Gap newbie - reassurance required!

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

The Real Story is not for the faint hearted. It's full of horrible people and events and situations. It also is very necessary in order to set the bar for the journey and changes the characters make during the series. SRD set out to do an unusual role reversal series and he more than succeeds with the Gap. This is probably a spoiler so read at your own risk...
Spoiler
Victim becomes antagonist, hero becomes victim and antagonist becomes hero. However it all happens in a very disturbing and interesting way and even then my first assessment can be argued and has been argued. It all happens so that from different perspectives you can see them become each role throughout the series.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Said it before, will say it again, the Gap is SRD's best writing.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Im reading the GAP for the first time as well. Im about 3/4 of the way through a Dark and Hungry God Arises.
Spoiler
Angus has 'rescued Davies, Nick is having conniptions trying to figure out how they got him out and whats going on and Milos just went over to the Amnion and is spilling his guts to them.
What a bunch of scumbags!
Very intense. Defintely not a read for the faint hearted.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nope, I'm not attempting to read these books again. I'm posting because I noticed the last post was Nov 11! That's just wrong! So get busy, folks! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

You're missing out Fist. :D You read them, then we can get busy posting again. ;)

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Yep, some new blood would lead to new conversations.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I still haven't gotten around to reading the last two :(
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

8O

You finished the third one and didn't need to know what happened next?
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I need to know, I just couldn't afford to buy the next two right away, and then I got distracted by the time I received my next paycheck...

Hmm, maybe I should check if I can get them now...
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

See, I don't even need to be on the forum because Av is here and I just end up agreeing with him anyway. I read these books fairly recently, and still haven't read the last one, but for sure I think this is the best. I don't want to step on any toes but I think the Gap series just blows the new chronicles out of the water. I love these characters, because I love people. THIS is what people are like, depraved, selfish, unstable, dedicated, compromised from the start. Capable of amazing sacrifices. Just phenomenal. I like everyone, even the most detestable characters. Nick is just a pile of trash, and he's one of my favorites. Hashi is top notch.
Although I will say that the self mutilation scene was quite the blow to the psyche, just because it was an almost casual backdrop. It definately captures Billingate though.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Post by Avatar »

Good post. :D

--A
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Hiya all

I've just finished Peter Hamilton's "Pandoras Star" and "Judas Unchained" - its almost a play school version of the GAP. Like bubble gum really.

I gotta go with Angus as my Fave love / hate character! I love to hate him and hate to love him...

How are you getting on StoneMaybe ?
Reached the end yet ?
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
Kalboyd
Servant of the Land

Post by Kalboyd »

Hey all...Long time SRD fan, first-time poster...

I'd like to re-iterate what other people have already said about The Gap Cycle. These books are NOT for the faint-of-heart, but they are definately worth it. I've re-read the entire series 3 times, and I find myself catching little things I didn't understand or realize the last time. For those of you who stopped reading for one reason or another, I can only say "Keep reading!" I gave this series to a friend of mine who has enjoyed many of the same books as I have. He is a very harsh judge and on numerous occasions has put down a book from 50 pages in to 3/4 of the way through because he lost interest. Numerous times, I had to poke and prod him on just by saying, "Keep reading." When he finished, I asked him if it was worth it. "Yes," he said, "But I think he could have finished the series in 3 books..." He also said he never would have finished reading the whole series if I hadn't kept prodding him on.

With that in mind...

Stonemaybe: Keep reading. Warden Dios is definately someone to
admire...but you have to read the whole series to truly appreciate him.

Malik23: Tell your wife to keep reading. When I first got to the point she did, my first thought was, OMFG...this can't be good! But Warden Dios had his reasons, and you'll only find out why if you keep reading. Besides, it wasn't all that long before I was grinning like an idiot...

SoulBiter: Keep reading...if you think it's intense 3/4 of the way thru A Dark And Hungry God, This Day All Gods Die is gonna blow your mind! Of all the books I've ever read in my life, this is the only one to peg the ol' Intense-ometer...

Kalboyd
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Its a new years resolution of mine to start reading the Gap books , the first book has been sitting on my bed side table waiting to be read for the last two months so Id better get on with it shouldn,t I :?: I,ll have to take a break from reading S. Erikson to do that :biggrin: But I promise to start reading the Gap series. Honest :!!!:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Cleburne wrote:Its a new years resolution of mine to start reading the Gap books , the first book has been sitting on my bed side table waiting to be read for the last two months so Id better get on with it shouldn,t I :?: I,ll have to take a break from reading S. Erikson to do that :biggrin: But I promise to start reading the Gap series. Honest :!!!:
I gave Rachael The Real Story and Forbidden Knowledge for Christmas, and she is ready the first story now and loving it. She just said that Angus Thermopyle is a real charmer ;)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ki recently picked up Chaos and Order again. She's 30 pages away from
Spoiler
Nick getting killed.
I keep telling her to continue, but she is still broken-hearted about
Spoiler
Nick getting Angus's security codes
. I've been telling her that she's only 30 pages away from something really, really good happening, something that will relieve all the stress she had to endure concerning Nick. But now she's frustrated with how much time Donaldson is spending on describing Davies's plight. I can't count the times she has said, "I get it already! He is confused and thinks he's a woman! How many more times do I have to read him agonizing over this! Get on with the story!"

It's a legitimate gripe, actually. Like I said, Chaos and Order seemed to drag a bit for me. But she's so close to the end battle!

How is the read going for everyone else? I'm currently rereading Mordant's Need, which only reinforces how much better the Gap is, IMO. Joyse was certainly practice for Warden. Perhaps Terisa was practice for Morn. I'm glad Donaldson had the benefit of that practice, because Terisa is really getting on my nerves. I don't know if I could have endured 5 books of her wondering if she was going to "fade."
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Malik23 wrote: How is the read going for everyone else?
Well I,m offically started and have got 4 chapters in but finding it tough going , you don,t want to be tired when you are reading this or you lose track of the story very quickly so I have read the 4 chapters twice. I unsure of my opinion of Angus Thermopyle at present he seems to be wired to the moon he comes across as unstable to me , anyway I,ll carry on reading.And why didn,t Hyland the father just put a bullet in him when he got on board his ship ,it just seem to easy the way Angus killed him :?:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cleburne wrote:And why didn,t Hyland the father just put a bullet in him when he got on board his ship ,it just seem to easy the way Angus killed him :?:
Because he'd been blinded and couldn't see. He was bluffing the whole time.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Also, he's supposed to be one of the good guys (Hyland, that is). He's a cop. Cops aren't supposed to blow people away on sight. Refresh my memory . . . did Hyland know who Angus was when he boarded?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Malik23 wrote:Refresh my memory . . . did Hyland know who Angus was when he boarded?
I do not think so. From what I remember, they became suspicious of him at Com-Mine, and their concerns were confirmed when they caught him 'torching' the mining camp with his drives.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “The Gap Series”