The Daily Wisdom and Favorite Quotes

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

balon!
Lord

The Daily Wisdom and Favorite Quotes

Post by balon! »

Do we have a favorite quotes thread?

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it" -- Adolf Hitler

"“In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate”" --Isaac Asimov

“Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that shit.” --George Carlin
Last edited by balon! on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

“Can miles truly separate you from friends....If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?” -- Richard Bach

“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” -- Albert Einstein

“I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.” -- Edgar Allan Poe
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"Wherever you go, there you are."

"WHAT"S HAPPENIN'!"

"Would you just stop rubbing your body up against mine, because I can't concentrate when you do that."

""And isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh, ooh, ooh, the sky is the limit!"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh sheesh, lots of great ones from Buckaroo Banzai, eh? :D

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy!"

"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now."

"Damn John Whorfin and the horse he rode in on."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:lol:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

-- Mark Twain
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

“Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken.” -- Orson Scott Card

“First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.” -- Mahatma Ghandi

“Never shall I forget the days I spent with you. Continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours.” -- Ludwig von Beetoven
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

"You know, when you get old in life things get taken from you. That's, that's part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff.
You find out that life is just a game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or footbal, the margin for error is so small. I mean one half step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow or too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They are in every break of the game
every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch!
On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us to pieces for that inch!

We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch.

Cause we know when we add up all those inches that's going to make the fucking difference between WINNING and LOSING. Between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this, in any fight it's the guy who is willing to die who is going to win that inch. And I know if I'm going to have any life anymore it is because I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch because that's what LIVING is. The six inches in front of your face.

...That's football guys. That's all it is."
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

"In our society any man who does not weep at his mother’s funeral runs the risk of being sentenced to death."
Albert Camus

Some funny MGS quotes
"Yes, but there is another event I excel at. It is called the ear pull. Two contenders pull each others' ears while enduring the harsh cold. It tests pysical as well as spiritual strength."
Raven, Metal Gear Solid

Colonel: Raiden, turn the game console off right now.
Raiden: What did you say?
Colonel: The mission is a failure. Cut the power right now.
Raiden: What's wrong with you?
Colonel: Don't worry, it's a game. It's a game just like usual.
Rosemary: You'll ruin your eyes playing so close to the TV.
Raiden: What are you talking about?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Holsety wrote:Some funny MGS quotes
"Yes, but there is another event I excel at. It is called the ear pull. Two contenders pull each others' ears while enduring the harsh cold. It tests pysical as well as spiritual strength."
Raven, Metal Gear Solid

Colonel: Raiden, turn the game console off right now.
Raiden: What did you say?
Colonel: The mission is a failure. Cut the power right now.
Raiden: What's wrong with you?
Colonel: Don't worry, it's a game. It's a game just like usual.
Rosemary: You'll ruin your eyes playing so close to the TV.
Raiden: What are you talking about?
Heh, I used to work with a bloke who was a big Metal Gear fan, and we used to always whip out Snake's exclamation at every opportunity. You know, "Metal Gear?! It can't be!", said in a gruff growl. We'd come out with such classics as "We're out of staples?! It can't be!" and "A ringing telephone?! It can't be!" :roll:

'Good' times :roll:
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. " -Vonnegut

Pie and Cake
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Some of my favorites from Lewis Black:

“In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in twelve years, we'll be voting for plants.”

“There's no such thing as soy milk. It's soy juice.”

“If you want to elect Bush, that's the prick that I'm gonna yell about. If you want to elect John Kerry, I'm gonna be yelling about him. My problem is with authority.”

“When from behind me, a young woman of 25 uttered the following, it was the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life until Dan Quayle was elected Vice President of the United States. She said, "if it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."”
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

The principle I live on:

"Buy the ticket: take the ride". - Hunter S. Thompson
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It's not the thing you fling; it's the fling itself. -- Chris on Northern Exposure.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

"The artist is the creator of of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim."

"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book."

All Oscar Wilde, and all from the preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray (which I'm reading at the moment).
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

There is no strength in unbelief. Even the unbelief of what is false is no source of might. It is the truth shining from behind that gives the strength to disbelieve.
~George MacDonald, The Marquis of Lossie

Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall com back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't waste yourself in rejection, nor bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Use what language you will, you can never say anything but what you are.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are rich only through what we give, and poor only through what we refuse.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Al Capone -

“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.”

“When I sell liquor, its called bootlegging; when my patrons serve it on Lake Shore Drive, its called hospitality”

“I don't even know what street Canada is on.”
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

“I'm not going to die glamorously. I'll probably be eating a Twinkie, take a bite, and fall over.” -- Billy Corgan, the Smashing Pumpkins

“I thought, genius! The perfect marriage of low budget and high concept. I loved it.” -- Chris Ballew, The Presidents of the United States of America

“There's nothing you can really do to prepare to rock. Do you prepare to eat a delicious meal? Are you hungry? Then you're gonna eat it.”
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Picasso wrote:Art is a lie which makes us recognise the truth.
--A
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like 'What about lunch?'" ~Pooh[/url][/spoiler][/list]
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”