Random Science News Thread

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:
LOLs to your funnies 😂

😘

And :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: to your other :oops:
Seriously, cheers mate

though .. you never fail to make me smile, and laugh, and smile, and frown in confusion, attentive, then smile, then laugh again LOL :lol: That is a brilliant asset for all brilliant humans :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

There are no laws of physics.

That should simply matters somewhat.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

MIT scientists created an AI-powered 'psychopath' named Norman

Don't they know it's going to find a way into a human body, escape MIT, and wreak havoc in the world?

What's the point of movies if we never learn from them?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

SWEET!

Just gotta make contact, befriend it, and it will protect me - it's only friend - by eradicating the world of all who might conceivably harm me.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

wayfriend wrote:MIT scientists created an AI-powered 'psychopath' named Norman

Don't they know it's going to find a way into a human body, escape MIT, and wreak havoc in the world?

What's the point of movies if we never learn from them?
WOWZA 8O youd think? right?
MIT has explored other projects that incorporate the dark side of data and machine learning. In 2016, some of the same Norman researchers launched "Nightmare Machine," which used deep learning to transform faces from pictures or places to look like they're out of a horror film. The goal was to see if machines could learn to scare people.
But why??? 8O

:LOLS:

The Deep Empathy tool I get ;) 🤷‍♀️😂
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:There are no laws of physics.

Good catch...I was just about to link that.
There was another article/interview recently...I think also at Quanta...talking about however much String had test/falsification troubles as physics, the field had yielded all kinds of new mathematical methods and tools.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Its all about the modern fusion cuisine ;) or so it would seem 😬
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

They make a big deal about "we're number one!" and the speed. Which is cool and all.
But the best thing is the AI-optimization of the machine.
Instead of instantly heading off to make a new/better one [which is what it seems like they plan] what they SHOULD do is mass produce the fucker, 25, 50, 100 or them, and put them to work.

Or at least license or sell the plans/specs to someone who would mass produce the fuckers.

Maybe they do plan something like that...but it doesn't mention it--it only mentions projects that will be run on the one machine.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6110 ... he-ai-era/
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:There are no laws of physics.

It's not a law so much as a guideline... :lol:

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Wow that supercomputer sounds amazing. And China have been operating one since 2013? This computer is 60 percent faster than TaihuLight 8O

And it already has commercial applications ..

Jeepers its exciting but also kinda scary actually .. particularly with its weapons design and development capability .. Im seeing Cyberdyne 😬
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Lets go offroading with DARPA tires to tracks new vehicle!!

www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/dar ... ocid=ientp
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Pretty cool. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Hahaha very cool 😎

I could use those tyres. We do a lot of off roading and they would be pretty handy. Just wait a few years and Im sure therell be commercial application and availability. :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Now this could be something.
An actual and probably possible to perform experiment to test and observe the connection/reconcilability of gravity in the quantum and GR. Two different articles about the same thing, linked at the bottom---together they provide more info/clarity.

On a different note...I found, but it's now pay-walled cuz I'm past my free limit, a claim by Penrose and a couple others that they've seen evidence for the CCC [super-simplified, and misleading: every universe expands much like ours until it's basically dead, BUT it's boundaries generate the Bang of a new universe...he and his cohorts say they see evidence of the previous in our current. NOTE: this has happened before from him, 10 years or so ago...this is NOT that evidence, it's new. So look around if interested. I haven't found a summary/article on it yet---but I'm sure some will come.]]

www.2physics.com/2012/01/quantum-comple ... meets.html

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/a-st ... um-gravity
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Interesting read about dark matter hurricane. Maybe we will obtain some answers about dark matter.

www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/scien ... ocid=ientp

"As our solar system speeds through the outer reaches of the Milky Way . it flies through dark matter at around 230 kilometres per second (around 143 miles per second). A study published Nov. 7 and lead by researchers at University of Zaragoza suggests that the dark matter present in the stream may be traveling at double that speed...giving us a much better chance of detecting dark matter"
Because the S1 stellar stream travels directly through the solar system, the dark matter hurricane is likely to cross the path of various detectors spread across the globe set up to detect these hypothetical particles. The study concedes that the current iterations of WIMP detectors will likely not see dark matter from the S1 stream. However, those are geared to detect "axionic dark matter", based on a hypothetical particle known as a axion."
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:Interesting read about dark matter hurricane. Maybe we will obtain some answers about dark matter.

www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/scien ... ocid=ientp

"As our solar system speeds through the outer reaches of the Milky Way . it flies through dark matter at around 230 kilometres per second (around 143 miles per second). A study published Nov. 7 and lead by researchers at University of Zaragoza suggests that the dark matter present in the stream may be traveling at double that speed...giving us a much better chance of detecting dark matter"
Because the S1 stellar stream travels directly through the solar system, the dark matter hurricane is likely to cross the path of various detectors spread across the globe set up to detect these hypothetical particles. The study concedes that the current iterations of WIMP detectors will likely not see dark matter from the S1 stream. However, those are geared to detect "axionic dark matter", based on a hypothetical particle known as a axion."
It sounds like a fantastic opportunity to learn more about our universe. I'm pleased about this, I think.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

https://neurobanter.com/2017/04/19/evid ... s-sort-of/

This is fascinating .. I dont understand it all, so if anyone has a specific interest in counsciousness and numerology please translate and interpret.

I gather that one of the findings or implications is that similar neural activity was detected in waking brains as in dreaming brains .. REM sleep .. in fact the suggestion might be that brain activity is higher.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Skyweir wrote:https://neurobanter.com/2017/04/19/evid ... s-sort-of/

This is fascinating .. I dont understand it all, so if anyone has a specific interest in counsciousness and numerology please translate and interpret.

I gather that one of the findings or implications is that similar neural activity was detected in waking brains as in dreaming brains .. REM sleep .. in fact the suggestion might be that brain activity is higher.
In the link provided by Skyweir was wrote:Overall, our study adds to a growing body of work - much of which has been led by Carhart-Harris and colleagues - that is now revealing the brain-basis of the psychedelic state. Our data show that a simple measure of neuronal signal diversity places the psychedelic state 'above' the normal waking state, in comparison to the lower diversity found in sleep and anesthesia. Taking this work forward stands to do much more than enhance our understanding of psychedelics. It may help expose how, why - and for whom - psychedelics may help alleviate the appalling suffering of psychiatric disorders like depression. And in the end, it may help us figure out how our normal everyday conscious experiences of the world, and the self, come to be.
After all, everything we experience - even when stone cold sober - is just a kind of 'controlled hallucination.' Our perceptions are just the brain's "best guess" of what's going on, reined in by sensory signals.
It's far from conclusive, as is often the case with ongoing research. It seems to add further likelihood to enhanced consciousness being a result of LSD use (despite this, I've never wanted to try the stuff and still don't). I wish them success in being able to use their research to treat people suffering from depression. That's about all I can think to say on this, Sky.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

China landing on the far side of the moon? The far side! Hell - did nobody see You Only Live Twice?

;)

Only kidding - good on em! Hope some interesting stuff comes out of it.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Loresraat”