A Fresh Journey to the Tower

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Alrighty then. Little Sisters and Everything's Eventual read. Onward to VII. I'm guessing the connection of DT to Everything's Eventual, other than working for Trans Corporation, will become clearer. I should know better than to expect anyone here to fill me in... ;)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Holy @#$! King pulls no quarter with the opening chapter of book VII. Poor Don Callahan, after all that to come face to face with his worse fear. He acquited himself well though.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...sitting here with tears coursing down my cheeks as I close the book on Part 1 of Book VII...

Ah, Jake. Ah, Roland...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...oh..my...word...

Such is the end of Flagg? There's no way...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Bit of a let-down huh? :lol:

I thought so too.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*nod*
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...literally trembling...

Oh Eddie!!! Oh Jake!!!

...oh...oh...oh...

...putting book aside for a while...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*shudder*

So, we return to the concept of the Undead yet again. What form will it take this time?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Susannah...was your decision right?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*shuddering...with tears streaming down my face*

So comes the end of the ka-tet...

...whispered...

...Oy...brave...faithful...loyal...Oy...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...and so...

I come to Coda. I am already satisfied. Deeply satisfied. I have not even begun to read Coda. Yet, I suspect this is the section some of those who have posted about it regret reading.

I ask you true...

If given the choice again, would you read it? For, as of now anyway, I can put the book aside and not read this last section, with no regrets.

What say you, those who have stuck with me as I made my journey?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ultimately, you'll read it whether you want to or not. I think its inclusion was totally unnecessary, and it does detract from the overall arc of the story. But King included it for a reason, and I think it bears reading, if only so you can bitch about it.

Oy's loyalty and fate are the best part of the book.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cail wrote:Ultimately, you'll read it whether you want to or not.
Do you think so? If y'all say I should stop, I can easily return the book to the library without reading it and have no regrets. But, I also know I could hunt it down again at any time.

Although I'll never know what Beorn's comment that the ending is not an ending means...
Cail wrote:I think its inclusion was totally unnecessary, and it does detract from the overall arc of the story. But King included it for a reason, and I think it bears reading, if only so you can bitch about it.
So...one vote aye, read it. ;)
Cail wrote:Oy's loyalty and fate are the best part of the book.
...tearing up again...

*nod*

At least up to Coda.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Read it. Thematically, it's a brilliant and perfect ending.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Dear God, I hope I'm not mixing the endings.

The ending is
Spoiler
Roland opening the door and starting the whole cycle all over again.
The coda is
Spoiler
The alternate universe in which everyone is reunited.
Someone please clarify this for me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Well, in terms of which comes first while actually reading further methinks you've got them switched.

There are two sections, what I call Susannah's Destination and then there's Roland In the Tower.

I'm of two minds. For maximum effect, and in hindsight, I would chose not to read the latter at first. Later, go back and read it--which is in its own way quite brilliant even though King himself comes out and warns you. Loved the line about having written plenty of endings and not one is the equal of "Once upon a time..."
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

OK, then I've got them mixed.

I hated Susannah's Destination, loved Roland in the Tower.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

If Susannah's Destination is what I think you are referring to, I've already read that.

So...Coda does continue with Roland inside the Tower? I figured that but...grumble...thanks Zahir and Cail...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Menolly wrote:...and so...

I come to Coda. I am already satisfied. Deeply satisfied. I have not even begun to read Coda. Yet, I suspect this is the section some of those who have posted about it regret reading.

I ask you true...

If given the choice again, would you read it? For, as of now anyway, I can put the book aside and not read this last section, with no regrets.

What say you, those who have stuck with me as I made my journey?
YOU MUST READ IT. It makes the cycle complete, even if it makes you simper and pul! King intertwined HIMSELF into the journey...the least you can do is read it ALL as he intended.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Menolly wrote:If Susannah's Destination is what I think you are referring to, I've already read that.

So...Coda does continue with Roland inside the Tower? I figured that but...grumble...thanks Zahir and Cail...
I spoilered my stuff.

Return to “Stephen King Forum”