and launch is blade-tipped body at the adept's sword, which was to be deflected, and at the adept's throat, which was to be sliced. He was already seeing the blood spurt when, in the middle of the second skip, he saw, whirring like an arrow toward his eyes, the adept's blade. With a belly-contorted effort he twisted to one side and parried blindly. The adept's blade whipped in greedily around Scalpel, but only far enough to snag and tear the skin at the side of the Mouser's neck. The Mouser recoverd balance crouching, his guard wide open, and only a backward leap saved him from Anra Devadoris' second serpentlike strike. As he gathered himself to meet the next attack, he gaped amazedly, for never before in his life had he been faced by superior speed. Fafhrd's face was white. Ahura, however, her head raised a little from the furry cloak, smiled with a weak and incredulous, but evil joy - a frankly vicious joy wholly unlike her former sly, intangible intimations of cruelty.

But Anra Devadoris smiled wider and nodded with a patronizing gratefulness at the Mouser, before gliding in. And now it was the blade Needle that darted in unhurried lightning attack, and Scalpel that whirred in frenzied defense. The Mouser retreated in jerky, circling stages, his face sweaty, his throat hot, but his heart exulting, for never before had he fought this well - not even on that stifling morning when, his head in a sack, he had disposed of a whimsically cruel Egyptian kidnapper.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I'm not in general a big fantasy novel reader so there are only really a few that interest me. I did a quick search to see if any of Fritz Leiber's work had been discussed here, as I really enjoyed the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series.

What appealed to me was the darker nature of the stories, and the fact that the heroes sat somewhere between hero and villain, yet were likable and well-rounded characters. While it didn't break that much new ground in the sword and sorcery genre, I think it was one of the first that dwelt on the darker aspects of personality and the more cynical nature of humanity.

I don't own copies now, but I might get them again at some point.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

read the stories when younger. enjoyed very much. needs to be a movie...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Hey, I've managed to pick up a bunch more since this thread. I think I have most of them now. :D

--A
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

sgt.null wrote:read the stories when younger. enjoyed very much. needs to be a movie...
Yes, there's a good movie in there if you can get the right actors to play them

(Note to potential directors: Please don't let it be Arnold Schwartzenegger and Danny DeVito...)
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Avatar wrote:Hey, I've managed to pick up a bunch more since this thread. I think I have most of them now. :D

--A
Yay! As good as you remember? I just snagged the graphic novel! So great. Very dark and detailed...

Post by Avatar »

They were. :D In fact, a reread is probably in order. :D

I didn't know there were graphic novels...

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote: I didn't know there were graphic novels...

--A
I didn't either.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The first book is $1.99 on kindle today. No idea if the deal will last beyond today
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”