In the kitchen with Cail.....

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Cail wrote:On a related note, I was called "the most confident heterosexual man in the world" by a woman at work for having the fortitude to bring baked goods that I'd made into a lumberyard.
I'm guessing she has never seen you in your kilt? Combine the two and she would have no doubt of the truth of her words. :)
Menolly wrote:Magic ingredient, Av...? ;)

:::thinking I have got to get Av to ship me a dozen chocolate chip cookies that will be off limits to Beorn...:::
Well, you probably figured out what it was then. :bounce03: ;)
:::thinking back to my very first initial post in the Stephen King forum (at least, I think it was my first post there. Within the first five, anyway):::

:::ah...memories:::
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, yes I remember it well. It was May...

:D

--A

Post by Avatar »

I remember most things. ;)

(It wasn't really May...that was an allusion to Gigi...you were supposed to come back with "...it was June." )

;)

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:::sorry, I just deleted my post as I felt it sounded too self centered before I realized you posted:::

Oh, duh...

"Ah yes, I remember it well..."

But, you did disorient me, as it looks like I posted way back in 2005 just a couple of months after first joining the Watch. So it took me two years from then to begin my DT journey...
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

If the WW flour makes the cookies too tough or mealy/gritty, use WW Pastry Flour instead -- it's the same whole wheat, but it's ground finer. My wife finds it at bakery stores and healthfood stores.

Another way to increase nutrition without fundamentally hosing the cookie is to replace X tablespoons of white flour with Organic Ground Whole Soybean Powder. This adds protein to an otherwise nutritionally unbalanced food. Depending on how big your X is, it shouldn't muck too much with the cc cookie flavor. We also add fiber powder, but that's because we enjoy cookies regularly (har-dee-har-har).

All experiments with Splenda have so far resulted in cakey, crumbly piles of bland cookie-chaff. It's a waste of chocolate...

For the chips, we like special stuff. You have to order them over the internet (from Menolly's neck of the woods, BTW), but we found sugar-free Belgian mini chocolate chips. They are made with sugar alcohol, so they don't factor into net carbs, but they still have a pretty good flavor. [the average chocolate chip is mostly sugar.]

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:For the chips, we like special stuff. You have to order them over the internet (from Menolly's neck of the woods, BTW), but we found sugar-free Belgian mini chocolate chips. They are made with sugar alcohol, so they don't factor into net carbs, but they still have a pretty good flavor. [the average chocolate chip is mostly sugar.]
Oh please, do tell!!!

The only consumable product I know of locally that's sold nationwide is Micanopy Gold Hot Sauce. I would love to know of another!
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Well, perhaps I misspoke. The place is out of Miami. You are in Gainesville? I hadn't noticed how far Miami is away from the rest of the world...

dw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yep...

Gator Town = Gainesville

However, we make the drive down to FIL's in Fort Lauderdale at least once a year. There used to be a low carb specialty store in Plantation, which is the last area we lived prior to coming north. What is the product called? I can probably find it at that store, if it still exits.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

The item we bought is :SUGAR FREE SEMI SWEET MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS

The link to the Miami company site is in my previous post.

dw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cool, thanks dw!

Post by Avatar »

Bloody nutritionists... (Yes, not quite, but you know what I mean. ;) )

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Finally did a second batch.

Went with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, and I added some tiny little Reese's cups along with the chips.

I think Cailette was a little light on the flour, but other than that, I think I'm making progress. The problem with the Reese's cups is that they're milk chocolate, which adds to the sweetness.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

What Cail? You want to mail us samples? I think that's a great idea! :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Cail wrote: The problem with the Reese's cups is that they're milk chocolate, which adds to the sweetness.
One could always use semi-sweet chocolate chips and top the cookies with, say, three Rees's Mini's half way through baking.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I used semi-sweet chips along with the Reese's Minis. I didn't follow my own advice and baked the first batch 2 hours after I mixed everything up. The second batch after staying in the fridge overnight was much better.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

On a related note, I was called "the most confident heterosexual man in the world" by a woman at work for having the fortitude to bring baked goods that I'd made into a lumberyard.
:haha:

About the applesauce-butter replacement, did you actually do that? And didn't the cookies get to hard?

(Good thread Cail, nice to see you in the galley)
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Yeah, Cail. . . awesome thread! And you're right. . . when using 100% real butter you have to chill to prevent too much spreading.

As far as what I would do with the WW flour, you would probably be best to go with the pastry flour as DW suggested. The WW pastry flour has less gluten than regular (or bread) flour. You need some gluten for cookies, but not a ton, and too much will result in bricks. :)

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I was too chicken to change the flour and add the applesauce this last batch. Next one I'll give it a whirl.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Cail wrote:I was too chicken to change the flour and add the applesauce this last batch. Next one I'll give it a whirl.
I have a hunch, that with the somewhat luxurious fat/starch ratio in the original recipe, you just might pull it off. It won't be the same cookies, but I think they will be quite nice. Perhaps tweaking(Spelling?) the amount of baking powder/raising agent by +30% might work wonders.

But of course, scientifically, you'd have to vary one factor at the time ;)
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Not sure why I came to this thread...but now that I've read it, I'm finding Cail's quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie to be oddly compelling.

Don't mind me, I'm just a clueless observer.

Return to “The Galley”