Possible Gap movies

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

He is the mod, so he can be a little prudish. :D

Another question I just thought of in terms of filming The Gap. If it is to be a trilogy, what would the movies be called? The series does have five books with ten titles after all.

My (off-the-top-of-my-head) suggestions:

Film 1: The Gap into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge
Film 2: The Gap into Madness - Chaos and Order
Film 3: The Gap into Ruin - All Gods Die

OR

Film 1: The Gap into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge
Film 2: The Gap into Madness - A Dark and Hungry God
Film 3: The Gap into Ruin - Chaos and Order

I used the vision/madness/ruin grouping as I thought they had a nice stylistic flow, and they wouldn't be the main titles anyway, in the same way that The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is just The Two Towers most of the time. The main title parts were a bit more difficult, since I think both A Dark and Hungry God Arises and This Day All Gods Die are a little long and wordy to be film titles.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Thanks, guys. Hey, at least I don't go deleting threads. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There's another thread dedicated to splitting the series into three movies... kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11969

:biggrin:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Wayfriend wrote:There's another thread dedicated to splitting the series into three movies... kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11969

:biggrin:
Why you. . . !! :twisted: ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by DirectorDios »

Heather Gram as Morn
Christopher Walken as Holt
Lance Henrikson as Warden
Sigorney Weaver as Min
Pierce Brosnan as Nick
Harvey Keitel/Mickey Rourke as Angus
Linda Hamilton as Sorus
Yaphet Koto as Dolph
Dustin Hoffman as Hashi
It’s a moral imperative.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Walken would be great as Holt.

--A
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Avatar wrote:Walken would be great as Holt.

--A
Actually, I don't see Walken as Holt, if only because the heavies he plays are cynical in a world-weary kind of way, as if he knows he'll lose eventually. Holt can't imagine it, which is why whatever Angus does to him after you turn the last page is so . . . delicious.

I'm not saying Walken couldn't, just that it would be a stretch for him.

Although, Walken does have that life-extended look, like he's been around forever . . .
ItisWritten
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

ItisWritten wrote:Although, Walken does have that life-extended look, like he's been around forever . . .
In that case, they should get Dick Clark ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

GothicGypsy
Servant of the Land

The GAP into Hollywood...

Post by GothicGypsy »

I don't know... IMO this film will never be made by "Hollywood" simply because it is so savage, blatant, violent, gritty, and (above all) true to the human condition. I venture to say that all of us here love the GAP series because of these very things. It is brutally honest and relentlessly confrontational, continually forcing the reader to face our own humanness, whether it is obsessive ambition (e.g Nick, Holt), desperate brutality (Angus, Nick), self-destruction (Morn, Davies) or redemption (Morn, Warden, eventually Angus).

I don't think that "Hollywood" would ever choose to make a GAP movie, because they are in the business of making money, and films that deal with brutally harsh topics rarely make money. There are exceptions: "Schindler's List" is harsh, but the redemptive aspect is evident halfway through the 3-hr film; an audience would have to sit through at least 1 1/2 GAP films to to start seeing the redemptive qualities, and most people aren't that patient. If "Hollywood" ever does put GAP on film, it will be so diluted (in order to be palatable for the general populus) that it will be stripped of what makes it great.

IMHO, in order for GAP to be made (and be made well), it will have to be done by an indie filmmaker with few or no ties to the Industry. On the downside, it will mean less money, because it wouldn't be studio-funded; on the upside, however, it gives the filmmaker much more freedom to make the film as authentic as possible.

I don't know...other thoughts...? Comments? Questions? Wisecracks?
"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on Earth. So what the hell, leap" -Cynthia Heimel
GothicGypsy
Servant of the Land

Post by GothicGypsy »

drew wrote:You thought the Rape Scene was going to cause issues with the Covenant Movie...
How they hell are they going to film the Real Story?
In reality, you don't have to "show" very much at all. In fact, it will probably seem more horrific and violent that way. If most of the violence is shown indirectly (hearing the sounds of what Angus does to Morn, seeing her injuries after the fact, etc.), the audience's imagination will fill in the rest.

Personally, I always thought that the hardest things to film --from a special FX point-of-view-- would be:
1.) the scenes that take place in outer space (e.g. sabotaging Tranquil Hegemony and Soar, etc.)
2.) any scenes that are set in a zero-g environment, particularly the action/fight sequences. Zero-g is a big factor in several places, and trying to do that would be difficult.
"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on Earth. So what the hell, leap" -Cynthia Heimel
wayfriend

Re: The GAP into Hollywood...

Post by wayfriend »

GothicGypsy wrote:I don't know...other thoughts...? Comments? Questions? Wisecracks?
I agree with Drew. I think that there can be movies made that include rape and brutality to women in the first act. But they won't make a sci-fi movie about it. Because sci-fi spaceship movies are supposed to be popcorn fun movies, and no one wants to make a popcorn fun movie about rape, or - worse - appear to be making one. It doesn't matter whether or not the rape is depicted.

Welcome to the Watch, GG!
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

wayfriend wrote:
GothicGypsy wrote:I don't know...other thoughts...? Comments? Questions? Wisecracks?
I agree with Drew. I think that there can be movies made that include rape and brutality to women in the first act. But they won't make a sci-fi movie about it. Because sci-fi spaceship movies are supposed to be popcorn fun movies, and no one wants to make a popcorn fun movie about rape, or - worse - appear to be making one. It doesn't matter whether or not the rape is depicted.

Welcome to the Watch, GG!
The Gap is more of a psychological thriller than scifi action anyway, particularly FK.

There's always a way to present ugliness so that the audience can sit through it. For one, you could begin the film with the scene in Mallorys where Angus is arrested. From there, you could use Nick's POV as the dominant, with just a few scenes from Morn's perspective (with Vector, Mikka, Orn); keep her mostly a mystery (except whatever Nick knows about her) until she finds out she's pregnant. Then comes her reveal (and flashbacks). The last half of FK is more actiony, but by then the characters are fleshed.
ItisWritten
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

GothicGypsy wrote:IMHO, in order for GAP to be made (and be made well), it will have to be done by an indie filmmaker with few or no ties to the Industry. On the downside, it will mean less money, because it wouldn't be studio-funded
I agree in princinple, but the prospect of a zero-budget Gap gives me mental images of the whole thing happening on an early Red Dwarf set. :lol:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

ItisWritten wrote:There's always a way to present ugliness so that the audience can sit through it.
It's not the depiction that's the problem. It's the marketing, really. You make a sci-fi space ship movie, they wanna sell it to teenage boys. You add a brutal rape, and you can't (and shouldn't). It doesn't matter how it's depicted.

Nor can you move a sci-fi spaceship movie that's not for teenage boys.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Umm, I hate to say this, but what makes you think you can't sell rape to teenage boys? (That is, after all, the target audience of shock music)
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

wayfriend wrote:You make a sci-fi space ship movie, they wanna sell it to teenage boys.
Then they shouldn't make the Gap with that in mind. It's an adult, psychological thriller in space. The first one should be marketed that way.

So, the first movie is a thriller with a touch of space stuff and an unsatisfying cliff-hanger, even if you include part of Dark and Hung. Which, unfortunately, is not what major studios want to put their money behind.

But the second and third movies will be big on sci-fi space ship action! :biggrin:
ItisWritten
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

Wayfriend wrote:I agree with Drew. I think that there can be movies made that include rape and brutality to women in the first act. But they won't make a sci-fi movie about it. Because sci-fi spaceship movies are supposed to be popcorn fun movies, and no one wants to make a popcorn fun movie about rape, or - worse - appear to be making one. It doesn't matter whether or not the rape is depicted.
I'm not so sure about that since BSG has been so successful. Sci-fi taking itself seriously is a welcome change to the popcorn fun times Star Trek gave us. And with last night's incredible episode, particularly the FX artistry that drove the first 10 minutes, if BSG really satisfies this season, then it could be great timing for a GAP movie.

Also, consider 2001 A Space Odyssey. While there lacked rape, it was certainly sci-fi being honest, no popcorn fun times with this slow mover. I think the sexual abuse and use will fit and be accepted as long as the rest of the story is taken just as seriously, just as honestly. I could be wrong, but I think the public is ready for it.
Daniel Wolf
Servant of the Land

Post by Daniel Wolf »

A bunch of unknowns, who can act , would be best. That way we could see them as the characters, rather than the actors. Take the origional Star Wars as an example, it worked for George.
omega_695
Servant of the Land

Post by omega_695 »

if they make a movie of this there will be a massive uproar and it will probably be baned it was horrible just reading about the rape scenes never mind actually seeing them in person i think if they did it they would quickly skip through the first book and do the first and second in one movie because if the just did the first book into a movie they wouldnt get a second movie comisioned
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

It's not like Hollywood is shunning rape.

Try watching The Other Boleyn Girl - you see Eric Bana rape Natalie Portman, and they don't even try to hide what's happening.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Return to “The Gap Series”