Just finished Wizard and Glass... (spoilers!!!)

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

duke
Giantfriend

Just finished Wizard and Glass... (spoilers!!!)

Post by duke »

... King wrote a love story!

There's so much to this novel, I'm not sure where to start. King seems to be using half a dozen different genres in this novel, from horror, to Western, to generic fantasy, and of course the main love story.

There's the abundance of sex and sexual references both in the story and in the prose, the captivating Susan, from her singing "Careless love" on her way to be examined by Rhea, all the way through to her tragic ending - I had tears streaming down my face while reading those last moments of Susans.

And did I mention funny? The initial scene with the 3 Coffin Hunters and Roland, Alain and Bert at the bar is hilarious, really laugh out loud funny.

King was channeling Dickens for W&G as well! Sheemie, Rhea, Jonas, even Cordelia, Hart Thorin with his crackling bones, such a large cast of diverse and entertaining characters.

The build up to this book was worth the pay-off, as up until W&G I really didnt know much about Roland or his past, and how he became the man who began The Gunslinger chasing the man in black.

This book will take a while to sink in. The love story really throws all of the death and violence and fantasy and plain weirdness and the Glass into relief - the violence has never felt so personal in a King story before.

Whether or not King has any "literary merit" I think misses the point. W&G made me laugh, cry, and care for the characters and what happened to them.

Cail is right, in my opinion, this is King's best work.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Agree, and probably the best of the whole series. (Although you can decide for yourself. ;) )

I particularly love getting Roland's back-story.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Glad you enjoyed it, Duke. :)

Onward to Salem's Lot?
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Menolly, yes, onwards to 'Salem's Lot. Only 5 books to go. Its like a long car ride, and the related novels are like taking a little side trip to see something of interest along the way.

Sometimes I can even hear the little kid in the back asking "Are we there yet?" :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*nodding*

How do you think I feel, with only 85 pages left of book VII?

Yet, I find I can still only read so much at a time...

Return to “Stephen King Forum”