A Fresh Journey to the Tower

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

A Fresh Journey to the Tower

Post by Menolly »

:::if there is a similar thread, feel free to delete and point me in the right direction:::

What is considered spoilers at this point? Do I need to spoil any plot discussion, or is the series old enough to not need to be posted with spoilers?

I just finished The Gunslinger, after starting with Eyes of the Dragon. So far, neither have grabbed me. But King even says in the introduction to the edition of The Gunslinger I read that it is hard to get into the series based on that book. I have the Drawing of the Three right at hand, and have yet to crack it open. Will it grab me yet? Or shall I let my reaction to the decision regarding Jake determine if I go on?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I love the beginning of TDOTT, one of my favourite moments in the whole series.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

oh yeah. go on now. crack it open. The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands are the best of the series.

you're gonna love Eddie. :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Wizard and Glass is the best of the series. But Drawing gets you hooked.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

OK, so I read Prologue: The Sailor. Ewww...

So far, I am not enthralled...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I loved the Gunslinger. From the opening line, I was hooked.

I still think that it and Wizard and Glass are the best of the series. With Gunslinger edging ahead.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Wayfriend wrote:Wizard and Glass is the best of the series. But Drawing gets you hooked.
Couldn't have said it better. WaG is arguably the best thing King's written.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cail wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:Wizard and Glass is the best of the series. But Drawing gets you hooked.
Better than The Stand? Really?

OK, OK, I'll plow ahead. But, I'm dreading meeting Eddie, based on Luci's smirk and the foreshadowing about heroin addiction...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Very different from The Stand. Beautiful story.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Eddie's one of the best things in DT. No worries.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I hated Eddie in TDotT, but yeah, he ends up being great.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oy...

So the painful reading continues then, huh? :::sigh:::

Stuff like this is why I have never even looked at The Gap series. When I first came to the Watch, I had never heard of it, and then based on comment in the GI and here, I just decided that it probably is not a series for me...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

No no no! Eddie is not like The Gap!

(There's something I never imagined saying ...)

Eddie is not painful in the same way the Gap is painful. Eddie is painful because he's starts out as a rather despicable sort. So he's painful like TC in LFB is painful. You like TC, don't ya?!?!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wayfriend wrote:Eddie is not painful in the same way the Gap is painful. Eddie is painful because he's starts out as a rather despicable sort. So he's painful like TC in LFB is painful. You like TC, don't ya?!?!
Oh!! OK, that I can relate to. I just have to wade through the despicable stuff first...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

<phew>
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:
TDotT and The Wastelands are definitely the best in the series. WaG was just necessary and not even close to King's best writing.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thank you all for encouraging me to muddle on. I am now starting The Pusher section of TDotT...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Lucimay wrote:
Cail wrote:
TDotT and The Wastelands are definitely the best in the series. WaG was just necessary and not even close to King's best writing.
Says you. I found TDotT tedious.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

WaG is truly a great work...TDotT does indeed draw you in, and Wastelands is very exciting, bt WaG makes the reader LOVE the characters and lays the groundwork for truly understanding the whole of what Roland has given up for his quest. WaG defines Roland in a way the all prior and subsequent DT books do not.

It's a 2-3 hanky read, Menolly.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Exactly. Roland becomes a real person in WaG, and the story is just crushingly beautiful.

Return to “Stephen King Forum”